Gen Con: Boba Fett Neat Item

Old July 27th 03, 08:23 AM
Big Sexy Greg Gray

Default Gen Con: Boba Fett Neat Item

While visiting the Paizo booth I picked up two of their limited edition silver
painted boba fett figures, I noticed that right next to the booth was the "Star
Wars" signing area, where Jeremy Bulloch was signing. While yes, it was a
screamingly painful george lucas shill 20 buck autograph, I figured it would
end up being a neat, rather unique and limited item. Besides, he was one I
haven't gotten yet.

I was tempted to grab Daniel Logan's (little boba fett) as well, but I didn't
think I could take another George Lucas hit to my pocket book. But I am very
happy with my Autographed Boba Fett Convention Release Action Figure.
Old July 27th 03, 08:29 AM
Barefootmk

that's funny. i saw a boatload of people getting that exact same item signed at
the san diego comic con last week. it's funny to see that logan has already
given up on trying to act more and going to signing at shows route. it's kind
of sad actually. some of these people could have done something good with their
lives, but they are sitting at booths signing their names for a couple of
bucks. maybe logan can come up wit ha cure for cancer or something, but he's
spending his summer vacation whoring it up for collectors.
Old July 28th 03, 04:17 AM
SJNComic

(Barefootmk) wrote in message ...
it's kind
of sad actually. some of these people could have done something good with their
lives, but they are sitting at booths signing their names for a couple of
bucks.

OK, here is my cynical take on someone commenting on other people's
lives... You could have done something good with your life also but
now you are sitting at a premiere for hours trying to get Tobey
Maguire to put a pen on a piece of paper so rent can be made... (OK,
maybe that is not your exact life description but get the message)

maybe logan can come up wit ha cure for cancer or something, but he's
spending his summer vacation whoring it up for collectors.

Yes, he is "whoring" it up but he is making money off of something he
did that will be immortalized on film... so are you "pimping" since
dealers sell their autos... it is the old question... who is worse,
the junkie or the dealer.

Why cast aspersions on others? Honestly, is life that bad for any of
us that we have to berate someone else's station and decisions in
life? And when then heck does your opinion of what one should do with
their life become the "correct" answer? I can see that your life path
and decisions have turned out wonderfully... in a car, following
someone so they can put pen to paper... now the order is.. God,
doctors, autograph hounds, scientists...

Sorry, crappy weekend.. had to vent... I had a nice IP meeting this
weekend with Sonny Shroyer and two weeks ago a nice encounter with
Stacy Keibler...

Commence the flaming...

Stephen
Old July 28th 03, 07:16 AM
Barefootmk

and stephen. what is your job? do you sit at a cubicle all day punching buttons
on a keyboard for a company who gives you a little money and some medical
benefits? at least an autograph collector basically runs his/her own business
and doesn't have to bow down to some companies rules and regulations just to
make ends meet. and the same goes for a paprazzi. see, you guys rip people
doing this for a living....but someone is buying autographs and there is a
market for it. so why shouldn't someone satisfy that market. soeone has to make
the socks you wear on your feet and that shirt on your back. do you rip in to
those factory worker. everyone goes to work somewhere. all i was saying is that
at least my life isn't about making money off something i did 20 years ago
without putting out anything new and not contributing to the world in any
fashion.
but are you on this site because you purchase autographs? cause you are
probably in my market one way or another.
Old July 28th 03, 07:49 AM
TaylorEhill

What paparazzi do is evil. If you want to do it, I understand. Just don't sit
there and tell me that it isn't evil.
Taylor
Old July 28th 03, 09:01 AM
Barefootmk

it's not eveil. it's quite intrusive. but here's how you stop paparazzi....QUIT
BUYING US MAGAZINE, AND ANY TABLOIDS. QUIT WATCHING TABLOID TV. QUIT CARING SO
MUCH ABOUT MOVIE STARS AND CELEBRITIES. QUIT COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS. QUIT
WATCHING MOVIES, TV AND READING THE PAPER. AND QUIT CARING ABOUT PEOPLE THAT DO
NOT DIRECTLY AFFECT YOUR LIVES.that is the only way to stop the paparazzi and
everything associated with it. start reading books, go out and cure cancer but
do not need to know what's going on in any celebrity's, quit caring about who's
dating orlando bloom or if ben affleck is cheating on jlo. stop buying albums
and quit worrying whether or not michael jackson slept with another 10 year old
boy.
what is evil is working for enron or some other company. what is evil is
stepping on other people and their families jsut to move your way up to middle
management. what is evil is owning a gas powered car, lawnmower and weedeater.
needing a 40 inch plus television and having satelite tv.needing a computer
with dsl or cable modem. that is evil. buying coffee at starbucks or coffee
bean, needing to buy your kids GAP clothes. that is evil. paprazzi are just
photographers. hell, most of the news you see are paparazzi, but because those
photographers don't photograph matt damon and photograph children geting killed
in bosnia but soldiers....they aren't paprazzi? those same photographers
followed people and snuck in to places they don't belong just to get a shocking
photo.....and isn't that basically the same "definition" of a paparazzi? grow
up.
Old July 28th 03, 02:41 PM
Dahoov2

Actually I sort of agree here. But mainly my thought was that Logan
and the kids doing this it's good and bad. It's GOOD if their parents
keep it in check and don't MAKE them do it. They could earn college
money and earn money for whatever like our kids do in the summers.
Why not? Right now, all we've seen from Logan is summer and weekend
shows. Has he done any shows during school? If so, that would be a
travesty.

Hey, if I were a celeb and I was on hiatus and wanted money for
whatever, I'd do the shows. If my kids needed something now, I'd
clean toilets if I had to and would hope people would not judge me for
that, so if I were a celeb, why is it different?

Old July 28th 03, 05:20 PM
ben

As a former papparazzi I would like to respond to all of this with a
view from both sides of the coin.

#1... Papparazzi only take pictures. They are not murderers or drug
sellers. It is only a photograph. If the star does not want to be
photographed, live in Austin, TX like Sandra Bullock or Connecticut
like Streep and many others. When in LA or NY or Europe, stars EXPECT
to be photographed. It goes with their job and they know it. Now,
they may not realize what this entails exactly, but they know if they
go out looking like they just woke up, they know that they may be
photographed. They made the choice.

#2... from the flipside, the money in being a papparazzi is so good,
that the people who do this can't help themselves. If someone is
throwing thousands of dollars at you to take a picture, most would do
it even if the other person did not want their picture taken. This
brings in the part of this job that nobody likes, i.e. following
people, staking them out and even inciting stuff by paying people to
write them tickets, etc. This all goes on. Every part of it and
more. Not such a glamorous job...

Unfortunately, barefoot is right about this one thing: The public and
their craving to know about these people make bounty hunters out of
photographers. Do not buy magazines or watch papparazzi tv if you
don't appreciate this sort of behavior. Don't blame the papparazzi.
Blame those that are making the big money from their pictures. Blame
US, E!, People, Globe, Enquirer, Star, and countless others.

As far as barefoot's claim that cubicles are evil... maybe. But no
more evil than sitting in your car all day long looking for a star's
license plate while driving around town. I mean, how much different
is a cube than your front seat of a stuffy car for 18 hours a day?
Barefoot doesn't realize that there is more to life than how many Sean
Connery's he can get. He has no family around him, no girlfriend, no
life away from chasing people all day. Most people that do
cubicle-type jobs put up with it because they have a family and want
to enjoy a life other than chasing stars to scribble their name.
Their joy is in seeing their kid walk or shoot a basket and that is
why they sit still for 8 hours a day. He may not want a part of that,
but most people do. And, 99.9% of people would not want his job.
This is why you have a job, barefoot. No sense in ridiculing others,
because they pay your salary.

However, there are ways to go about things like getting autographs,
but the stars do everything that they can to avoid it, and then wonder
why people follow them around. If they just would be more cooperative
when at premieres and spotted at restaurants, airports and hotels,
there would be no following or intrusive acts. It only takes a minute
or two. Ask John Travolta if he minds autograph guys. He signs and
they go away. Now ask someone like Britney Spears and, "Of course, I
can't stand them," she would say. But, she never signs. If she
signed when spotted out, which is quite frequently, nobody would chase
her around. If you satisfy a need, the demand for that need
drastically decreases. Same goes for papparazzi. If you want to
avoid the drasticness of the papparazzi, go to events and stand there
and smile with your new girlfriend until the digital cameras are all
filled up. The price for your photo will drop dramatically.

In other words, pose for photos when spotted, no matter what you look
like. Sign the autographs. Stars lives and all else's involved would
be much easier and more hassle free.

One man's opinion,
Ben
Old July 28th 03, 09:19 PM
Big Sexy Greg Gray

soooo.... I got an autographed action figure... proud of me?... (wondering what
the hell happened to this thread...)