Franking questions about a letter posted in US

Old March 18th 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Franking questions about a letter posted in US

The question refers to a letter apparently having the C6 format (4.5 x 6.4 -
have nothing in hand to measure it) that contains just a sheet of paper
(hence low weighted).

It was sent from and to New York City.

I wonder:

- Why was it franked twice, at two different dates?

- Why are the rates different?

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has only 2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

The scan of the right side (about 1/3) of the letter, zoomed, is shown he

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...ass-letter.jpg

--
Victor Manta

Old March 18th 12, 06:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...st-class-lette...

--
Victor Manta

Hello Victor:

To start , the two meter impressions came from two different types
of Pitney-Bowes machines.

Could we see the whole envelope, please?
This might give us some evidence as to the rates.

Blair

the reason for these rates.
Old March 18th 12, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 3/18/2012 1:05 PM, Blair (TC) wrote:
On Mar 18, 11:28 am, "Victor wrote:
The question refers to a letter apparently having the C6 format (4.5 x 6.4 -
have nothing in hand to measure it) that contains just a sheet of paper
(hence low weighted).

It was sent from and to New York City.

I wonder:

- Why was it franked twice, at two different dates?

- Why are the rates different?

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has only 2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

The scan of the right side (about 1/3) of the letter, zoomed, is shown he

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...st-class-lette...

To start , the two meter impressions came from two different types
of Pitney-Bowes machines.

On two different dates. Perhaps the envelop was part of an earlier
mailing, but misfed to the machine, and pulled out to be reused. Perhaps
someone was unsure if upside-down markings are valid.

Could we see the whole envelope, please?
This might give us some evidence as to the rates.

tjr

Old March 18th 12, 06:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 18, 11:28*am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
The question refers to a letter apparently having the C6 format (4.5 x 6.4 -
have nothing in hand to measure it) that contains just a sheet of paper
(hence low weighted).

It was sent from and to New York City.

I wonder:

- Why was it franked twice, at two different dates?

- Why are the rates different?

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has only 2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

The scan of the right side (about 1/3) of the letter, zoomed, is shown he

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...st-class-lette...

--
Victor Manta

Note:

45 cents is the US domestic rate for a first class letter up to 1
ounce.
(maximum size of up to 11.5 inches x 6.125 inches x .25 inches)

90 cents is the US domestic rate for a large envelope up to 1 ounce.
(maximum size of up to 15 inches x 12 inches x .75 inches)

Blair
Old March 18th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
[...]

Blair, Terry,

Many thanks for your answers - very useful, as usually.

First of all, not being used to US customary units, I misjudged the size of
the letter. Actually, the size is 4-1/2" x 10-3/8" (114 mm x 263 mm). It
corresponds then to the Commercial Envelope Size No. 11. I'm sorry for my
error.

From the note of Blair (see above) I deduct that the correct rate for such a
letter is 45 cents, which corresponds to the meter impression found where it
belongs, in the upper right corner of the envelope.

I'm tempted to agree with Terry's assumption that the envelope was reused,
after being initially incorrectly franked upside-down and in a wrong
position (on the right of the address window). I suppose that it was franked
for a heavier letter, which could explain the higher rate. This accident,
even if unhappy, will reduce a bit the deficit of the USPS, because it is
just as the wrong meter stamp was bought by a stamp collector, and therefore
(usually) didn't require servicing :-)

Thanks to Terry (thank you!) I learned today that the equivalent of the
German word Schleimball exists in English, in a very similar form. I have
no idea how the last dances look like because anyway the diagnosis was set
and the condition is incurable.

And last but not least, I have two good news to sha two of my articles
will be published this year by the newspaper of the AIJP. The bad news is
that I have first to write the second one. :-)

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old March 19th 12, 12:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sunday, 18 March 2012 11:28:04 UTC-4, Victor Manta wrote:

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has only 2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

--
Victor Manta

The meter type with the TWO zeroes for the dollars
is an older type used for many years.
The meter type with THREE zeroes is more recent.
(see the different inscriptions in the text.

I have only seen the latter type of meter used from
post offices, where large postage amounts may be
required.

I assume the vast majority of companies use under
$100.00 postage on a letter or parcel.

Also, I wouldn't want to be the clerk that accidentally
spent $450.00 to mail a 45 cent letter.

Blair

Old March 19th 12, 12:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sunday, 18 March 2012 11:28:04 UTC-4, Victor Manta wrote:

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has only 2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

http://www.artonstamps.org/Countries...ass-letter.jpg

--
Victor Manta

The meter type with three zeros is a more recent model.
I have only seen it used from post offices, which may
need larger postage amounts.

I would not want to be a postal clerk who accidentally

Old March 19th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
On Sunday, 18 March 2012 11:28:04 UTC-4, Victor Manta wrote:

- Why has the value on one metering stamp 3 leading zeros and it has only
2
on the other (maybe different postage meters used)?

--
Victor Manta

The meter type with the TWO zeroes for the dollars
is an older type used for many years.
The meter type with THREE zeroes is more recent.
(see the different inscriptions in the text.

I have only seen the latter type of meter used from
post offices, where large postage amounts may be
required.

I assume the vast majority of companies use under
$100.00 postage on a letter or parcel.

Also, I wouldn't want to be the clerk that accidentally
spent $450.00 to mail a 45 cent letter.

Blair

The letter was sent by a business with about 130 employees. The ZIP code on
the sender's address (10019) is the same that is printed on the both
impressions.

Maybe the manufacturer knows that the new meter has a long lifespan and it
expects that the postage rates will increase considerably...