A copperplate signature

Old May 1st 10, 11:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Ed[_7_]

Default A copperplate signature

I have been trying to decipher the signature that is linked below for
some time. I thinught that, perhaps, a group interested in writing
impliments might have contain some expertise in making sense of a
signature.

In any event, the signature is here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed
Old May 1st 10, 11:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Stephen Hust

Ed wrote:

I have been trying to decipher the signature that is linked
below for some time. I thinught that, perhaps, a group
interested in writing impliments might have contain some
expertise in making sense of a signature.

In any event, the signature is here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg

My guess: Mrs. Chas. [Charles] W. Storms.

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old May 2nd 10, 12:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Ed" wrote in message
I have been trying to decipher the signature that is linked below for
some time. I thinught that, perhaps, a group interested in writing
impliments might have contain some expertise in making sense of a
signature.

In any event, the signature is here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

My vote is for "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old May 2nd 10, 10:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."

I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version of
Spencerian, or a similar business hand. What era is it from?

Brian

Old May 2nd 10, 01:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Ed[_7_]

On May 2, 5:24*am, "Brian Ketterling" tweel6...@no-potted-meat-
products-peoplepc.com wrote:
I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."

I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version of
Spencerian, or a similar business hand. *What era is it from?

Brian
--

Good question. I would guess around 1900. It was thumbtacked to the
bottom of an old wooden sculpture.
Old May 2nd 10, 02:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in
message m...
I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."

I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version of
Spencerian, or a similar business hand.

It's curious that all her letters are neat and precise except for the "m"
that she left open and rather sprawling.

Old May 2nd 10, 03:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Brian Ketterling" writes:

I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."

I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version of
Spencerian, or a similar business hand. What era is it from?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It has many Spencerian type
qualities, and if it is from the early 1900s, that would probably still
be in the right range for some Spencerian writing.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Old May 2nd 10, 06:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Ed[_7_]

On May 2, 10:06*am, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
"Brian Ketterling" writes:
I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."
I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version of
Spencerian, or a similar business hand. *What era is it from?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It has many Spencerian type
qualities, and if it is from the early 1900s, that would probably still
be in the right range for some Spencerian writing.

* * Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

It could certainly be earlier, but probably not by much.

Here is a color close up of the last name.

Thanks for your thoughts...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aturelarge.jpg
Old May 4th 10, 03:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Bluesea" writes:

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in
message m...
I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."

I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version of
Spencerian, or a similar business hand.

It's curious that all her letters are neat and precise except for the "m"
that she left open and rather sprawling.

Actually, a lot of the letters have a similar distortion from what
would be the Spencerian I have in the handbooks I have read. The 'm'
isn't actually too far off, except that it has much more rounded tops
and joins at the bottom than would have been expected. A few of the
other letters are similarly distorted.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.
Old May 4th 10, 03:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

Ed writes:

On May 2, 10:06=A0am, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
"Brian Ketterling" write=

s:
I'll third that: "Mrs. Chas W. Storms."
I wouldn't really call it Copperplate, though -- more like her version o=

Spencerian, or a similar business hand. =A0What era is it from?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It has many Spencerian type
qualities, and if it is from the early 1900s, that would probably still
be in the right range for some Spencerian writing.

=A0 =A0 Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

It could certainly be earlier, but probably not by much.

Here is a color close up of the last name.

Thanks for your thoughts...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aturelarge.jpg

You know, I could also see Storrus or Stovus out of that too, but I
think Storms is probably the better guess. The angle on the last two
humps before the final s in that curve down on the left side instead of
out, which possible for an 'm' but not something I would expect given
the proportions of the rest of the letters.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

I write Copperplate (well 'ish') and I didn't realise it User1014 Pens & Pencils 9 December 27th 06 01:17 AM
Help with signature ID nope Autographs 6 March 12th 05 01:21 AM
COMERIE SIGNATURE GEM FT Jean-Marie Béland Hockey 0 April 3rd 04 04:45 PM
need 03 sp signature for set Bill and Kat Football (US) 0 February 23rd 04 08:36 PM
02/03 BAP SIGNATURE Schimek Hockey 0 August 30th 03 07:19 PM