REQ: Post your favorite pen!

Old April 13th 10, 05:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

Default REQ: Post your favorite pen!

In ,
Alan J wrote:

"Brian Ketterling"... wrote...
If I could figure out what solvent Parker used in their porous-point
refills, I'd try rewetting my dried-out ones so I could play with them.

If you mean the discontinued Parker "Felt Pens" (circa 1980?), plain water
should work OK. Do any modern refills fit in these things?

I guess "porous point" was the wrong term; Parker called them "Soft Tip Pen
Refills". They were essentially little markers that fit inside a pen body,
and were about 4-1/2" long and 1/4" in diameter. I don't know what pen
models were made in that version, except for the Big Red and "45". The
refills are no longer made.

I've tried water, which partially dissolves the ink, alcohol, which
dissolves another part, and a combination, which still doesn't do it. The
ink (in the one or two refills I have that are still good) has a distinctive
tang to the smell that I can't place, but associate with old
watercolor-style markers.

-- Brian

Old April 13th 10, 08:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in
message ...
In ,
Alan J wrote:

[...]

I just tracked down mine - it is the brushed steel type, so it's probably a
"45". The dried-up refill says "Parker Fibre-Tip Refill" on the side. From
time to time, I've tried various refills, without finding a good
alternative. The Pilot G2 rollerball inserts are about the right length, and
good quality. It should be possible to use a cone-shaped spacer to centre
the point properly, but I don't have the right tools to make one from
scratch.

Might the mystery solvent be isopropyl alcohol? That's miscible with water.

--
(for a working 'reply-to', change zzz to 99)

Old April 14th 10, 12:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

Default Post your favorite pen!

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
newsp.u9fp7wry0p3ku8@localhost...
Hey Everyone,

So, it's been quiet here, but I was just thinking that it would be really
cool if everyone could post up pictures of their favorite pens, either
their favorite no-use pen or their favorite pen that they use to write
with, maybe both? It would be interesting to see what everyone uses, as
well as the condition of the pen. Besides, I haven't seen enough action
in alt.binaries.pens-pencils. :-)

No pics, but my favorite is still the Namiki Falcon (fine) and I'm quite
attached to the Kaweco Sport Ices.

I'm enchanted with the medium Falcon, black plastic type. It is so light,
you could write with it all day. If I had a time machine, I would send one
of these back to my younger self, ready to take all those wretched lecture
notes...

--
(for a valid 'reply-to', change 'zzz' to '99')

Old April 14th 10, 05:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Alan J wrote:

...It should be possible to use a cone-shaped spacer to centre
the point properly, but I don't have the right tools to make one from
scratch.

That's good thinking on your part! Parker made a set of adapters to do
exactly that with their ballpoint refills. One part is a centering adapter
that slips over the point and front of the reservoir, and the other is an
extender that goes onto the back of the refill. Parker doesn't make those
anymore either, but you might be able to pick up a pen that still has them.

Might the mystery solvent be isopropyl alcohol? That's miscible with

water.

It's probably one of the things I've tried, but I'll double-check. I think
the vehicle is mostly water, plus *something*.

Brian

Old April 15th 10, 02:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Alan J" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
newsp.u9fp7wry0p3ku8@localhost...
Hey Everyone,

So, it's been quiet here, but I was just thinking that it would be
really cool if everyone could post up pictures of their favorite pens,
either their favorite no-use pen or their favorite pen that they use to
write with, maybe both? It would be interesting to see what everyone
uses, as well as the condition of the pen. Besides, I haven't seen
enough action in alt.binaries.pens-pencils. :-)

No pics, but my favorite is still the Namiki Falcon (fine) and I'm quite
attached to the Kaweco Sport Ices.

I'm enchanted with the medium Falcon, black plastic type. It is so light,
you could write with it all day. If I had a time machine, I would send one
of these back to my younger self, ready to take all those wretched lecture
notes...

Yes, I had a hard time choosing between the fine and the medium because the
medium is so smoooooth. The fine won out because I prefer the way the line
looks, but my second Falcon was the medium.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old April 15th 10, 10:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Alan J" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

snip Aaron's request for favourites

No pics, but my favorite is still the Namiki Falcon (fine) and I'm quite
attached to the Kaweco Sport Ices.

I'm enchanted with the medium Falcon, black plastic type. It is so light,
you could write with it all day. If I had a time machine, I would send
one of these back to my younger self, ready to take all those wretched
lecture notes...

Yes, I had a hard time choosing between the fine and the medium because
the medium is so smoooooth. The fine won out because I prefer the way the
line looks, but my second Falcon was the medium.

I liked the fine one too, but it felt more fragile, and less smooth. I
wonder if the metal-bodied ones are any good? I doubt if a heavier version
would be an improvement.

--
(for a working 'reply-to', change zzz to 99)

Old April 16th 10, 12:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Alan J" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Alan J" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

snip Aaron's request for favourites

No pics, but my favorite is still the Namiki Falcon (fine) and I'm
quite attached to the Kaweco Sport Ices.

I'm enchanted with the medium Falcon, black plastic type. It is so
light, you could write with it all day. If I had a time machine, I would
send one of these back to my younger self, ready to take all those
wretched lecture notes...

Yes, I had a hard time choosing between the fine and the medium because
the medium is so smoooooth. The fine won out because I prefer the way the
line looks, but my second Falcon was the medium.

I liked the fine one too, but it felt more fragile, and less smooth. I
wonder if the metal-bodied ones are any good? I doubt if a heavier version
would be an improvement.

I know. Having missed out on the burgundy and getting (maybe) the last blue
available through a regular retail store with an online presence (i.e. not
eBay), I like the idea of different colored pens. However, the other metal
pens that I have are heavier and hand fatigue becomes an issue with long
writing sessions.

Old April 30th 10, 10:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
doug00i

On Mar 12, 4:20*am, "Aaron W. Hsu" wrote:
Hey Everyone,

So, it's been quiet here, but I was just thinking that it would be really *
cool if everyone could post up pictures of their favorite pens, either *
their favorite no-use pen or their favorite pen that they use to write *
with, maybe both? It would be interesting to see what everyone uses, as *
well as the condition of the pen. Besides, I haven't seen enough action in *
alt.binaries.pens-pencils. :-)

* * * * Aaron W. Hsu

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

[IMG]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx314/dougc001_photo/
ElegantMedium02.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 2nd 10, 03:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

doug00i writes:

On Mar 12, 4:20=A0am, "Aaron W. Hsu" wrote:
Hey Everyone,

So, it's been quiet here, but I was just thinking that it would be really=

=A0
cool if everyone could post up pictures of their favorite pens, either =

=A0
their favorite no-use pen or their favorite pen that they use to write =

=A0
with, maybe both? It would be interesting to see what everyone uses, as =

=A0
well as the condition of the pen. Besides, I haven't seen enough action i=

n =A0
alt.binaries.pens-pencils. :-)

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Aaron W. Hsu

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

[IMG]http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx314/dougc001_photo/
ElegantMedium02.jpg[/IMG]

Oh, nice, and interesting. Is this what you use daily? Is it a
rollerball or a ballpoint? It reminds me of those large width rollout
pencils that I used to see in some magazines. I never did get one.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.