2006-P Dimes in Portland, OR area

Old May 14th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 2006-P Dimes in Portland, OR area

As usual for this time of year, the 2006 coins are showing up in number
in my area. I've seen 2006-D cents, 2006-D nickels, 2006-D Nevada and
Nebraska quarters, and ... 2006 *P* dimes - several of them.

Anybody else on the left coast seeing "P" mint dimes like this? Or did
the Portland area get a misdirected shipment of the things?

Very odd...

--
Jim Seymour
Old May 15th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jim Seymour" wrote in message
As usual for this time of year, the 2006 coins are showing up in number in my
area. I've seen 2006-D cents, 2006-D nickels, 2006-D Nevada and Nebraska
quarters, and ... 2006 *P* dimes - several of them.

Anybody else on the left coast seeing "P" mint dimes like this? Or did the
Portland area get a misdirected shipment of the things?

Very odd...

I'll bet that Roosevelt dimes are the least looked-at of our coins in
circulation by collectors. I can't remember the last time I ever checked the
date on a dime. No real reason to, as far as potential rarities go. Except for
the metal change, they've looked essentially the same (boring?) now for 60
years.

I will admit, though, to peeking at three brilliant dimes I received in change
at one store a week or so ago. They were all 2006-P, but then I'm over here on
the early coast, time-wise.

Bruce

Old May 15th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"Jim Seymour" wrote in message
As usual for this time of year, the 2006 coins are showing up in number

in my
area. I've seen 2006-D cents, 2006-D nickels, 2006-D Nevada and

Nebraska
quarters, and ... 2006 *P* dimes - several of them.

Anybody else on the left coast seeing "P" mint dimes like this? Or did

the
Portland area get a misdirected shipment of the things?

Very odd...

There probably was a shortage of D dimes so they ship over P's.
Dimes are really getting a lot more circulation the last couple of
years--you can see this by the upswing in total mintages. Usually I can find
both P's and D's here in Mich. without too much trouble.

I'll bet that Roosevelt dimes are the least looked-at of our coins in
circulation by collectors. I can't remember the last time I ever checked

the
date on a dime. No real reason to, as far as potential rarities go.

Except for
the metal change, they've looked essentially the same (boring?) now for 60
years.

I will admit, though, to peeking at three brilliant dimes I received in

change
at one store a week or so ago. They were all 2006-P, but then I'm over

here on
the early coast, time-wise.

Bruce

If they're not FB, errors or really ultra-high grades you can forget it with
most Roosies. The only variety that's worthy is the '82P-no P. Supposedly
only around 10-20K were made at the Sandusky OH US Mint facility. Then
there's the '96W--which is the only business strike coin that the West Point
facility has ever made--so far. These are availiable in US mint sets but
there's no scarcity since they were included in the sets instead of released
out into circulation.
BU rolls are hard to find certian years for. Just not too many people saved
up any rolls post-'64. In fact Roosevelt rolls will be hundreds of times
scarcer than any SHQ will ever be for sure.

Old May 15th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

WOW--that is strainge! I have lived in the Sandusky area all my life (was
born in Sandusky) and I did not have a clue that they minted coins here.
Live and learn I guess.

Tim

Old May 15th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Mon, 15 May 2006 11:28:16 GMT, Tim & Jinny wrote:
WOW--that is strainge! I have lived in the Sandusky area all my life (was
born in Sandusky) and I did not have a clue that they minted coins here.
Live and learn I guess.

Ah, Sandusky. Gotta love Cedar Point. "The Gemini", isn't it? The
dual track racing rollercoaster?
Old May 15th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 15 May 2006 12:07:17 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2006 11:28:16 GMT, Tim & Jinny wrote:
WOW--that is strainge! I have lived in the Sandusky area all my life (was
born in Sandusky) and I did not have a clue that they minted coins here.
Live and learn I guess.

Ah, Sandusky. Gotta love Cedar Point. "The Gemini", isn't it? The
dual track racing rollercoaster?

I rode Gemini last wednesday, My kids had a day off of school for not
using up all of their snow days. Unfortunately, the park was pretty
deserted, so they only ran one side of Gemini. We did ride the
newest ride, it was a great feeling, but the seats are kind of
uncomfortable for just about everybody.

OTOH, I would just love to see the Sandusky Mint facility ;-)

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old May 15th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

bri wrote:
There probably was a shortage of D dimes so they ship over P's.

That seems the likely explanation. The odd part is that I asked friends
and family to go through their change and found that the "P" mints are
also being found in Salem - an hour's drive south on the freeway.

I'm still waiting to find some "D" mints...

--
Jim Seymour