Search Engine 'Fun'.

Old August 12th 03, 04:59 PM
J. A. Mc.

Default Search Engine 'Fun'.

In looking at David's "Auction(s) of the Week", I thought I'd check
Yaboo for any Penny Reds or other UK material I'm hunting.

Unfortunately (as do many US dealers) they confuse the Commonwealth
with Great Britain and lump them all as 'one'.

"Can I help you?"
"I'm looking for Great Britain"
"Oh, yes, I have some very nice Canada!"

To separate out ... I tried a simple search.

They responded; with; " No Search Results found for GB or Britain in
British Commonwealth".

Old August 13th 03, 10:00 AM
David F.

In looking at David's "Auction(s) of the Week", I thought I'd check
Yaboo for any Penny Reds or other UK material I'm hunting.

Unfortunately (as do many US dealers) they confuse the Commonwealth
with Great Britain and lump them all as 'one'.

"Can I help you?"
"I'm looking for Great Britain"
"Oh, yes, I have some very nice Canada!"

To separate out ... I tried a simple search.

They responded; with; " No Search Results found for GB or Britain in
British Commonwealth".

You know that GB stamps do not have the country name on them.
The sellers on Yahoo are just following that tradition.

= Eric

Behold! I am a collector of "Stamps With No Name"!

David.

Old August 13th 03, 06:45 PM
Steve Grant

"J. A. Mc." wrote in message

Yep ... humor G

FWIW There are several hundred GB listings in the "Commonwealth"
section Just that the search engine failed to parse the search
properly and produced the little line of (to me) humor.

Shouldn't that be "humour"?

Old August 16th 03, 03:13 PM
TC

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:39:12 +0200, "bc92" wrote:

In ,
J. A. Mc. complained:
In looking at David's "Auction(s) of the Week", I thought I'd check
Yaboo for any Penny Reds or other UK material I'm hunting.

Unfortunately (as do many US dealers) they confuse the Commonwealth
with Great Britain and lump them all as 'one'.

"Can I help you?"
"I'm looking for Great Britain"
"Oh, yes, I have some very nice Canada!"

To separate out ... I tried a simple search.

They responded; with; " No Search Results found for GB or Britain in
British Commonwealth".

Hi,

I fail to see the problem,
In my version of Yahoo.com (US), Great Britain items are found in the
"United Kingdom" list, which appears in "Europe", not "British
Commonwealth".
Am I missing something ?

No. Other than the UK is also part of the Commonwealth,
as are Malta, Gibraltar and Cyprus which are all
(I believe) also in Europe - if not the European Union.

Blair

Old August 17th 03, 03:34 PM
Douglas MYALL

A.E. Gelat wrote in article
TC, Cyprus is in Asia, even though the Greek majority is European.

Tony

Both Cyprus and Turkey are in Europe according to Royal Mail.

Douglas