Safe ink for Pelikan

Old August 12th 03, 02:25 PM
David J Bockman

Looks like Pelikan is farming out their production to the Chinese company
responsible for 'Happy Fun Ball'. P

Dave

"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
. ..
Messer wrote:
I recently bougth Pelikan 250 pen, I really enjoy it and I want to
keep it in good condition a long a possible... Pelikan itself says that
the most suitable ink for their pen is their "4001" ....but I don't like
blue 4001-

Is there some deep blue, Pelikan-friendly ink?

Shhh... don't let the pen hear you.
No, there isn't. You must learn to like Pelikan ink. If you don't, you
shouldn't have bought the pen.

See the warnings that came with your new Pelikan pen:
"Use only Pelikan ink or the pen can spontaneously combust. Also, using
any other brand ink voids the warranty. Other inks can gum up the entire
inner workings of the Pelikan. It's a fussy pen prone to outbursts. Do
not yell at your Pelikan. Do not taunt or tease your Pelikan. If pen
starts to glow - discontinue use, duck and run for cover. Your Pelikan
pen was made from an unknown substance that fell to earth in a meteor.
Enjoy your new Pelikan pen."

Nancy

Old August 13th 03, 01:04 AM
Howie The Hammer

Never use any thing but Pelikan ink in a Pelikan pen. I once tried Parker
ink and my pen leaked ink all over my jacket. My friend once used Omas red
ink in his Pelikan M800, he received a very nasty letter from Charpak.
His warranty was cancelled!!!!
Beware...

Old August 13th 03, 01:32 AM

Howie The Hammer wrote:

Never use any thing but Pelikan ink in a Pelikan pen. I once tried Parker
ink and my pen leaked ink all over my jacket. My friend once used Omas red
ink in his Pelikan M800, he received a very nasty letter from Charpak.
His warranty was cancelled!!!!
Beware...

You ARE kidding, right? Frank
Old August 13th 03, 01:42 AM

Howie The Hammer wrote:
My friend once used Omas red
ink in his Pelikan M800, he received a very nasty letter from Charpak.
His warranty was cancelled!!!

Of course the mere fact that such a letter is illegal under federal law
would not matter. Any third party ink can be used in any devise using
ink (or toner) and this in no way is allowed to void a warantee unless
the manufactuer can prove beyond any doubt the third party ink damaged
the device to the extent that repairs are needed that would otherwise
not have been required with their own ink. It is totally ILLEGAL for
any company to require that you use their own make of ink or refills.
This applies to pens, printers, duplicators, copiers, and so on. No
matter what brand of ink you put in a pen the warantee still applies
unless you are stupid enough to put non-fountain pen ink in your pen.
In other words, fill your pen with copier toner, and you are really on
your own. And plain nuts too. FD

Old August 13th 03, 05:41 AM

kcat wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:42:49 -0400, wrote:

Howie The Hammer wrote:
My friend once used Omas red
ink in his Pelikan M800, he received a very nasty letter from Charpak.
His warranty was cancelled!!!

Of course the mere fact that such a letter is illegal under federal law
would not matter. Any third party ink can be used in any devise using
ink (or toner) and this in no way is allowed to void a warantee unless
the manufactuer can prove beyond any doubt the third party ink damaged
the device to the extent that repairs are needed that would otherwise
not have been required with their own ink.

I know nothing about the law (okay, very little) of such things. If
this is true though - how do so many printer companies get away with
just that statement? Every printer I've ever purchased has said that
the warranty was void if non-proprietary inks were used. I've not
been concerned about it and I'm sure it's utter nonsense. But if it's
"completely illegal"...

ask any lawyer or your attorney general's office. or go to many third
party ink jet printer ink makers (do a search) and some have the letter
of the law and various court decisions clearly posted in such matters.
or to quote from PCWORLD magazine "some printer companies have led
consumers to believe that using refill kits will void printer
warranties, but Hewlett-Packard, Epson, and other vendors with whom we
spoke say that simply isn't true. A company may legally charge for any
printer repairs caused by a leaky refilled cartridge, but it must honor
the warranty for other types of repairs." ...from "Beating the high
price of printer ink" article.. June 1999. Frank
Old August 13th 03, 05:45 AM

still more--
from inksite.com

Consumers are often told by printer dealers' sales or service personnel
that competitive brands of ink cannot be used in the consumer's printer
during the warranty period. The claim is made that the use of
competitive brand inks will "void the warranty," with the statement or
implication that only the original equipment brand of ink may be used.
This, of course, tends to cast doubt as to the quality of the
replacement ink.

That claim is not true. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and general
principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not
require the use of any brand of ink (or any other article) unless the
manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the
warranty.

So, if you are told that only the original equipment ink will not void
the warranty, you should request that the original equipment ink be
supplied free of charge. If you are charged for the manufacturer's brand
of ink, this may be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or
other applicable law.
Old August 13th 03, 06:27 PM
kcat

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 00:45:25 -0400, wrote:

That claim is not true. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and general
principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not
require the use of any brand of ink (or any other article) unless the
manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the
warranty.

When was this Act implemented?

So, if you are told that only the original equipment ink will not void
the warranty, you should request that the original equipment ink be
supplied free of charge. If you are charged for the manufacturer's brand
of ink, this may be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or
other applicable law.

well - I'm not "told" this - the paperwork that comes with the printer
says as much. But - to be honest, I didn't look at the most recent
printer purchases for such warnings so perhaps it's only on the older
printers (specifically Can*n) that this claim was made.

And perhaps these threats for void of warranty are worded such that
they get through the legalities (or illegalities as the case may be)
but still intimidate the customer into believing that the warranty
will be voided.

I'd have to look back at the wording precisely to know and eh.. not
that interested in doing so right now. :P

I wonder if one of the "loopholes" is that most printers come with one
set of cartridges "free" (of course, you're paying for them as much as
for the printer.)

eh... just wonderin'. Semantics play a huge role in how these things
are interpreted and implemented.

thanks for the input.