Swapping stamps

Old March 30th 04, 04:11 PM
Friedrich 'Friedi' Holz

Default Swapping stamps

Hi,

I am from Germany and would like to ask for autographs at international
stars.
Is there any plattform in the internet where for example German stamps
can be changed to British or Australian ones?

For example: I send German stamps to a guy from UK and he sends British
stamps to me (same value as far as possible of course).

I searched trough the web and found nothing like this. Maybe I cannot
search good with english language.

Regards,
Friedi

Old March 30th 04, 04:34 PM
dahoov2

I think you probably have found the only place for that. I've looked
for such places before too. Someone here tried to start a page to swap
stamps but I don't know how that's working.

I myself and in need of UK stamps, Australian Stamps and Canadian
stamps.

The best thing to do is become email freindly with people from around
the world that collect.

Germany is a tough one. I say that only because not many celebs we
need to write to probably are there. In my nine plus years of
collecting, personally, I think I may have sent to Germany twice in
total. Once for sure but that's not enough for me to be swapping.

So if that's the case and you can't find anyone to swap, I have a
suggestion for you.... there are stamp sellers (I can't spell the name
they call it...palenthatic or something like that). Look that
spelling up and go to Ebay and try to find dealers selling uncancelled
stamps. Usually, you can find some selling what you need. They may
be horrified for what you're using them for, so don't tell them.

If you need lots of stamps, may I suggest ordering with a credit card
or money order from other countries. I have a listing of Postoffice
sites on my site he

http://www.starwarsautographcollecti...esTemplate.htm

If you can't find someone to swap, what you need on Ebay, don't want
to order from the site, then the only thing left is using
International Response Coupons. My site explains those too.

Good luck.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old March 30th 04, 06:03 PM
Friedrich 'Friedi' Holz

dahoov2 schrieb:

Germany is a tough one. I say that only because not many celebs we
need to write to probably are there. In my nine plus years of
collecting, personally, I think I may have sent to Germany twice in
total. Once for sure but that's not enough for me to be swapping.

I imagined sth. like this, German stars are not very famous in the
world. Germany has no "Hollywood" or sth. like that. Great films mostly
come from the US, German films are "exportet" unusual.

Usually, you can find some selling what you need. They may
be horrified for what you're using them for, so don't tell them.

Yes, perhaps. But why do not tell them? I mean, I never tell a seller
what I do with the products I bought, but why might they get horrified?
They should be happy to have a buyer.

If you need lots of stamps, may I suggest ordering with a credit card
or money order from other countries. I have a listing of Postoffice
sites on my site he

Yes, I ordered stamps from the US-postal service (USPS). Because of the
high EUR/USD charge they were quite cheap. I bought 40 stamps, so if
somebody likes to change British stamps against some of my US-stamps,
please email me.
I donot want to pay the high shipping costs, because I only need a few
British and Australian stamps. And on german Ebay I found no stamps.

If you can't find someone to swap, what you need on Ebay, don't want
to order from the site, then the only thing left is using
International Response Coupons. My site explains those too.

But often stars do not like them and do not answer. So I think it is a
better solution to send SASE.

Good luck.

Thanks for this and your detailed reply.

Best Regards from Germany
Friedi

Old March 30th 04, 07:27 PM
dahoov2

Yes, perhaps. But why do not tell them? I mean, I never tell a seller
what I do with the products I bought, but why might they get horrified?
They should be happy to have a buyer.

Well, I contacted a couple of dealers and told them what I wanted the
stamps for, and they did not answer me back. I don't know for sure,
but sometimes they sell nice sets that they want collectors to keep;
and maybe they hate the idea someone will use them for regular mail.
Of course I agree they should be happy, but just in case, I just avoid
fron now on telling them what I want them for. It's not their
business anyway and as you said, they should be happy. But let's just
say some are passionate about stamp collecting as we are about
autograph collecting. Some things we do not like people doing....like
not sending SASEs and so some are prone not to help those people. So
better safe than sorry? Just a thought.

nd on german Ebay I found no stamps.

You can try maybe some stamp or coin stores in Germany perhaps?

But often stars do not like them and do not answer. So I think it is a
better solution to send SASE.

I tend to agree with you on this point. Not all of them know how to
use it and even if they do, they may forget them or worse yet, have
someone send out their mail for them who they have to explain it
to.... or even worse, have to make a trip to the post office rather
than dropping in any mail box or leaving on their boxes...
inconveniencing them. Stamps are way more convenient. However, when
I wrote to Germany, I just used that as I didn't see the point of
trading/buying ONE or TWO stamps. That's when IRC's are handy I
think.

Thanks for this and your detailed reply.

You're most welcome.

Old March 30th 04, 10:16 PM
Barb

I tried to buy stamps from Britain and Austrailia from the post
offices... I was told due to the high cost of conversion they couln't
take money orders...likewise I emailed a ebay dealer in London and asked
if I could pay by money order and he told me only if I added 15.00 to
the total...which is what his bank charges him...My bank charges the
same fees to convert foreign money orders and cash...
I was able to trade a few times for British stamps...but nowhere near
enough to cover my needs(seems all my fave celebs are British :-) )
Barb

snip

Old March 31st 04, 04:57 AM
Bcoton

I still believe it is much cheaper to buy in bulk from the post office.

Another thing: do you have access to foreign currency? I know several people
abroad will send US dollars to cover the expense since lets face it most stars
have to go to LA. Most of the time the money is sent back to you but it is an
idea.
Old March 31st 04, 08:12 AM
Friedrich 'Friedi' Holz

dahoov2 schrieb:

nd on german Ebay I found no stamps.

You can try maybe some stamp or coin stores in Germany perhaps?

There is no such store right here in my town. I think these stores are
uneconomical. There are a few internet dealers in Germany where you can
get these stamps. But they have high prices for the stamps, so I think
swapping is better and cheaper.
But I got email replies from others who are interested in swapping with
me. :-)

Regards,
Friedi

Old March 31st 04, 11:27 PM
Dan C

I know that's true with a lot of people, but interestingly I have never had
my money returned to me.

Old April 1st 04, 02:54 AM
Barb

I have done that a few times...once my money was returned(Daniel
Radcliffe) the rest kept the money i sent..I would still prefer to send
stamps as it makes it easier for the person I am requesting an autograph
from. Maybe I should try pal-pal again...maybe they have tightened their
security...

Old April 1st 04, 05:38 AM
Dan C

What do you think about the idea if you write a check or something. It's not
valid unless it's cashed, and if it's not, you don't really lose anything.
Only drawbacks I can think of is that your check probably has a lot of
personal information on it and maybe it would be a hassle for them to go out
to a bank.