Anyone interested in a Summer Swap?

Old February 22nd 04, 10:27 PM
John Patrick

Default Anyone interested in a Summer Swap?

I've been toying with this thought for a while.

The Christmas/Holiday swap is quite a successful r.c.c. staple,
so why limit it to once a year?

I'm thinking about a Summer Swap, with things just a bit different.
Basically, instead of multiple categories, it's just one category:

Approx $15.

No "Under $$$" amount, since that might lead to a non-equal trade.

Most people can afford $15 to buy some coin(s), especially given
that they'll get back a coin(s) in the same price range.

And perhaps instead of a quid pro quo swap, it's a "chain" swap,
where A gives to B, and B gives to C, and C gives to D, and D gives
to A. Hence, the person you're giving something to isn't the same
person that you're getting something from. I can see some abuse
of this, especially the "pass the buck" swap, where B gets a gift
from A and then sends that same gift to C...

Thoughts? Ideas? Would you do this?

Perhaps a June date would work out.

John

Old February 22nd 04, 10:52 PM
Bruce Remick

"John Patrick" wrote in message
m...
I've been toying with this thought for a while.

The Christmas/Holiday swap is quite a successful r.c.c. staple,
so why limit it to once a year?

I'm thinking about a Summer Swap, with things just a bit different.
Basically, instead of multiple categories, it's just one category:

I'll play! I enjoyed the Christmas swap and have some duplicate gold coins
I want to unload.

Bruce

Old February 22nd 04, 11:02 PM
Larry Louks

John Patrick wrote:
Thoughts? Ideas? Would you do this?

Sounds like more fun for those who desire to participate in such an event.
Count me in!

A quick comment -- if this Summer Swap does take place, I would sincerely
hope that each one participating would respond to email, and at the very
least, would let the giver know that the item(s) have been received.
Otherwise, don't bother to sign up.

Larry
'not much cogitation required'

Old February 22nd 04, 11:14 PM
Dale Hallmark

A summer swap is much more doable for me than the Christmas swap
where my wife becomes an alien and spends money for gifts for lots people I
suspect I really should know.
I think I might participate. Not sure about the pass the buck concept but
will go with the crowd.

Dale

Old February 22nd 04, 11:17 PM
L. C. Oliver

How 'bout a little more explanation for us newbies? What is this and
how does it work, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Lamar

Old February 22nd 04, 11:19 PM
L. C. Oliver

For the benefit of some of us newbies, could you explain what all is
involved in y'all's swaps? Organization, logistics, etc.

Pardon the naive nature of the question but I don't want to
mis-interpret anything.

Thanks,
L.C. Oliver

Old February 22nd 04, 11:23 PM
Gary Loveless

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:27:01 GMT, "John Patrick"
wrote:

[...]

If you can get enough people count me in

Regards,

Gary Loveless

'paging BOBBY SHAW..........paging BOBBY SHAW..........'

Old February 22nd 04, 11:51 PM
Bruce Remick

"John Patrick" wrote in message
m...
Ed Hendricks wrote:

Do I hear you volunteering to organize this thing, John? If so,
count me in.

Sure, I'd organize it. Of course, as I've proposed it, it's a much
easier task than the holiday swap.

Famous last words........

But is everyone OK with a single category and the "chain swap" idea?

Why not? We would never know who our swap partner will be regardless of how
it's determined.

And if June is too far in the future, it could be changed to a
Spring Swap....

Your call, swap-meister. Once the smoke clears, you might reiterate any
"rules" and set a date when you'll notify everyone who their partner is.
Will it be up to each pair how they choose to run their own swap, maybe
comparing collecting preferences, etc.? Although with a 15 bucks limit, I'd
probably rather be surprised with something I don't already specialize in.

Bruce

Old February 23rd 04, 12:21 AM
Enalk3430

Let's do it! -Ken

RCC HOLIDAY swap Yousri Ahmad Coins 2 December 27th 03 05:31 PM
Holiday Swap update BobbyShaw Coins 5 November 15th 03 02:27 PM
HOLIDAY SWAP entry form: (FINAL post!) BobbyShaw Coins 2 November 11th 03 09:51 PM
HOLIDAY SWAP entry form (3rd posting) BobbyShaw Coins 0 November 9th 03 04:27 AM
FS: "1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics" Shirt Jim Sinclair General 0 July 7th 03 06:00 AM