TimesBooks edition question

Old September 24th 05, 11:01 PM
my-wings

Default TimesBooks edition question

I picked up a book by Times Books, which is a division of Random House. It
has a number line of 9876542 followed by the words First Edition.

I know there are other divisions of Random House (Villard leaps to mind)
that follow the Random House convention of number lines beginning with "2"
and stating First Edition on the first printing, but McBride's doesn't
mention this for Times Books (as it does for Villard).

Does anyone know for sure whether a first edition of Times Books would
include a "1" in the number line?

Thanks.

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old September 27th 05, 03:09 PM
Timdo99

McBride states N (Numberline) or NAP (No Additional Printings) for
Time-Life post-1975. This means full numberline including the 1, since
there is no notation of the Random House peculiarity as noted his
entries for Random and Villard. Of course, this doesn't mean there
aren't exceptions, but I'm not aware of any.

Regards, Tim

Old September 27th 05, 03:32 PM
Jon Meyers

my-wings wrote:
I picked up a book by Times Books, which is a division of Random House. It
has a number line of 9876542 followed by the words First Edition.

I know there are other divisions of Random House (Villard leaps to mind)
that follow the Random House convention of number lines beginning with "2"
and stating First Edition on the first printing, but McBride's doesn't
mention this for Times Books (as it does for Villard).

Does anyone know for sure whether a first edition of Times Books would
include a "1" in the number line?

For a long time, I thought RH used the 2-line only in RH-imprint,
Villard, and Turtle Bay books. But a couple years ago I ran across a
Pantheon title from the late '60s that carried the characteristic RH
"First Edition" plus numberline down to 2.

I also have two Times Book publications that show the same--Red: A
Biography of Red Smith, by Ira Berkow (1986); and Hardball, by Bowie
Kuhn (1987)--and I doubt either of these made it into later printings.

--Jon Meyers
Old September 28th 05, 04:28 AM
my-wings

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
my-wings wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jon. The book I have is *Brotherhood of Arms: General Dynamics and
the Business of Defending America*. I'm sure it went through a few
printings, but neither the first nor the later printings are very high in
value, so I'll just list it as a second with a note explaining why it could
possibly be a first. I think the readers attracted to this book are probably
more interested in the content than the edition anyway.

Alice