Pilgrim's Progress

Old September 16th 05, 10:49 AM
Andy Dingley

On 14 Sep 2005 18:23:34 -0700, "Bunyan" wrote:

The first book I am investigating is an Altemus' Edition of Pilgrim's
Progress. The copyright is 1891.

As others have said, it's a well known text and a common book in almost
any edition. There _are_ some valuable Pilgrim's Progress around, but
they're the one-offs in fine bindings.

In the late 19th century this, along with the better-known
Dore-illustrated Dantes and Paradise Lost were published in large
good-quality editions with good illustrations. Their value now is almost
entirely due to the these illustrations, and a little on condition. For
PP, look for illustrations by Fred Barnard. Many of these were also
childrens' editions, frequently given as school prizes. "The Young
Folks' Pilgrim's Progress" is a better example of the breed, Barnard's
illustrations and a text that's abridged for children and only very
lightly Bowdlerised.
Old September 16th 05, 04:23 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Bunyan wrote:

Bunyan wrote:

Thank you for your kind replies. I am obviously a neophyte.

Thank you,again.

But do give us the info on the 1854 volume and stick around. We can
help you learn how to evaluate a book.

Francis A. Miniter
Old September 17th 05, 04:09 AM
Al Smith

I own an 1854 copy, simply marked "Eighth Thousand" and considering
how much earlier Bunyan died, I have never bothered to check for
value.

--
Loudon Briggs Phoenix, Arizona, USA)

Who published the 1854 copy? What condition is it in? Who, if anyone, illustrated it? The "eighth thousand" does not mean anything unless you know the context. It could be the first printing, for all you know, of that particular edition. Certain editions of older books are worth more than others. A favorite example of mine is the 1911 Scribners edition of "Treasure Island" which was illustrated by N. C. Wyeth.
Don't give up. Just learn what matters. Take a look at
www.abbookman.com to learn what you need to know about books - their condition, what marks a first edition, etc.
From used.addall.com, I learn that there were at least three editions of Pilgrim's Progress published in 1854. They are :

1. London: Henry G. Bohn 10th edition small quarto, 17 plates, half brown morocco
2. Hartford, Connecticut: Silas Andrus and Sons, duodecimo, navy boards, gilt page edges, navy boards
3, Auburn Derby and Miller, no description

Francis A. Miniter

Now I'm interested. I must check the value of my 1866 edition,
published by T. Nelson and Sons of London. It has actual
photographs of Bunyan's cottage and Bunyan's tomb. The cottage
appears as a full page photo glued to the frontispiece, and the
tomb is on a round photo glued to the title page.

[goes away and does the ABE books dance]

Herump. Seven hits, all T. Nelson and Sons, all the wrong years,
all later than 1866. This publisher must have made his living
bringing out different editions of "The Pilgrim's Progress."

I wonder if these early photos have any value? No mention of
photos in the later editions. Bunyan's Cottage must have been a
dark little house -- only two small windows visible in the lower
level. The entire right side of the house is windowless.
Old September 20th 05, 04:12 AM
William M. Klimon

On 14 Sep 2005 18:23:34 -0700, "Bunyan" wrote:

The first book I am investigating is an Altemus' Edition of Pilgrim's
Progress. The copyright is 1891.

This copy is likely only of value in the context of a larger collection,
like this one:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~feg3e/bib-talk.html

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Progress on Dollar year set Dale Hallmark Coins 2 November 22nd 04 12:13 AM
GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY Books 0 August 29th 04 06:07 AM
FA: The Pilgrims Progress Book, John Bunyan, c. 1890s fishnet531 General 0 May 21st 04 01:44 AM
Making Progress! Larry Louks Coins 1 November 3rd 03 02:41 AM
Defeating progress. Rodney General Discussion 0 September 11th 03 03:16 PM