I finally got it!

Old January 1st 04, 11:13 PM
marlinspike

Default I finally got it!

I finally got it! I always wanted a Pelikan 800 (well a 600, but my hands
grew) and I finally got it. Brand new for $170 from Bertrams Inkwell (don't
rush to the phone, the sale is over. in fact it was over yesterday but they
know me).I got the blue stripped kind. The only downside to the blue stripe
is it isn't too easy to see through the barrel to check your ink, but I like
this more than the green or red). I rushed home and after cursing myself for
not bringing any bottled ink back from school, I remembered I bought my dad
some Aurora Blue. Grabbed some paper and great googoli moogoli, sweet
butter-like satisfaction is mine! I feel as though my quest is over, though
I know its not. I think the next step is to move away from my cheapies
entirely (except for a few favorites) and then start buying those nice
expensive modern pens (I feel I have all the vintages I want). Those Aurora
Optima's looked nice. Though this pen does kinda seal things for me.
Richard, who loves his new Pelikan

Old January 1st 04, 11:39 PM
so what

I finally got it!

I knew it was contagious.

I always wanted a Pelikan 800 (well a 600, but my hands grew)

Interesting...
Uh, what's in that cafeteria food??

and I finally got it. Brand new for $170 from Bertrams Inkwell (don't rush to

the phone, the sale is over. in fact it was over yesterday but they know me)

Now this is a dude who knows how to shop. You're *almost* ready to get married!

satrap
proud of today's youth

Old January 2nd 04, 01:19 AM
marlinspike

"so what" wrote in message
I always wanted a Pelikan 800 (well a 600, but my hands grew)

Interesting...
Uh, what's in that cafeteria food??

It's strange. Looking at the wall with the penciled tick marks, I appear to
be growing at a steady rate. I grow the same amount every year, never had a
real growth-spurt, just keep growing. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be big
enough to make my size 15 foot (well, 14 for dress shoes, but 15 for
sneakers and boat shoes) seem logical.
Richard

Old January 2nd 04, 10:59 PM
Paul G

The M800 and Optima are both superb pieces...but both with a very different
feel.
I like each for it's own special "attitude."
The detail and finish of an Aurora will knock your socks off. Just thread the
cap on and off an Optima a few times...nothing like it.
The 800 nib is hard to match in it's specific character.
Get you hands on a nice vintage Pelikan 100 or 100N...if you like the size,
you'll love the pen.
Congrats!
Regards and Happy New Year!

Pelikanyo Paul

Old January 3rd 04, 08:33 PM
kcat

On 3 Jan 2004 11:49:36 -0800, (JimL) wrote:

Now that's a good price for an M800. The latest Levenger's catalog
has an M400 for 199 for the fp, and 129 for the bp. But we all know
Levenger doesn't have good sale prices. I wastempted for about 2
seconds, until I got to their price. It's another one of those where
Levenger takes a Pelikan and does them in non-standard colors. This
one they call the "Honey" - white cap and ends, and yellow/gold
stripes on the barrel.

well, Pelikan didn't create the Honey just for Levenger - I understand
that other distributors will be offering it in the not-too-distant
future and at much more 400-like prices. Beautiful as it is - wait
until it is down to a reasonable price through other retailers.
Levenger gets these "exclusives" as they call them that last only a
month or so before the manufacturer makes them more widely available.
I think the Honey would sell well eventually - even though I don't
care for the white bits - it is reminiscent of vintage tortoise Pels.

Has anyone any recent experience on the M400's retail price and a good
regular "on sale" price? If I remember correctly, the 400 has about
the same body size as their 200, but with an upgraded nib -- ?

I can tell you that the best retail price I've seen on any pen is
through Pamela Braun
www.oscarbraunpens.com

The 400 has an upgraded nib (14K) and it's body is celluloid vs. the
less costly plastics of the 200s. Yes, it's the same size and the
innards are the same. I have one 400 and a handful of 200s. I love
them all but admit that I use the 200s most of the time simply because
I like GP nibs over gold in most cases. Though the 400 gold nibs are
not too mushy like some gold nibs are these days.

I've seen decent prices for 400s on e-bay but nothing just incredibly
good. I'd check the web forums as well - sometimes you'll find 400s
for about 100-120 on Pentrace's Market Board or on Pen Lovers.

HTH,
Old January 3rd 04, 09:02 PM
marlinspike

"JimL" wrote in message
Now that's a good price for an M800.

It's the price Bertram's always offers at the end of the year. At the end of
every year Bertram's Inkwell has a huge sale on almost (has very few
exceptions) everything. About 2/3 of stuff is 30% off and 1/3 of stuff is
50% off.
Richard

Old January 22nd 04, 01:02 AM
Angela Moak

marlinspike wrote:

I finally got it! I always wanted a Pelikan 800 (well a 600, but my hands
grew) and I finally got it. Brand new for $170 from Bertrams Inkwell (don't

Congratulations on the top quality pen. My first fountain was an 800.
Spoiled me badly for anything else for a while.

I know its not. I think the next step is to move away from my cheapies
entirely (except for a few favorites) and then start buying those nice
expensive modern pens (I feel I have all the vintages I want). Those Aurora
Optima's looked nice. Though this pen does kinda seal things for me.
Richard, who loves his new Pelikan

Richard, Richard, you can never have enough of those expensive modern
pens. The Aurora Optima is a fine choice. Also don't miss out on the
Delta, Visconti and Elysee. The Elysee is a thinner pen, but the
laquered LEs have a really nice weight.

Congratulations and welcome to the disease

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.

Cataloged my collection, finally Wanda Autographs 1 November 12th 04 02:40 AM
Finally a Real Charlie Sheen autograph! pe2 Autographs 4 July 30th 04 03:42 AM
Finally! Joe Autographs 0 July 8th 04 04:49 PM
Finally Got Me a Jukebox Texas Steven Juke Boxes 6 December 28th 03 05:29 AM
whew.....finally! hydman3 Autographs 0 September 24th 03 02:18 AM