one repulsive store and repugnant practices

Old May 22nd 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
bookcollecting101

Default one repulsive store and repugnant practices

On May 16, 12:35*pm, "Jean B." wrote:
It is a nice day today, so I was meandering around Concord,
Massachusetts, mostly looking for old and antique books and
booklets. *I wandered into a store I hadn't been in before and
almost everything was decorated with snipped up old books and
booklets. *Indeed, the first thing I saw was what at first
appeared to be an old book--but upon further investigation, this
old book had been torn asunder apparently with the thought that
that would be decorative. *It was sickening.

I was in other shops that reminded me of one of my least favorite
things: *plates that have been taken out of books and maps that
have been taken out of atlases, because (I gather) folks can earn
more money selling the pieces that way. *Yuck! *Some of these were
illustrated pages from Little Black Sambo. *I MIGHT have been
tempted, if the practice was not so sickening. *I sure don't want
to encourage anyone by buying any such thing!
--
Jean B.

This thread makes me think of "Book Art" in which artists cut up and
manipulate books in order to create art pieces. I have always found
this to be reprehensible... I have never noticed the books used in
this "art" to be old, damaged or worthless in any way. With the advent
of ebooks and ebook readers, it seems to me that folks should learn to
revere the printed word even more as there is likely to be so much
less of it.

I did read an interesting article from an Australian paper in which a
book dealer says that ebooks should be looked upon as a good thing as
he believes small presses will pick up the slack and produce better,
more collectible books than current mass production allows for. You
can see the post on my site http;//www.bookcollecting101.com
Old May 22nd 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

This thread makes me think of "Book Art" in which artists cut up and
manipulate books in order to create art pieces. I have always found
this to be reprehensible... I have never noticed the books used in
this "art" to be old, damaged or worthless in any way. With the advent
of ebooks and ebook readers, it seems to me that folks should learn to
revere the printed word even more as there is likely to be so much
less of it.

There are books and there are books..
I tryed using them as a heating source but though they burned ok
they were too ashy..also tryed to make book banks but didn't have the
patience to do all that carving.
I love books but there are books and there are books
I give away a pickup load every other month
Old May 23rd 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

R. Totale wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2010 10:04:03 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

J wrote:
On May 17, 8:49 am, "Jean B." wrote:
Sure. I can understand (perhaps) doing things with damaged books
and "paper", but otherwise?

Also, how does one judge the damage?

I suspect, in many cases, the equation is quite simple: will the time
and expense of repairing this damaged book render it more saleable
than its loose pages are?

Somehow I can't envision people who make their livings by selling
prints, maps, etc. making such calculations.

Such decisions usually involve liking to eat on a semi-regular basis.

Well, those folks have chosen to put food on their tables this way.

--
Jean B.
Old May 23rd 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

bookcollecting101 wrote:
On May 16, 12:35 pm, "Jean B." wrote:
[...]

Yes, that first paragraph refers ti what the art shop is doing. I
will look at you site later today.

--
Jean B.