Another good book sale weekend

Old May 2nd 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Another good book sale weekend

None of these are particularly precious books - no first
editions, but I am thrilled, nevertheless.

Robert Graves, The Greek Myths (Penguin [hardcover] 1957],
2nd American printing in two volumes in slipcase. What
truly appeals to me about this (aside from the fact that it
is Graves) is that he meticulously cites the sources for
each myth. (I was a a Greek and Latin student in college -
along with philosophy.)

Duc de Saint-Simon, Historical Memoirs (McGraw-Hill 1971),
1st American printing in two volumes in slipcase, of
translation by Lucy Norton. Saint-Simon is the Pepys of
France, chronicling the reign of Louis XIV from 1691 to
1715. This period included the War of the League of
Augsburg and the War of the Spanish Succession. I have read
that in creating characters and events, Proust pulled
heavily from these memoirs, which have only infrequently
been drawn into English. And never has there been an
unabridged translation. Indeed, at the time of the
publication of this book, there had never been a truly
complete French edition.

Henry Hallam, Constitutional History of England from the
Accession of Henry VII to the Death of George II (Harper,
1897), in two volumes. I am a lawyer, and I first studied
law in Canada, where I came upon numerous references to this
work. It took me all of half a second to grab it once I saw
the words "Hallam" and "Constitutional". Harper first
published this in America in 1846, so this is far from a
first, but I am quite satisfied.

Adm. David D. Porter, Naval History of the Civil War,
(Castle 1984), facsimile edition of the 1886 Sherman
Publishing edition.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen
Old May 3rd 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
[...]

All is good if you are pleased!

I spent much time at the Boston Antiquarian Book Fair, where I
spent altogether too much money (as I tend to do at such things).
I also had a useful conversation with someone re organizing
ephemera.

--
Jean B.
Old May 4th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On May 2, 9:45�pm, "Jean B." wrote:

I spent much time at the Boston Antiquarian Book Fair, where I
spent altogether too much money (as I tend to do at such things).
� I also had a useful conversation with someone re organizing
ephemera.

There used to be a bookfair in Boston that I went to a few times with
friends. This was not antiquarian by any means, but was closer to a
flea market! Books were piled on tables filling a large hall, and you
could (or I could) wander for hours.
Old May 4th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

J wrote:
On May 2, 9:45�pm, "Jean B." wrote:
I spent much time at the Boston Antiquarian Book Fair, where I
spent altogether too much money (as I tend to do at such things).
� I also had a useful conversation with someone re organizing
ephemera.

There used to be a bookfair in Boston that I went to a few times with
friends. This was not antiquarian by any means, but was closer to a
flea market! Books were piled on tables filling a large hall, and you
could (or I could) wander for hours.

Oh my! I wonder what that is/was? Maybe the thing at The Castle?

--
Jean B.
Old May 11th 10, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On May 3, 10:16*pm, "Jean B." wrote:
J wrote:

There used to be a bookfair in Boston that I went to a few times with
friends. This was not antiquarian by any means, but was closer to a
flea market! Books were piled on tables filling a large hall, and you
could (or I could) wander for hours.

Oh my! *I wonder what that is/was? *Maybe the thing at The Castle?

I spoke tonight with one of the friends: he told me it was at
Horticultural Hall, and he thought it was a fundraiser (probably for
MassHort). It's the building at Huntington Avenue and Massachusetts
Avenue, across from Symphony Hall. Since 1992, it has been owned by
the Christian Science Church, according to Wikipedia. (It's a lot
longer ago than that we used to go...)
Old May 16th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

J wrote:
On May 3, 10:16 pm, "Jean B." wrote:
J wrote:

There used to be a bookfair in Boston that I went to a few times with
friends. This was not antiquarian by any means, but was closer to a
flea market! Books were piled on tables filling a large hall, and you
could (or I could) wander for hours.

Oh my! I wonder what that is/was? Maybe the thing at The Castle?

I spoke tonight with one of the friends: he told me it was at
Horticultural Hall, and he thought it was a fundraiser (probably for
MassHort). It's the building at Huntington Avenue and Massachusetts
Avenue, across from Symphony Hall. Since 1992, it has been owned by
the Christian Science Church, according to Wikipedia. (It's a lot
longer ago than that we used to go...)

Thanks for that information, which allows me to place it quite well.

--
Jean B.
Old May 17th 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
None of these are particularly precious books - no first
editions, but I am thrilled, nevertheless. [...]
Henry Hallam, Constitutional History of England from the
Accession of Henry VII to the Death of George II (Harper,
1897), in two volumes. I am a lawyer, and I first studied
law in Canada, where I came upon numerous references to this
work. It took me all of half a second to grab it once I saw
the words "Hallam" and "Constitutional". Harper first
published this in America in 1846, so this is far from a
first, but I am quite satisfied.

It had never occurred to me that was very desirable, I've
handled lots of them (and probably managed to sell a grand
total of one copy in the last five years). How many shelf
feet of them do you want?

I *do not* pretend to understand how the second-hand law book
market works, beyond the basics of "looks good" and "still
useful" (I know enough about Scots law to make a fair guess
at the latter).

Actually, most second-hand law books are not very useful.
There are a few that are worthwhile because of the authors
and the importance of the book. For instance, I have a
leather bound copy of Langdell on Contracts. That was the
first casebook to be used in a law school (Harvard) and it
is valuable as the start of what is now the universal method
of teaching law. Another book I have, Wechsler et al, The
Federal Courts and Federal System, is probably the best work
ever on the subject of federal court jurisdiction, and
because I took the course from him. (big whoop unless you
practice in the federal courts a lot, as I do) Ditto with
Farnsworth on Contracts (he was my thesis advisor). Ditto
with Cary on Corporations (also a professor of mine). These
guys were giants in their fields and they were all at
Columbia Law School at the same time.

Beyond that I tend to look for major works that changed the
perception of law, e.g., Beard, An Economic Interpretation
of the Constitution, led the way for Prosser to interpret
many categories of decisions on the basis of economic values
to be forwarded by the courts.

But the Hallam book is valuable, not so much as it
contributes to an understanding of the law, but as it is a
history of legal actions in England that became permanent
principles of government in England. In his first chapter,
for instance, he details the increasing use of the writ of
attainder by Henry VIII to rid himself of wives (esp.
Catherine Howard) and councillors. Hallam grinds through
Henry's extended abuse of the writ, allowing no defense to
be presented to Parliament, for instance. By the time
Hallam is finished with Henry, you can understand why one of
the most specific provisions of the U. S. Constitution (Art.
1, Sec. 8) is a prohibition on writs of attainder and ex
post facto laws (also used to behead Catherine Howard).

Hallam provides a point of view (legal) that is all too
often missing from historians with no legal training.

Old May 17th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
[...]

That is very interesting, Francis. It points out, too, that those
who have knowledge of a particular subject might just consider
such books to be valuable, while those with no such knowledge
might think they are without merit.

--
Jean B.