What do you do

Old April 1st 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Default What do you do

What do you do when you acquire a book and find it is totally
lacking in publication information? Not as in the page is
missing, but as in it was never there. And there are NO hits on
google. Is there any other secret to identify books that only
have a title? I am speaking of books that probably date back to
the late 1870s-1899 or so. Thanks.
--
Jean B.
Old April 2nd 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Jean B. wrote:
What do you do when you acquire a book and find it is totally lacking in
publication information? Not as in the page is missing, but as in it
was never there. And there are NO hits on google. Is there any other
secret to identify books that only have a title? I am speaking of books
that probably date back to the late 1870s-1899 or so. Thanks.

I use a number of resources in such cases:

1. Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html

2. Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog, which searches the
world's biggest libraries
http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/hylib/en/kvk.html

I trust you have tried http:\\used.addall.com

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen
Old April 7th 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
Jean B. wrote:
What do you do when you acquire a book and find it is totally lacking
in publication information? Not as in the page is missing, but as in
it was never there. And there are NO hits on google. Is there any
other secret to identify books that only have a title? I am speaking
of books that probably date back to the late 1870s-1899 or so. Thanks.

I use a number of resources in such cases:

1. Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html

2. Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog, which searches the world's biggest
libraries
http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/hylib/en/kvk.html

I trust you have tried http:\\used.addall.com

Thanks, Francis. I will try those. Maybe I'll get lucky. I sure
wouldn't have though of addall. (Will I also get into significant
trouble there?)

--
Jean B.