European and Asian Pen Dealers

Old January 30th 05, 05:42 AM
Cliff Reynolds

Default European and Asian Pen Dealers

There have been some pretty decent fountain pen deals on e-bay. Like a
Pelikan M800 for $219.00 (I think that's pretty fair). Or an M200 for
$39.00. Some dealers are from Germany, and some others are from the
Netherlands, and Switzerland. And then there are several asian dealers I've
come across.

My question is, how reliable are pens purchased from these dealers? You can
buy Rolex watches for $150.00, but they won't be made by Rolex. If the
seller has a good rating, I am more inclined to feel comfortable. Still, I
have to wonder if there are fakes, or pens aquired from less than reliable
sources out there. The pens are supposed to be new, in the box, with
papers, and guarantees.

Any words to the wise? Or personal experiences to share? I would
appreciate any information that the group might have.

Thank you,

Cliff

--

__O
_-\,_

Old January 30th 05, 08:17 PM
Michael Hesson

I just purchased a Namiki Vanishing Point on-line from
pencollectorscorner.de via eBay. They are in Germany. I had no problems;
the pen came through as advertised and intact. In fact, I think they
managed to get the pen to me a bit quicker than advertised! My advice is to
read the seller ratings, as you've been doing, and perhaps try to contact
the seller privately beforehand. This might help establish a more personal
buyer/seller relationship.

-Mike

Old January 30th 05, 09:45 PM
Virtual Gordon

It has been said, and said correctly, many times that if a deal too good to
be true it usually isn't. We have all seen the 100% Authentic "MONTBLANC"
pens on eBay for $19.95. I have found no magic formula for purchasing pens
in person, on the Internet or by mail. I try to follow the dictates of
common sense that I would exercise for any purchase:
(1) Become familiar with the attributes and properties of the item of
interest.
(2) Research the record of the seller so far as one is able to do so.
(3) "appetitus rationi pareat". Let one's appetites be governed by reason.
If the pulse quickens, step back and let objective judgment reign.

Article on fake Montblancs from China:
http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/may04/228540.asp

Article on identifying fake Parker Sonnets:
http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Pa...nnetClones.htm

I encourage trade with China as an agent of political and social change
within that country, but the Chinese government's unwillingness or inability
to check the exponential growth in counterfeiting has made anything sold
from within China, and even the Pacific rim suspect.

Gordon

Old January 30th 05, 09:53 PM
svejk

Pam Braun (www.oscarbraunpens.com) has Pelikan 800s on special at $199.
Give her a call and find out about 200s. I have found her a very good
dealer to work with (no connection). On eBay it is best to be sure
that you pay with a credit card for some purchase protection. Sellers'
rating should be 98% or above. (Don't worry if it isn't 100%, there
are a number of nutjob buyers who like to cause trouble.) Don't get
auction fever and forget to check our good web merchants to be sure
that you are not paying too much (voice of experience). Snipe
(www.auctionsniper.com); figure what it is worth to you, snipe it, then
don't look at the auction until it is over. This avoids the anxiety of
last minute bidding that takes you over what you should pay. Remember
the dollar is down and it seems fountain pens are becoming more popular
in Europe and Japan. You can get taken on eBay if you are not careful
but you can also get taken in a fancy pen store.

Old February 26th 05, 10:02 PM
Angela Moak

I have done business with 3 of the German dealers several times and
always with good results. RMartini most recently (within the last three
months) They all have very high eBay scores and now most of them take
PayPal which makes it even easier for me to send them my money.

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.