I'm an old/new collector with a question

Old November 7th 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
[email protected]

Default I'm an old/new collector with a question

Well, I've been away for a while. I'm usually a lurker, who every so
often posts. I've finally allowed myself time to return to the hobby
and now I'm trying to catch up.

Anyway, I was going through some old Sports Illustrated and am thinking
of cutting out some pics to be signed.

Here's my question... Vince Young, does he sign?

Old November 8th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

hooo weeee, good luck getting vince young at all..he was horrible in
college and almost never did it (texas players are horrible in
general)..now that he's out of college he tells people to "go to tri
star.com and buy one"...the one time he did sign, he made us write our
own name on the item and then show him a driver's license showing that
it was for the person he was signing for...there was a kid who didn't
have a license (not old enough) and vince told him "tough s@#$ kid."
so, best of luck...
mike

Old November 8th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3

Kind of a broad generalization about Texas athletes there, huh? Just because you get a couple of bad apples doesn't mean that the orchard is rotten. I have had quite a bit of luck with Texas athletes over the years. Some bad results too, but that can be said about any state with a professional team of any kind. Remember what Sue has said to you about stating something as a fact when it isn't. You could have just as easily said "I haven't had much luck with Texas athletes. Maybe they didn't want to sign that day." It's that simple...

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old November 8th 06, 06:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

maybe because it says RIGHT ON THE TEXAS LONGHORNS WEBSITE that their
athletes do not sign autographs and are instructed not to unless at a
desiganted autographing location (once per sport, per season), and it
has for a few years now...i'd tend to take that AS FACT...how about
when you ask vince young, or michael huff and they both tell you to go
to tristar.com and buy one...how about when you asked roy williams AS A
FRESHMAN and a coach took the pen out of his hand and threw it on the
ground....
sadly, this is the response you get when you only collect in the mail
and really have no basis for your comparison when it comes to
inperson..it's like when i make lebron james the #4 worst signer, it's
because he is a HORRIBLE signer who does not do so in the mail, in
public, at games etc..
i'm not trying to make a problem with you gummby...but at the same
time, you haven't been collecting as long as i have, and really, when i
state something, IT'S FROM HANDS ON, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE... it's not
some haphazzard attempt to pass on third person information or some
wildly out of left field comment about some random player...I WATCHED
IT HAPPEN, I SEE IT ALL THE TIME...
that's the real difference and why i can make the statement that Texas
athletes are THE MOST DIFFICULT IN COLLEGE SPORTS...at the college
world series 2 years ago, NOT ONE PLAYER WAS A WILLING SIGNER, NOT
ONE...i am talking about college baseball...the starters all signed at
a signing for the world series, but they didn't sign at the games or
anything..make the point all you want about professionals, I'M THE ONLY
ONE OUT THERE THAT WORKS THE COLLEGE WORLD SERIES. i watch when players
won't sign little kids little league gloves..
went to a swimming event with michael phelps, and not one of the texas
swimmers would sign...
AND THESE GUYS ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES...THEY ARE STILL IN
COLLEGE. i guess if you're a booster giving the school thousands of
dollars every year,it's ok...but the average person can pretty much
expect to not see texas athletes signing autographs...so no, it's not a
generalization..IT'S A FACT.
Gummby3 wrote:
[...]

------=_NextPart_000_0462_01C702A5.8BB6C960

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.5730.11" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVKind of a broad generalization about Texas athletes there, huh?  Just
because you get a couple of bad apples doesn't mean that the orchard is
rotten.  I have had quite a bit of luck with Texas athletes over the
years.  Some bad results too, but that can be said about any state with a
professional team of any kind.  Remember what Sue has said to you about
stating something as a fact when it isn't.  You could have just as easily
said "I haven't had much luck with Texas athletes.  Maybe they didn't want
to sign that day."  It's that simple.../DIV
DIVBR-- BR/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVMikeBRGummby3BR-= Star Collector =-BRA
href="http://www.star-collector.net"www.star-collector.net/A/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIV /DIV
BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV"barefoot" <A
"barefootmk@co mcast.net/A> wrote in
message A
oglegroups.com"news:1162948994.184248.298770@k70g 2000cwa.googlegroups.com/A.../DIVhooo
weeee, good luck getting vince young at all..he was horrible inBRcollege and
almost never did it (texas players are horrible inBRgeneral)..now that he's
out of college he tells people to "go to triBRstar.com and buy one"...the
one time he did sign, he made us write ourBRown name on the item and then
show him a driver's license showing thatBRit was for the person he was
signing for...there was a kid who didn'tBRhave a license (not old enough)
and vince told him "tough A href="mailto:s@#$"s@#$/A kid."BRso, best of
luck...BRmikeBR/BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_0462_01C702A5.8BB6C960--

Old November 8th 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
barefoot

yeah. i don't know if it's just that though...
when steve spurrier was the coach of the florida gators, it was truly
difficult to get any of those guys too...in fact, i remeber danny
wuerffle (i think that's how you spell it) would tell us, "don't let
coach catch you." kind of thing...and stories abound about how the
school would throw you off of campus for asking for autographs.
Michigan was throwing kids out of school who were profiting off the fab
5 (chris webber, juwaan howard, jalen rose). it's a college thing.
oregon sends the stuff you send to athletes in the mail, back saying
they can not sign autographs due to the proliferation of ebay. but no
one goes as far as the texas longhorns...
and if guys are hard in college, it doesn't really matter why, they are
even more difficult in the pros...and at texas, they got the tri star
people hanging out at practice waiting to sign these guys to exclusive
signing contracts...look at their website and see how many former texas
longhorns are on their roster or have done shows for them...
heck, even a guy like matt leinart almost didn't sign at all his last 2
years of college..he was extremely difficult and i had to get dwayne
jarrett's mom to get him for me. ( and she only got a few)....now that
he's a pro, he's next to impossible...he has a radio show in phoenix
that he signs afterwards (and he actually signs alot)..but he's not
signing on the road, he's not doing promotional appearances, he's not
doing shows. he doesn't sign at the practice facility and turned a
friend down for a photo with after seeing him at starbucks.
just goes to show that athletes are conditioned not to sign in college
and it just grows in the pros.
mike

Old November 11th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Jim

Gummby3 wrote:
Kind of a broad generalization about Texas athletes there, huh? Just because you get a couple of bad apples doesn't mean that the orchard is rotten. I have had quite a bit of luck with Texas athletes over the years. Some bad results too, but that can be said about any state with a professional team of any kind. Remember what Sue has said to you about stating something as a fact when it isn't. You could have just as easily said "I haven't had much luck with Texas athletes. Maybe they didn't want to sign that day." It's that simple...

--

Mike
Gummby3
-= Star Collector =-
www.star-collector.net

I I got Cat Ostermann to sign, It took several months but I got it
back signed.