Sunlight and what to do about it

Old August 1st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
LiRM

Default Sunlight and what to do about it

I recently purchased some nice bookshelves that have glass windows for
doors. I got them primarily so the doors will keep the dust out and
better protect my collectable's.

However, I have a dilemma. In the afternoon, the Sunlight makes it
way through the opposing windows and huge half circle decorative glass
piece about our front door.

Moving the bookshelves isn't an option or obviously I wouldn't be
writing this.

I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent what I know is going to
happen - discolor and fade the dust covers on my collection.

I'm thinking perhaps some kind of tinted laminate on the glass of the
doors, but have no idea how well this will work. And I'd hate to find
out through experimentation that it didn't.

If you've had this problem, how have you dealt with it?

Any suggestions, comments and products would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I'm covering all of my books with the book jacket covers from
Brodarts (which you all recommended - thank you!):

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/p...atnum=10425525

or

http://tinyurl.com/kt7e7

As nice as they are, I don't think they are going to do the trick.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,

LiRM
Old August 1st 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

LiRM wrote:

[...]

Possibilities:

1. Move the bookcases out of the direct sunlight.

2. Line the glass with a material designed to filter out some range
of the wavelengths transmitted by the sun. Auto tints, for instance.
Of course, unless it is opaque, which defeats the purpose of the glass,
some sunlight (e.g., some wave lengths) will always get through and will
eventually fade the book/dust jacket spines. It is unavoidable.

Francis A. Miniter
Old August 2nd 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

"LiRM" wrote in message
I recently purchased some nice bookshelves that have glass windows for
doors. I got them primarily so the doors will keep the dust out and
better protect my collectable's.

However, I have a dilemma. In the afternoon, the Sunlight makes it
way through the opposing windows and huge half circle decorative glass
piece about our front door. . . .
I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent what I know is going to
happen - discolor and fade the dust covers on my collection.

I'm thinking perhaps some kind of tinted laminate on the glass of the
doors, but have no idea how well this will work. And I'd hate to find
out through experimentation that it didn't.

The textile laboratory of the US National Bureau
of Standards ought to be able to tell you what
frequencies of daylight cause book jackets to fade
and its glass laboratory may be able to tell you
what varieties of glass will not transmit these
frequencies.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 2nd 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
kal53

Don Phillipson wrote:
"LiRM" wrote in message
I recently purchased some nice bookshelves that have glass windows for
doors. I got them primarily so the doors will keep the dust out and
better protect my collectable's.

However, I have a dilemma. In the afternoon, the Sunlight makes it
way through the opposing windows and huge half circle decorative glass
piece about our front door. . . .
I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent what I know is going to
happen - discolor and fade the dust covers on my collection.

I'm thinking perhaps some kind of tinted laminate on the glass of the
doors, but have no idea how well this will work. And I'd hate to find
out through experimentation that it didn't.

The textile laboratory of the US National Bureau
of Standards ought to be able to tell you what
frequencies of daylight cause book jackets to fade

Here in Boulder there is a business called Spot Shots. They came to my
house and put a film on the most prominent window in my living room.
It filters like 97% of the offending rays and you can hardly tell the
window has treatment. Of course, if the sunlight is DIRECTLY landing
on the books through the day you might have to go to a more serious
treatment which does shade the window more but I believe does
effectively eliminate the damage caused by the sunlight.

Old August 2nd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
DfKNG

Any suggestions, comments and products would be greatly appreciated.

There is a product called curtains. They make them for windows and they
should keep the sun out.

Old August 2nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
LiRM

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:20:51 -0700, "DfKNG" wrote:

Any suggestions, comments and products would be greatly appreciated.

There is a product called curtains. They make them for windows and they
should keep the sun out.

I had to laugh in simply the way you expressed that, as I've done the
same

They would be, of course, an obvious solution. I should have stated
that the largest area that the sun makes it's way in is via the huge
half circle above our double wide french front doors. After talking
it over with my wife last night, she isn't too keen on either tinting
it or covering it. I more or less agree with her on it, as it does
bring in some nice afternoon sun.

So that changes my goal.

I guess I'm going to have to find a tint laminate that I can apply to
the bookshelf doors myself, unless I can find a place that does it
relatively inexpensively.

Moving the bookshelves isn't an option, for various reasons.

So if anyone has used a product like this with success, a name brand
and source would be helpful.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards,

LiRM
Old August 2nd 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Denton Taylor

I do believe 3M was the first to market with this stuff. See
http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/...ige/index.html
for the latest.

3M has great tech support; I would email them and ask what the best
product would be for your application.

Denton

Old August 2nd 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

I guess I'm going to have to find a tint laminate that I can apply to
the bookshelf doors myself, unless I can find a place that does it
relatively inexpensively.

An old solution for shop windows was a roller blind of clear yellow
plastic - whatever the plastic was, it was something that has been
available for a very long time, as I remember this from the 1950s.
You don't see it very often these days.

Old August 3rd 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
LiRM

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:28:16 -0400, Denton Taylor
wrote:

I do believe 3M was the first to market with this stuff. See
http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/...ige/index.html
for the latest.

3M has great tech support; I would email them and ask what the best
product would be for your application.

Denton

Bingo. This looks exactly like what I need. From the site, it states
that it will reflect over 99 percent of the UV rays, which are
responsible for fading.

Thank you for this - it's much appreciated, Denton.

Regards,

LiRM

Old August 3rd 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
BobFinnan.com

LiRM wrote:
If you've had this problem, how have you dealt with it?

Any suggestions, comments and products would be greatly appreciated.

I constructed a huge disk which blocks out the sun over my house (and
the rest of the neighborhood).
Works great but is everyone is getting rickets.