Quotations dealing with books

Old July 25th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Monboddo

Default Quotations dealing with books

Has anyone got a favorite quotation that deals with book collecting?

Francis Bacon: " Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and
some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only
in parts; others to be read but not seriously; and some few to be read
wholly and with diligence and attention.

Ed Schaeffer

--
Visit: www.JamesBoswell.com

Old July 25th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

Has anyone got a favorite quotation that deals with book collecting?
Francis Bacon: " Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and
some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only
in parts; others to be read but not seriously; and some few to be read
wholly and with diligence and attention.

Ecclesiastes: "of the making of many books there is no end, and much
study is a weariness of the flesh".

Old July 25th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Gary Thompson

Monboddo wrote:
Has anyone got a favorite quotation that deals with book collecting?

Francis Bacon: " Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and
some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only
in parts; others to be read but not seriously; and some few to be read
wholly and with diligence and attention.

Ed Schaeffer

Erasmus: The first thing I shall do, as soon as the money arrives, is
to buy some Greek authors; after that, I shall buy clothes.

Old July 26th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Dave

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:53:19 -0400, "Monboddo"
wrote:

Has anyone got a favorite quotation that deals with book collecting?

Francis Bacon: " Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and
some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only
in parts; others to be read but not seriously; and some few to be read
wholly and with diligence and attention.

Ed Schaeffer

"When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts, nothing helps me so much as
running to my books. They quickly absorb me and banish the clouds
from my mind. And they don't rebel because I use them only for lack
of pastimes more natural and alive. They always receive me with the
same welcome."
Montaigne

Dave
Old July 26th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Joe Todd

"I can't remember any specific books."

George W. Bush's response when, during a campaign photo opportunity at a
South Carolina elementary school, a student asked him what his favorite book
was as a child!

Old July 26th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Walter Traprock

"Joe Todd" wrote:

"I can't remember any specific books."

George W. Bush's response when, during a campaign photo opportunity at a
South Carolina elementary school, a student asked him what his favorite book
was as a child!

Heh. The prez hadn't been cleared in advance on the acceptable response
to the inquest.
Old July 27th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Chris Mettler

"I just finished my first book. Now I'm going to read another one."

Rodney Dangerfield

Old July 27th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Evelyn C. Leeper

Monboddo wrote:
Has anyone got a favorite quotation that deals with book collecting?

Francis Bacon: " Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and
some few to be chewed and digested; that is, some books are to be read only
in parts; others to be read but not seriously; and some few to be read
wholly and with diligence and attention.

A good (and cheap) collection can be found in BOOKS AND READING: A BOOK
OF QUOTATIONS edited by Bill Bradfield (a Dover Thrift Book).

Some of my favorites:

"My mother and father were illiterate immigrants from Russia.
When I was a child they were constantly amazed that I could go to
a building and take a book on any subject. They couldn't believe
this access to knowledge we have here in America. They couldn't
believe that it was free." --Kirk Douglas

"Once as a boy of twelve I was emboldened to search for some books
in Leipzig's Musical Library. To be admitted to its august
precincts as a regular user, one needed pledges from three
citizens of high standing. After securing these I presented my
"want list" to the librarian. Like a dragon protecting his holy
grail he viewed me critically, then blurted out with all the
friendliness of a drill sergeant: 'Come back in three days and we
will show you what we have found.' No wonder that, by contrast, I
was startled upon my arrival in America to find its libraries
groaning with books liberally available to all citizens, with no
questions asked." --Otto L. Bettman

"It was from my own early experience that I decided there was no
use to which money could be applied so productive of good to boys
and girls who have good within them and ambition and ability to
develop it as the founding of a public library." --Andrew
Carnegie

"Books are where things are explained to you. Life is where
things are not." --Julian Barnes

"SARTOR RESARTUS is simply unreadable, and for me that always sort
of spoils a book." --Will Cuppy

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
A great many people think they are thinking when they
Old July 27th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
fungod

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote in message
Monboddo wrote:
[...]

The OP asked for quotations dealing with book _collecting_. As opposed to
books. I mean, why not "book em Dano" or "a bookie is a pick pocket who uses
your own hands."

Old July 27th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jon Meyers

fungod wrote:
"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote...
Monboddo wrote:
Has anyone got a favorite quotation that deals with book collecting?

Some of my favorites:

The OP asked for quotations dealing with book _collecting_. As opposed to
books.

That was what he wrote but not necessarily what he meant, judging by the
quotation he chose--which was about reading, not collecting.

Here's one I briefly used in my sig a few years back:

The books we think we ought to read are poky,
dull, and dry;
The books that we would like to read we are
ashamed to buy;
The books that people talk about we never can
recall;
And the books that people give us, oh, they’re the
worst of all.
--Carolyn Wells

--Jon Meyers