A question about postal stamps

Old June 5th 05, 07:20 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 09:38:31 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

Roger Smith" wrote in message

It was just that your suggestion that the US authorities needed to
"copyright" the image of their flag to protect it led to my thought about
the length to which they seek to protect this representation of their
nationhood.

Regards, Roger

An interesting association of thoughts indeed.

I suppose that the Union Jack image is copyrighted and/or that the usage of
it is somehow restricted too. I wonder if the Union Flag (apparently the
correct term) also leads your thought to burning or it is only the US flag
that triggers this kind of thought?

Everyone just loves to burn our (The U.S.) flag. It's a fad. It's
the "thing" to do. It's chic, on time and in tune. It's also a
boring old cliche...

There always needs to be a bad guy so others can make / lay claim to
being the good guys. The U.S. just happens to be the flavor of the
day - week - decade. Next week, who knows - it might even be
Luxembourg!

It cuts all ways - eventually, someone else's flag will become the bad
guy.

I hope it's soon... because the more the other guys burn our flag,
the more flag stamps we seem to print! :^)

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 5th 05, 08:23 PM
Victor Manta

wrote:

Roger Smith" wrote in message

It was just that your suggestion that the US authorities needed to
"copyright" the image of their flag to protect it led to my thought
about
the length to which they seek to protect this representation of their
nationhood.

Regards, Roger

An interesting association of thoughts indeed.

I suppose that the Union Jack image is copyrighted and/or that the usage
of
it is somehow restricted too. I wonder if the Union Flag (apparently the
correct term) also leads your thought to burning or it is only the US flag
that triggers this kind of thought? (V.M.)

Everyone just loves to burn our (The U.S.) flag. It's a fad. It's
the "thing" to do. It's chic, on time and in tune. It's also a
boring old cliche...
snip
Tracy Barber

Another usual favorite in the medias is the flag of Israel...

It's a shame, Tracy, so I'm with you, and I hope that such tendencies won't
spread on this peaceful and really friendly NG.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old June 5th 05, 11:02 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:23:47 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yup. Whether or not anyone cares about the Jews or the Jewish state,
they've had too darn much abuse as it is.

It's a shame, Tracy, so I'm with you, and I hope that such tendencies won't
spread on this peaceful and really friendly NG.

Gone are the days of "fighting fair" in the world. That was given up
on almost 100 years ago. No more so-called "gentleman's rules" to
follow.

The same applies to collecting stamps and the issuance of 3 trillion
new issues per year. Doesn't seem fair, to the common collector.
Gone for sure are the days of complete or near complete collections.
(A myth anyway.) The only place I have all issues is Kionga and they
are no doubt CTO. That said, that is the normal state of those
stamps. Only a very few real covers exist. Some are questionable.

All we can do is carry on...

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 6th 05, 02:48 AM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:22:31 +0100, Tony Clayton
wrote:

In a recent message wrote:

[snip]

Everyone just loves to burn our (The U.S.) flag. It's a fad. It's
the "thing" to do. It's chic, on time and in tune. It's also a
boring old cliche...

There always needs to be a bad guy so others can make / lay claim to
being the good guys. The U.S. just happens to be the flavor of the
day - week - decade. Next week, who knows - it might even be
Luxembourg!

Is not one factor in the delight some have in burning the US flag
because in the US the flag is a particularly important cultural symbol.
Almost every office seems to have a US f;ag in the corner, and I am
told that in schools there is a regular ceremony involving the flag.
Thus those who feel anti-US use this to aggravate the US.

We used to "pledge allegiance" to the flag, which was / is
representative of our government.

To the aggravators - it's just becoming quite boring.

We are proud of our Union flag, but the closest anyone gets to
being heated up about it is when someone flies it upside down,
which is all too easy if you do not know how to tell!
I spotted this on the fortress of Sedan in Northern France,
and got a Gallic shrug of the shoulders when I commented on
it to our guide!

hehehehehe...

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 6th 05, 06:23 AM
TC

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:49:39 GMT, jstlucas at hotmail dot com
@delete.thisstuff (Joe St. Lucas) wrote:

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

And I was wondering, why is it that an American flag, flown on the fourth of
July, a crayon colored flag drawn by my child in grade school, or basically
any first order approximation of an American flag, must be disposed of in
particular approved ways, but (I'm guessing here, not watching everyone) the
flag stamp that everyone agrees is the American flag, gets thrown in the
trash, dropped on the floor, torn apart, etc., and the flag police don't throw
everyone in jail or fine them?

I believe that burning is the official military method for disposal of
flags no longer needed.

Blair

Old June 6th 05, 02:17 PM

To clarify your clarification, it's wrong. Although you MAY register a
copyright in the United States, it is not necessary in order to have an
enforceable copyright in the United States. There is NO requirement to
register a copyright. See here for more information:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa....html#register

HTH

--
Allen Bohart
APS, PSS, VSC, BNAPS, USSS(pending)
Old June 6th 05, 08:15 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message
To clarify your clarification, it's wrong. Although you MAY register a
copyright in the United States, it is not necessary in order to have an
enforceable copyright in the United States. There is NO requirement to
register a copyright. See here for more information:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/fa....html#register

HTH

--
Allen Bohart
APS, PSS, VSC, BNAPS, USSS(pending)
http://www.philatelictidbits.com

Allen

Inevitably in an OT message I could not go into the details that the subject
would have warranted elsewhere, but the US is pretty unique in having the
following requirement:

"You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for
infringement of a U.S. work."

That is a quote from the extracts that you provided. Contrary to your
statement, registration is therefore necessary for the copyright to be
enforceable, but I think we are splitting hairs here and we agree on what
the law requires:-)

Best regards, Roger

Old June 7th 05, 05:13 AM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:15:24 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

This is EXACTLY why I have copy written a computer / synthesizer
program when I did. Only cost me $20 and it was / is still unique, as
I understand it.

After a period of time, though, I realized I couldn't keep up with the
BIG BOYS writing this type of software and have given up even the
source code for it - which was submitted to the Copyright Office
originally.

It was a good experiment!

Tracy Barber
adirondack-pc