A question about postal stamps

Old June 4th 05, 10:36 AM
amesh

"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

"Ben Carpenter" wrote in message

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

I do not think that people in most countries in the world would go out of
their way to buy a stamp with an American flag on it.

Roger, as I understand it, most people do NOT go out of their way to buy a
stamp with an American flag on it -- they can get it at most supermarkets
;-)

Other than that I do agree with Ben Carpenter that the "Cloudscapes", "The
Arctic Tundra", "Art of the American Indian", and "The Masterworks of Modern
American Architecture" are quite attractive.

Regards
Mette

Old June 4th 05, 11:32 AM
Roger Smith

"amesh" wrote in message
k...
"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

"Ben Carpenter" wrote in message

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

I do not think that people in most countries in the world would go out of
their way to buy a stamp with an American flag on it.

Roger, as I understand it, most people do NOT go out of their way to buy a
stamp with an American flag on it -- they can get it at most supermarkets
;-)

Mette

I have never seen these stamps at any of my local supermarkets. All of ours
have a picture of the Queen on them.
:-)
Roger

Old June 4th 05, 12:57 PM
TC

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:32:38 GMT, "Roger Smith"
wrote:

"amesh" wrote in message
. dk...
"Roger Smith" skrev i en meddelelse

"Ben Carpenter" wrote in message

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

I do not think that people in most countries in the world would go out of
their way to buy a stamp with an American flag on it.

Roger, as I understand it, most people do NOT go out of their way to buy a
stamp with an American flag on it -- they can get it at most supermarkets
;-)

Mette

I have never seen these stamps at any of my local supermarkets. All of ours
have a picture of the Queen on them.
:-)
Roger

Roger:

So do Mette's . 38^O

Blair

Old June 4th 05, 03:05 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message Shawn Hearn wrote:

In article ,
Ben Carpenter wrote:

Whatever type of first class stamp that gets dispensed from the stamp
machine is fine with me. Makes no difference. As it is, I am using fewer
stamps because I am paying most of my bills electronically. I really
don't care what the appearance of postage stamps is because they all
serve the same purpose for me, to allow me to send something through the
mail. A first class stamp with a flower, a photo of Elvis, or whatever,
does exactly the same thing for me.

It may for you, but not necessarily the recipient.

I always use commemoratives if at all posiible.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old June 4th 05, 03:36 PM
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

"Ben Carpenter" wrote in message

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

depends upon where i am when i happen to buy stamps, but usually at the p.o.
i usually get a love stamp since most of my outgoing mail is bills and i
want to lull my utility companies into thinking i love them ;-)

Old June 4th 05, 05:28 PM
Victor Manta

Roger Smith" wrote in message

I do not think that people in most countries in the world would go out of
their way to buy a stamp with an American flag on it.

Regards, Roger

Of course not, because in all countries minus one they won't find such
stamps for franking.

I suppose that USPS (or the US government itself) could even have a
copyright for their flag on stamps.
--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old June 4th 05, 05:31 PM
Roger Smith

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
Roger Smith" wrote in message

I do not think that people in most countries in the world would go out of
their way to buy a stamp with an American flag on it.

Regards, Roger

Of course not, because in all countries minus one they won't find such
stamps for franking.

I suppose that USPS (or the US government itself) could even have a
copyright for their flag on stamps.
--
Victor Manta

Victor

I believe that it is even a criminal offence to burn a US flag. Even in
Iraq.

Regards, Roger

Old June 4th 05, 07:14 PM
Adam H. Kerman

At 9:03pm -0700, 06/03/05, Ryan wrote:

No offense, but I find the different designs of stamps to be a PROBLEM
with the Postal Service. The costs of creating and printing so many
version of stamps are enormous to an organization whos expenses are
already out of control.

Can you imagine how much they could cut from costs and the price of
first class postage if they printed ONE type of flag stamp and no other
designs??

You are CLAIMING to have reviewed post office records?

Given the quantity of engraving purchased, I'm guessing that the post
office gets a volume discount from Treasury. After all, Treasury has only
one other customer: The Federal Reserve System.

For your next suggestion, Gee, wouldn't retail transactions and banking be
CHEAPER if all users of currency agreed to use only denomination?

Have you heard of philately? Were you aware that tens of millions of
stamps, face value, are purchased annually not intended to be used for
First-Class Mail? Gosh, there's no way to make money on that.

Excellent troll, Google dude.
Old June 4th 05, 07:31 PM
Dag T. Hoelseth

"Ben Carpenter" skrev i melding
Over the years I always just bought "any" stamp available
for my letters and bills that I mailed, but in the past
two years, as I personally visited the post office more
often, I became interested in buy different types of stamps.
They are mostly all interesting .... they sure beat the standard
flag stamp and that older flower stamp!

[...]

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

Nice topic, even if your message seems to have been meant for US American
readers only. Please remember that citizens of other nations follow the news
group as well... :-)

Most of the time I don't care about which stamp I buy when I go to the post
office to get letters etc. posted. But some times know that the recipient
will appreciate a certain kind of stamp and I try to have that in mind. For
instance, the other day I posted some stuff to a royal genealogist in the
US, so I asked specifically for the recently-issued Prince Carl stamp.

Also, what is/was you most favorite stamp?

I think the stamp commemorating Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norwauy's
baptism last year was fantastic.

--
Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/

Old June 4th 05, 09:31 PM
Victor Manta

"Roger Smith" wrote in message

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
Roger Smith" wrote in message

I do not think that people in most countries in the world would go out
of their way to buy a stamp with an American flag on it.

Regards, Roger

Of course not, because in all countries minus one they won't find such
stamps for franking.

I suppose that USPS (or the US government itself) could even have a
copyright for their flag on stamps.
--
Victor Manta

Victor

I believe that it is even a criminal offence to burn a US flag. Even in
Iraq.

Regards, Roger

For sure it is, Roger, but I just wonder which is the relationship with my
or with your earlier posting? Does by chance buying stamps, with or without
flags on them, mean burning anything?