A collection of two books

Old July 24th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jon Meyers

Default A collection of two books

garyjbp wrote:
Jon Meyers wrote:
"An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels," by Dr. Robert T. Rhode.

Great article Jon. What caused you to get interested in that?

That was one of the sites that came up when I was Googling for
information about the author of _The Thresher_, Herbert Krause, a minor,
but still notable, Midwest author.

the other was "The Day of the Bonanza". The second is non-fiction,
describing the settling of western Minnesota and eastern North Dakota,
including descriptions of early steam threshers. However, my Dad
probably was not motivated by sentimentality for steam threshers, but
because both books came from the area where he grew up. His father
paid for his passage to America by working for a few years in North
Dakota, and The Day of the Bonanza has a picture of the crew on a farm
there in which I believe my grandfather figures.

Those are great books to find. My father-in-law is a University of
Kentucky grad, from a family full of them, and a couple years ago I came
across the book _Before Big Blue: Sports at the University of Kentucky,
1880-1940_ by Gregory Kent Stanley. On the dustjacket, and again
inside, there is a photo of one of UK's very earliest basketball teams,
which included my father-in-law's father. The book made an ideal
Christmas present.

--Jon Meyers
Old July 24th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Barbara Bailey

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:02:25 -0500, Jon Meyers

Jon Meyers wrote:
Some time back, someone wondered whether or not a "collection", properly
speaking, could consist of as few as two books. To demonstrate that it
can, and that there is no niche so narrow that someone hasn't squeezed
into it, I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels,"...

Cool review. I have to admit that for myself there probably couldn't be
a two item collection, because I am too compulsively completist. If I
tried to collect those two books, I'd wind up getting all the novels
with Any mention of threshing, however brief, or I'd branch out into
other kinds of agricultural implements or something....

I had a similar thought, and, as a wide reader of fiction about the
Midwest and Plains states, I can tell you you'd have little trouble
filling out such a collection. _South of the Big Four_ , by Don Kurtz,
and some of Willa Cather's books come immediately to mind. Give me some
time to search my memory (and some bibliographies), and I could gather
enough titles to fill a shelf or two of farm-machine fiction.

--Jon Meyers

Laura Ignalls Wilder has a delightful chapter on the day that the
threshers came to Pa's farm in one of the Little House books. I
-think- it's Little Town on the Prairie.

Barb

Old July 24th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob

There are a couple of juvenile series that had very short runs although
the practice of issuing "breeder" sets of 3 books limits the amount of
2 volumes sets.
One recent one comes to mind though: The Hardy Boys - Tom Swift Ultra
Thriller series of the 1990s which has only 2 titles.
--
RWF

Old July 28th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:44:49 -0500, Jon Meyers
wrote:

I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels,"

Hmmm.... _American_ threshing novels is it?

Shame, because if we permitted English ones, or even Gloucestershire
ones, I'd have several more than that already.

You can't move in rural England for bucolic memoirs of early childhoods,
usually with threshing, steam engines and haycarts. Think Cider with
Rosie.
Old July 29th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Some Guy

wrote:

I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels,"

Hmmm.... _American_ threshing novels is it?

Shame, because if we permitted English ones, or even Gloucestershire
ones, I'd have several more than that already.

You can't move in rural England for bucolic memoirs of early childhoods,
usually with threshing, steam engines and haycarts. Think Cider with
Rosie.

Or Flora Thompson's "Lark Rise."