British Pound Notes

Old November 21st 03, 01:02 AM
Arwel Parry

Default British Pound Notes

In message , Cliff
writes
I picked up a world paper money collection and it has several one
pound British notes. I don't see a date on them but the reverse has
Issac Newton on it. My question is if these are still valid case
money that can be spent in England. My daughter is going there next
summer for school and while I have a pocket full of 1 and 2 pound
coins I'd like to give her these to spend if they are spendable.

They were withdrawn from circulation in 1988. You can still exchange
them for current money by taking them (or sending them at your own risk)
to the Bank of England (see http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/ for
details).

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old November 21st 03, 01:47 AM
Padraic Brown

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:12:20 -0500, Cliff
wrote:

I picked up a world paper money collection and it has several one
pound British notes. I don't see a date on them but the reverse has
Issac Newton on it. My question is if these are still valid case
money that can be spent in England. My daughter is going there next
summer for school and while I have a pocket full of 1 and 2 pound
coins I'd like to give her these to spend if they are spendable.

As I understand it, these can be exchanged for pound coins at a bank
but can not generally be spent in shops. To my knowledge, all BoE
notes and all English coins are still valid in that they can exchanged
for new money. So haul out those Alfred silver pennies you've got
socked away and make her trip worthwhile!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old November 21st 03, 02:22 AM
Darren

wrote:

I picked up a world paper money collection and it has several one
pound British notes. I don't see a date on them but the reverse has
Issac Newton on it. My question is if these are still valid case
money that can be spent in England. My daughter is going there next
summer for school and while I have a pocket full of 1 and 2 pound
coins I'd like to give her these to spend if they are spendable.

The Newton note that you mention was withdrawn in 1984 so you can't
actually spend it now. They could be redeemed at the Bank of England
but I don't think your daughter would appreciate it. You can still
spend some of the Royal Bank of Scotland pound notes but these seem to
be more of a novelty these days. So it's coins...

FA: 2-Days, British Military Firearms, 1650-1850 in DJ, H. Blackmore, c. 61 fishnet531 General 0 May 28th 04 10:39 PM
red seal Cathy1999 Paper Money 7 October 8th 03 12:53 AM
rookie question on $2 bill John III Paper Money 18 September 29th 03 04:27 PM
Misprint - 1 pound British bank note Brent Paper Money 0 September 29th 03 11:58 AM
Colonial One Pound Note Darren Paper Money 4 August 7th 03 06:04 PM