seeking book-repair advice

Old February 1st 05, 05:38 PM
Mark Sornson

Default seeking book-repair advice

I recently bought a book from 1856 that
is in pretty good shape for its age, especially
the interior, but the spine needs help.

More specifically, the outer-most layer of
the cover at the hinges is almost gone, which
means there is very little holding the facing
material to the spine. After opening the book
a few times, as expected, the spine facing
material tore -- not all the way off, but it
is now loose, held only along the back edge.

I bought the book to read (it's a book on
early 'church history') rather than to have
as a collector's piece, so I'm not worried
about preserving its collectors' value.

The options seem to be:

- put a cover on it
- tape it
- glue it

Putting a cover on it won't really secure
what is already loose, so, tape or glue seem
to be the choice.

Can anyone recommend a glue (if there are
special glues for books) or a brand of tape
(are there brands of tape for book repair)?

Thanks in advance.
-mark.

p.s. There's no need to suggest that I
wash all the pages with bleach. I already
did that. They sure are nice and white.
(just kidding)
Old February 1st 05, 06:10 PM
Mark Sornson

John A. Stovall wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:38:46 GMT, Mark Sornson
wrote:

[snips on my request]

Check he

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~preserve/r...epairindex.htm

supplies:

http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/index.html

Many thanks.

-mark.
Old February 2nd 05, 12:32 AM
Al Smith

I recently bought a book from 1856 that
is in pretty good shape for its age, especially
the interior, but the spine needs help.

More specifically, the outer-most layer of
the cover at the hinges is almost gone, which
means there is very little holding the facing
material to the spine. After opening the book
a few times, as expected, the spine facing
material tore -- not all the way off, but it
is now loose, held only along the back edge.

I bought the book to read (it's a book on
early 'church history') rather than to have
as a collector's piece, so I'm not worried
about preserving its collectors' value.

The options seem to be:

- put a cover on it
- tape it
- glue it

You don't say if the cover is leather or cloth. I'll assume cloth.
What I usually do is apply a thin bead of glue along both torn
edges and use sticky tape to hold them accurately together until
they are dry, then remove the tape. This works well for a book
that isn't going to see hard use. When the glue starts to give, as
it will if you use the book, it can always be re-glued.

If you plan to use the book a lot, consider cutting a thin strip
of cloth the length of the book, gluing it behind one side of the
torn hinge, then when it is dry, carefully glue the other side to
the strip and match the edges of the tear. You can mend almost
invisibly this way, and the result is quite strong. But you need
enough material on both sides of the hinge to work with.
Old February 2nd 05, 02:22 PM
Petronius

"Mark Sornson" wrote
Can anyone recommend a glue (if there are
special glues for books) or a brand of tape
(are there brands of tape for book repair)?

After soaking the book in bleach for 2 weeks, apply duct tape (color of your
choice) to the worn area.
Then bake in oven for 24 hours at 500 degrees, basting regularly with
leftover bleach solution.

Old February 2nd 05, 04:25 PM
Mark Sornson

Petronius wrote:

"Mark Sornson" wrote

Can anyone recommend a glue (if there are
special glues for books) or a brand of tape
(are there brands of tape for book repair)?

After soaking the book in bleach for 2 weeks, apply duct tape (color of your
choice) to the worn area.
Then bake in oven for 24 hours at 500 degrees, basting regularly with
leftover bleach solution.

.... and then advertise it for resale in
rec.collecting.books, for a handsome profit,
no doubt.

-m.

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 09:18 PM
Pricey Collectable Paperback Repair Advice someguy Books 0 August 10th 03 08:26 AM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM