fake ebay seller email

Old May 21st 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default fake ebay seller email

Well that is the first time I have got a fake ebay seller email.
It wanted me to log in with its link to take care of some ebay fees I owe.
It said my cc had failed.
When I click on the link it goes to who knows where according to the
address.

I went to eBay and I don't owe anything :-) unlike the email claimed.
I was sure I didn't but it was a very nicely crafted deception.

Dale

Old May 21st 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In , on 05/21/2006
at 03:27 PM, "Dale Hallmark" said:

When I click on the link it goes to who knows where according to the
address.

I went to eBay and I don't owe anything :-) unlike the email claimed. I
was sure I didn't but it was a very nicely crafted deception.

I've forwarded 3 emails during the last week; 1 "eBay" email claiming I sent
the wrong item when I didn't sell ANYTHING, and 2 different paypal emails,
one claiming "payment received" and the other that I was late. All with
bogus links. I forwarded each to the prospective "spoof@" address and got
the expected auto-responder.

The emails seemed a bit more clever than those in the past. It's getting a
little scary!

Nick
Old May 21st 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on 05/21/2006
at 03:27 PM, "Dale Hallmark" said:

When I click on the link it goes to who knows where according to the
address.

I went to eBay and I don't owe anything :-) unlike the email claimed. I
was sure I didn't but it was a very nicely crafted deception.

I've forwarded 3 emails during the last week; 1 "eBay" email claiming I

sent
the wrong item when I didn't sell ANYTHING, and 2 different paypal emails,
one claiming "payment received" and the other that I was late. All with
bogus links. I forwarded each to the prospective "spoof@" address and got
the expected auto-responder.

The emails seemed a bit more clever than those in the past. It's getting

little scary!

Nick

Yep they are getting very good at making them.
This one was good but it was obviously fake from the start as this is not
the time of the
month that my eBay seller fees are paid. I suspose they will get even that
corrected eventually.

Dale

Old May 21st 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

If you put your mouse curser on the link in these bogus E-mails and see
where the link goes at the bottom left of your screen, you will notice that
they DON'T go to Ebay.
They are getting much more creative in their bogus E-mails....

Old May 22nd 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 21 May 2006 18:40:14 -0400, Harvey Bastacky wrote:
If you put your mouse curser on the link in these bogus E-mails and see
where the link goes at the bottom left of your screen, you will notice that
they DON'T go to Ebay.
They are getting much more creative in their bogus E-mails....

They can fake it so that your method, Harvey, won't be able to tell.
Please, please please please please, go and at least visit
toolbar.netcraft.com and read up on what it can do for you - for free,
from a highly reputable organization in the field of IT security.

Old May 22nd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:
If you put your mouse curser on the link in these bogus E-mails and see
where the link goes at the bottom left of your screen, you will notice
that
they DON'T go to Ebay.
They are getting much more creative in their bogus E-mails....

They can fake it so that your method, Harvey, won't be able to tell.
Please, please please please please, go and at least visit
toolbar.netcraft.com and read up on what it can do for you - for free,
from a highly reputable organization in the field of IT security.

I will second that motion, amended as follows: do not respond to any email
from eBay or PayPal that appears anywhere except in your "My Messages"
folder on eBay itself. Likewise, do not respond to any email from any bank
or credit card company, even if you have an account there. Communicate with
your bank only by entering its URL in your browser. Any deviation from this
plan can bring a world of hurt.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 22nd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave,

I guess the best way to tell if the E-mail is truly from Ebay is to see if
the message shows up in "My Ebay" "My Messages". If not, it is bogus.

Old May 22nd 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:40:01 -0400, Harvey Bastacky wrote:
Dave,

I guess the best way to tell if the E-mail is truly from Ebay is to see if
the message shows up in "My Ebay" "My Messages". If not, it is bogus.

True, but the bigger picture is that the netcraft toolbar will warn you
if _any_ site you navigate to is known to be fraudulent, regardless of
how you get there. It's another layer of protection.

Old May 22nd 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:
Dave,

I guess the best way to tell if the E-mail is truly from Ebay is to see
if
the message shows up in "My Ebay" "My Messages". If not, it is bogus.

True, but the bigger picture is that the netcraft toolbar will warn you
if _any_ site you navigate to is known to be fraudulent, regardless of
how you get there. It's another layer of protection.

But then, there will be those that are not yet known to be fraudulent. Then
you have to revert to and rely upon innate skepticism, which you should know
how to do and have been doing all along..

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 22nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:20:16 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

True, but the bigger picture is that the netcraft toolbar will warn you
if _any_ site you navigate to is known to be fraudulent, regardless of
how you get there. It's another layer of protection.

But then, there will be those that are not yet known to be fraudulent. Then
you have to revert to and rely upon innate skepticism, which you should know
how to do and have been doing all along..

Oh, agreed, it's not an absolute. But, when you consider the population
of motivated people who enjoy exposing spammers and scammers for what
they are, and the fact that a lot of us are using the toolbar for
reporting the sites, the odds of you being the first to stumble upon a
phishing site are low. If you are, it's easy enough to submit it as a
suspected phish.

I'm not saying it's a cure-all but having a window come up "you have
attempted to navigate to a known fraudulent site" in the case of a known
problem is just another layer between us and the bad guys.