NEWBIE question,,,,

Old April 12th 05, 01:28 PM
Robbo

Maybe they can make coin-specific bags?...ones without the "waffling" in
them? Hmmmm....

"Ben" wrote in message
news
they are just sugesting " BACKING"

"" but be sure that you place some type of backing""

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
"Ben" wrote in message

JUST FYI OFF THE FOODSAVER WEBSITE

Can I keep comic books or coins in FoodSaver bags?
A. Yes, but just seal the bags, do not vacuum them. The pressure
caused by the vacuum can cause the pages and print transfers to stick
together. Coins can be vacuum-packed, but be sure that you place some
type of backing, such as cardboard, in the bag against the "waffle"
side, and face the coins toward the smooth side of the bag. This will
eliminate the possibility of any marks left on the coins after long
term storage.

Your recommend putting cardboard next to the coin? Hmmmmm.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old April 12th 05, 01:30 PM
Anita

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:01:08 GMT, "Ben" wrote:

bruce h said that there is cemicals in the plastic,,,,
its weird but i should do some more checking

If the coins were in some type of inert holder, it wouldn't be a bad
idea.

Anita
Old April 12th 05, 01:32 PM
Anita

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:29:36 GMT, "Ben" wrote:

JUST FYI OFF THE FOODSAVER WEBSITE

Can I keep comic books or coins in FoodSaver bags?
A. Yes, but just seal the bags, do not vacuum them. The pressure caused by
the vacuum can cause the pages and print transfers to stick together. Coins
can be vacuum-packed, but be sure that you place some type of backing, such
as cardboard, in the bag against the "waffle" side, and face the coins
toward the smooth side of the bag. This will eliminate the possibility of
any marks left on the coins after long term storage.

Would the cardboard not react with the coins' surfaces?

Anita
Old April 12th 05, 01:50 PM
Xray

"Ben" wrote in -
kc.rr.com:

Is it a bad idea to use a FOODSAVER machine to preserve coins.

Does this mean that you will now store your bologna in a safe deposit box ?

Old April 12th 05, 03:25 PM
Jerry Dennis

Ed Hendricks wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

JUST FYI OFF THE FOODSAVER WEBSITE

Can I keep comic books or coins in FoodSaver bags?
A. Yes, but just seal the bags, do not vacuum them. The pressure
caused by the vacuum can cause the pages and print transfers to

stick
together. Coins can be vacuum-packed, but be sure that you place

some
type of backing, such as cardboard, in the bag against the "waffle"
side, and face the coins toward the smooth side of the bag. This

will
eliminate the possibility of any marks left on the coins after long
term storage.

Your recommend putting cardboard next to the coin? Hmmmmm.

--
=A9=BF=A9=AC
~
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621
"Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you can
only spend it once!"

CoinSaver/Dobac/Tim uses a Foodsaver for his coins and hasn't reported
any problems. I'd imagine putting your coin in a 2x2 then sealing it
wouldn't hurt. BTW, has anyone heard from him recently?

Jerry

Old April 12th 05, 03:53 PM
Edward McGrath

Jerry asks, has anyone heard from coinsaver/Dobac/Tim recently? snip
Last time he e-mailed me was 12-8-04. I remember Tim posting that he was
using a friends computer to post in RCC because his computer had some
problems.

Old April 14th 05, 02:32 AM
bri

"Ben" wrote in message
Is it a bad idea to use a FOODSAVER machine to preserve coins.

Depends on how long you want to store them. Any kind of plastic will rot
eventually. Some kinds faster than others. They sure won't make plastic food
bags anywhere near what you would want for keeping things fresh. They make
them for keeping food fresh for a short time--months not years and years.
You could always replace them every other month to be sure--sounds like a
pain to do. 2x2 mylar flips is the best long term but you still should
change those every couple of years. There really is no sure fire way to keep
the ravages of time from eating away at a coin. Any method has it's
drawbacks and pluses.
What's more important is to keep them in a dark, dry place devoid of sudden
temperature changes. Do that and you won't have to worry so much about a
storage food bag, tubes or flips.
HTH ;-)

Old April 14th 05, 03:40 AM
winwin

Depends on how long you want to store them. Any kind of plastic will
rot
eventually. Some kinds faster than others. They sure won't make plastic
food
bags anywhere near what you would want for keeping things fresh. They
make
them for keeping food fresh for a short time--months not years and
years.
You could always replace them every other month to be sure--sounds like
pain to do. 2x2 mylar flips is the best long term but you still should
change those every couple of years. There really is no sure fire way to
keep
the ravages of time from eating away at a coin

So this is the gist of what I take from this discussion of the
progressivity of toning that has been continuing for the past couple of
weeks.

Any contact with oxygen will make the toning progress from golden to
black over time. The only suggestion for removing oxygen is to use a
food saver vacuum device, but that involves collateral damage that is
almost as bad.

So once you have allowed your coins to tone, there is no safe way to
arrest the chemical reaction? No way to achieve the desired level of
"doctoring" and then freeze it?

Regards,
Tom

Old April 14th 05, 04:10 AM
Phil DeMayo

On 13 Apr 2005 19:40:43 -0700, "winwin"
wrote:

Any contact with oxygen will make the toning progress from golden to
black over time. The only suggestion for removing oxygen........

Oxygen?
Old April 14th 05, 02:10 PM
note.boy

If anyone has wondered why salad leaves go brown so quickly after a bag
of pre prepared salad has been opened it's because the bag is filled
with nitrogen to keep the salad fresh.

Perhaps slabs could be filled with nitrogen to keep coins "fresh".

If any slabbing company should adopt this I want it noted here and now
that it was my idea and I will require a 10c US royalty fee for each
"nitroslab" sold. Billy

wrote:

Any contact with oxygen will make the toning progress from golden to
black over time. The only suggestion for removing oxygen........

Oxygen?

Antarctica Note Question (Currency Board Newbie) Shystev99 Paper Money 5 December 1st 04 06:50 PM
Newbie and a question : Cutting mounts for blocks/sheets Klaus Rampelmann General Discussion 9 October 20th 04 06:56 PM
Newbie cleaning question Randy Coins 17 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Dumb question from a Newbie Stu Mac Coins 17 April 30th 04 06:54 AM
Coins newbie question Jim Wyant Coins 8 January 14th 04 09:10 PM