Using Google to complete town postmarks

Old July 17th 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

Default Using Google to complete town postmarks

Google has gotten quite good at fixing spelling "errors".
Occasionally it is overly-eager: I was once searching for someone with
the surname "Cassidey". Google asked, "Did you mean CASSIDY?" There
was NO button for 'no', and all the pages, as far as I could tell,
matched for either. Made the search more difficult than it would have
to be.

But: Looking at a South Australia partial postmark today --
"...AITLAND" -- a quick search for "South Australiia aitland" returned
"Did you mean 'South Australia Maitland?'" Why, yes, it appears I
did. Thank you, Google! ;-)

(Would an 1894 postmark from this town be scarce in any fashion?)

("Maitland" may have been a 'gimme' to those with better knowledge of
Australia -- I apologize if my ignorance is *especially* great in this
circumstance :-)

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Old July 17th 09, 11:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Tough call Joshua,
I have the postmark scarcity compendium for Western Australia
but not for South Australia
I am a South Aussie originally, and have never heard of it,
however "Maitland" New South Wales is very well known.

bottom line
always keep good legible postmarks

Google may prompt you but AFAIK you need not accept their suggestion

Old July 18th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

Default Postmark Scarcity for South Australia (was: Using Google to completetown postmarks)

On Jul 17, 3:04*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
Tough call Joshua,
I have the postmark scarcity compendium for Western Australia
but not for South Australia
I am a South Aussie originally, and have never heard of it,
however "Maitland" New South Wales is very well known.

bottom line
always keep good legible postmarks

Does anyone have a comparable volume with South Australia postmark
scarcities

Old July 18th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

To save you some expense,
drop an email to one of these perhaps?
http://www.apf.org.au/sa/saclubs.htm

HTH

Old July 19th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

On Jul 17, 3:04*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:

Google may prompt you but AFAIK you need not accept their suggestion

Yes, that is my normal experience. However, in the Cassidey/Cassidy
situation, I was not able to match only on the former. I wanted to
tell Google: "I know the name I'm looking for!"

Old July 20th 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
CASACUDOR

On Jul 20, 12:05*am, Joshua McGee wrote:
On Jul 17, 3:04*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:

Google may prompt you but AFAIK you need not accept their suggestion

Yes, that is my normal experience. *However, in the Cassidey/Cassidy
situation, I was not able to match only on the former. *I wanted to
tell Google: "I know the name I'm looking for!"

--
Joshua H. McGee
Sierra Madre, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, MBPC
Trade?: *http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/

results for cassidey on my Romanian google = 412000
http://www.google.com/search?q=Cassi...&start=10&sa=N
Rezultatele (results) 11 - 20 din aproximativ 412.000 pentru Cassidey.
(0,12 secunde)
Old July 20th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_2_]

results for cassidey on my Romanian google = 412000http://www.google.com/search?q=Cassidey&hl=ro&rls=gm&start=10&sa=N
Rezultatele (results) 11 - 20 din aproximativ 412.000 pentru Cassidey.
(0,12 secunde)

Well, no, it seems that my experience is not reproducible today on
google.com either.

However, the first several pages of results suggest that it would be
*extremely* unfortunate if your surname were "Cassidey".

Old July 28th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Joshua
For Australia postmarks I use the Australia postcode finder

www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes

As you can imagine this deals with modern postcodes but can be used to
identify some ( probably not all ) placenames. Any string of
consecutive letters will elicit a number of options, some of which
will no doubt be relevant.

Other countries please copy.

Malcolm

Old July 28th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jul 28, 1:31*pm, wrote:
Joshua
For Australia postmarks I use the Australia postcode finder

www1.auspost.com.au/postcodes

As you can imagine this deals with modern postcodes but can be used to
identify some ( probably not all ) placenames. Any string of
consecutive letters will elicit a number of options, some of which
will no doubt be relevant.

Other countries please copy.

Malcolm

Canada has copied GB in glorious detail,
when it comes to postcodes. My residence
postcode narrows to 11 houses on one
side of our street.

You can search (find the postcode for an
address) and reverse search (find the
addresses for a postcode) online.

Large volume mail customers get
their own postcode.
(e.g. K1G 3J8 =
250 TREMBLAY RD
OTTAWA ON K1G 3J8)

Blair

Blair
Old July 31st 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

I find that not many countries postcode sites will identify a place
name ( or list of possibles) when presented with a string of three or
four letters in the middle of a word.

There is a French site ( not post office ) which can do this but I
have forgotten the URL pro tem.

Many of the other sites I have found so far cannot even give a
postcode for a town. If you have the complete address yes, but town
name no. Or if you have the postcode it will identify where it is.

The best way is to use wiki, then link to a commercial website in the
town concerned - this usually but not always contains at least a part
of the postcode.

However this is all about the fun of the chase !

Malcolm