Postmark ID (no4?) Poland and KUT

Old July 28th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default Postmark ID (no4?) Poland and KUT

1. Poland. A modern (ish) stamp Dzierzonio??? ( w? ). I think this is
58 200 postcode( in Lower Silesia), using "fallingrain" and wikipedia.

However the problem is that the "anglicization" of non-English letters
in the Polish language is inconsistent, and fallingrain shows a number
of variations. Is anyone with knowledge of Polish able to confirm my
conclusion?

2. KUT. a 1938 20c def. "SING ?????" in a narrow double ring. My
conclusion based on instinct, a look at a modern map, and the spacing
of the letters in relation to the traces of the date is SINGIDA ( now
in Tanzania ). However the pbbooks list of Commonwealth postmarks and
fallingrain give the following additional possibilities-

Kenya - Singore

Uganda - Singo, Singya

Tanganyika ( Tanzania ) Singino, Singiza.

The Uganda ones don't quite fit the spacing.

Is there an east African Postal Historian who knows enough about the
dates of operation of post offices to positively identify?

Thanks

Malcolm
Old July 28th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jul 28, 1:56Â*pm, malcolm wrote:
[...]

A scan of the stamps, but here goes.

1. Dzierzonio (city) aka Dzierżoniów 50°45'N 16°39'E
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzier%C5%BConi%C3%B3w

52-200 is part of Wroclaw postal region (50-xxx to 52-xxx),
which would fit its location. SW of Wroclaw E of Walbrzych
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...odes_in_Poland

Old July 29th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

You may like to kick the tyres on this link for info on Poland Malcolm.
http://www.atsnotes.com/other/gerpol.html

HTH

Old July 31st 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Thanks both. I have saved the Polish site for future ref.

I was 99.9% sure of the Polish ID, but I have learned never to be
complacent in these matters.

Statistically I am pretty sure of the KUT too - but that will stay in
the pending file for the moment. Those of you who subscribe elsewhere
may see it put in an appearence there too.

I have a stack more pending ID yet, but I have to decipher the
lettering which does appear before I launch them for your perusal.

Malcolm

Postmark Peter Baumann[_2_] General Discussion 9 June 22nd 09 10:52 PM
US postmark. rodney General Discussion 6 April 13th 09 12:56 AM
Postmark Query. Rod General Discussion 0 May 22nd 07 11:10 AM
Postmark ID please Gerhard Reichert General Discussion 7 April 23rd 07 06:37 PM
US postmark query. Rod General Discussion 4 February 24th 07 08:31 AM