Postmarks~Intertwined ropes.

Old June 11th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Postmarks~Intertwined ropes.

Apologies to Tuvalu,
The postmaster did respond.
My opt was genuine (and common)

"rodney"
The postmaster at Tuvalu for a "Specimen" overprint I think is a fake,
amongst others.
Silence ...............Is anyone out there?

Old June 11th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 3 June, 12:13, Asia-translation
wrote:
On Jun 2, 5:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:

Thank you Joshua, but not required.
Tony and I were just curious as to when and why they appeared.
We evidenced them on Iish and now GB mail.
They may indeed be a parcel canceller.

Here is another, from Axbridge, Somerset, on a 'small packet' (from
Murray Payne, the excellent Geo VI dealers). Oatlands Mount and
Axbridge both sound like smallish places, and I wonder if they would
have specific parcels cancels. *More likely these are counter cancels,
and we see them on parcels simply because the parcels were lodged
over, and cancelled at, the counter.

Another Tony

Sorry, everyone, I should have responded to this thread before. They
are, indeed, the steel counter cancel. Here is one from my local PO,
on a receipt: http://cjoint.com/?glpPclI3QU They will be used on
anything passed over the counter, including parcels, special delivery
(newspeak for registered etc.), ...

I you find a co-operative clerk, they will even hand you the canceller
to use yourself when you explain "it's going to a stamp collector".

Chris
Old June 12th 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Aha, "Rope" cancel, (and steel)
Now we know.
Thanks Chris.

Old July 27th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

They are also used on pension book counterfoils,to validate car-tax
discs and for any other receipt,cancellation or validation for
transactions made at post office counters. I suspect that use on mail
as a percentage of strikes is quite low. Part payment by stamp and
part by label, or cancellation of pre-stamped ( by the poster )
packets are probably the only uses on stamps.

Malcolm

On Jun 12, 12:09*am, "rodney" wrote:
Aha, *"Rope" cancel, (and steel)
Now we know.
Thanks Chris.

wrote:
On Jun 2, 5:53 pm, "rodney" wrote:

[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

Old July 27th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

They are also used on pension book counterfoils,to validate car-tax
discs and for any other receipt,cancellation or validation for
transactions made at post office counters. I suspect that use on mail
as a percentage of strikes is quite low. Part payment by stamp and
part by label, or cancellation of pre-stamped ( by the poster )
packets are probably the only uses on stamps.
Malcolm

I must disagree there, Malcolm,
there is an abundance of these postmarks in Australia
that would support Mr. Chris Doran's suggestion of parcel use.

Actually, it is a modern example of a "squared postmark" if you look closely
at my example on 20 quids worth of parcel postage on some "castle" issues,
you can see clearly the outline of the hammer's box.
http://cjoint.com/data/hBtTvHUS5p.htm

HTH

Old July 27th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Rodney

These days when most people pay for parcels at the post office a label
is issued from a machine in 99% of cases ( the post office operators
actually receive more credit for machine labels than for stamps). If
you want a nice postmark you pay part of the postage with stamps and
the rest with a label ( the counter stamp is used to cancel the stamps
while the issue of the label counts as the cancellation too ). In
practice the majority of parcels/packets cancelled this way are
actioned by collectors ( to other collectors....?). Commercial parcels
handled by "Parcel Force" ( and collected at source ) do not even get
the label- there are a number of compatible systems used by large
scale operators just like the ones used by TNT, DHL,ANC, Fed Ex etc.
Only a small proportion of parcels (Those sent by Joe Public as
Christmas and Birthday presents for example ) even see a post office.
Additionally the "other" parcel carriers have implants in retail
outlets such as Staples the office stationery firm so even small users
do not need to use the post offices. Without e-bay sellers the post
office based parcel collections would probably be moribund by now !
Many post offices do not even stock stamps with a face value of over a
pound, these have to be obtained from large city post offices or the
philatelic bureau or counters.

Malcolm

Old July 27th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes, Malcolm,
When I resided at Como beach, that was my experience too. (upper class area)
I had to go to head office to get the large $5 aussie stamp.

Since moving location, and hosting international students
our local Post Office is radically different.
It is not uncommon to see the PO staff (Chinese) sitting, (squatting "Nang
Yong Yong" in Thai)
affixing stamps to large parcels and cancelling them.
It is in the Curtin University environs, and all racial types are evident
with mail going to all corners of the globe.
The common evidence of the rope postmark (in Australia at least) suggests
that
its genesis is more than favour cancelled.
From what I see here, it is probably a necessity to request a favour cancel
in Britain
if one wants anything like a nice impression on a GB stamp.
It has overtaken India in reputation for hideous cancellations.

Old July 28th 09, 08:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Pretty strong, Young Rodney!

Tony of the Antipodes

From what I see here, it is probably a necessity to request a favour cancel

Old July 28th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jul 27, 4:29*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:

It is not uncommon to see the PO staff (Chinese) sitting, (squatting "Nang
Yong Yong" in Thai) affixing stamps to large parcels and cancelling them.

Rodney:

My knees are getting too old for Nang Yong Yong, so I have to settle
for
Nang Khook Khao, which I assume is acceptable in present company.

wai juuhr gan

Blair

Old July 28th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

I have never been able to squat nang yong yong Blair,
and Nang Khook Khao is murder on the knees.
When in the temple, and listening to the monk's discourse,
I sit nang paap piap, whilst leaning discreetly against a wall
or I topple over.
If the monk rambles on, I sometimes have to surrender
and sit in a chair.
In my hey day, I could sit cross legged for 3 hours
without a blink.
Those days have vapourised.
Proudly, I have never "nodded off" during a discourse.
Once, I had been meditating for an hour or so, and the temple cat
nuzzled up in my lap, which rather challenged the focus.

"Blair"