The moon is a clipped planchet

Old May 4th 04, 08:41 PM
A.Gent

Default The moon is a clipped planchet

....never mind a harsh mistress...

**Yawn**

Its 5:40am local (Sydney) and the moon is eclipsing.
She looks just like a mint error, settling into the misty haze over Sydney this
morning.

Here's a shot taken about 25 minutes ago:
http://mendosus.com/jpg/eclipse-5-5-04.jpg

Pretty average quality photo, but she's sinking fast into the murk.

Whaddy'a reckon? AU58?

--
Jeff R.

Old May 4th 04, 09:14 PM
A.Gent

An update, FWIW:

http://mendosus.com/eclipse.html

The moon's about to set - the sun's about to rise, so this is the best I can do.

Lousy photos, but nice toning - and the moon is just about to be dipped (not in
thiourea - in the horizon)

--
Jeff R.

Old May 4th 04, 09:53 PM
Ian

A.Gent wrote:

An update, FWIW:

http://mendosus.com/eclipse.html

The moon's about to set - the sun's about to rise, so this is the best I can do.

Lousy photos, but nice toning - and the moon is just about to be dipped (not in
thiourea - in the horizon)

--
Jeff R.

I was advised that the moon would appear to have a crimson / orange
colour to it due to `earthlight'....but sadly, it was all just a bit
grey. Then again, maybe the thick cloud cover here had something to do
with that.....never saw the firkin moon at all all evening. :-)

Ian

Old May 4th 04, 10:08 PM
A.Gent

"Ian" wrote in message
A.Gent wrote:

An update, FWIW:

http://mendosus.com/eclipse.html

The moon's about to set - the sun's about to rise, so this is the best I can do.

Lousy photos, but nice toning - and the moon is just about to be dipped (not in
thiourea - in the horizon)

--
Jeff R.

I was advised that the moon would appear to have a crimson / orange
colour to it due to `earthlight'....but sadly, it was all just a bit
grey. Then again, maybe the thick cloud cover here had something to do
with that.....never saw the firkin moon at all all evening. :-)

Ian

There *was* a distinctly coppery glow to it - just before it set - but the poor old
Mavica couldn't show that. I could barely find the moon in the viewfinder.

I did much better 4 years ago: http://faxmentis.org/html/science12.html

and again 3 years ago: http://faxmentis.org/html/science30a.html

but I didn't bother setting up the 'scope or getting out the proper cameras this
time, 'cause it was so low in the sky.

--
Jeff R.

Old May 4th 04, 11:26 PM
tony

In message
Ian wrote:

A.Gent wrote:

An update, FWIW:

http://mendosus.com/eclipse.html

The moon's about to set - the sun's about to rise, so this is the best I can do.

Lousy photos, but nice toning - and the moon is just about to be dipped (not in
thiourea - in the horizon)

--
Jeff R.

I was advised that the moon would appear to have a crimson / orange
colour to it due to `earthlight'....but sadly, it was all just a bit
grey. Then again, maybe the thick cloud cover here had something to do
with that.....never saw the firkin moon at all all evening. :-)

Ian

Here in Surrey it was behind a cloud bank to the East while total,
but later this evening it was a superb sight in a clear sky,
although partial.

The umbral shadow has now gone at 11.25, but definitely traces of the
penumbra are visible in a distinct dulling at the top.

[back on topic]
Why are UK clipped planchets so rare? Good quality control
at the Royal Mint, no doubt.

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old May 5th 04, 04:04 AM
Winde Walker

A.Gent wrote:

....never mind a harsh mistress...

**Yawn**

Its 5:40am local (Sydney) and the moon is eclipsing.
She looks just like a mint error, settling into the misty haze over Sydney this
morning.

Here's a shot taken about 25 minutes ago:
http://mendosus.com/jpg/eclipse-5-5-04.jpg

Pretty average quality photo, but she's sinking fast into the murk.

Whaddy'a reckon? AU58?

--
Jeff R.

Nah, I would say just VF, look how grainy and worn the edges appear,
yep, definitely only VF.

Winde
Old May 5th 04, 06:51 AM
Ian

A.Gent wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

A.Gent wrote:

[...]

Kewl!! These snaps are how I had imagined this one would be. Nice
photography there matey!

and again 3 years ago: http://faxmentis.org/html/science30a.html

nice again but where's the toning? It's looking like it's been
dipped....or (gasp)..dremmeled! :-)

but I didn't bother setting up the 'scope or getting out the proper cameras this
time, 'cause it was so low in the sky.

why is that? atmospherics / light polution / too short a cycle to bother
with / other?

Ian
Old May 5th 04, 09:57 AM
A.Gent

"Ian" wrote in message
A.Gent wrote:

There *was* a distinctly coppery glow to it - just before it set -
but the poor old
Mavica couldn't show that. I could barely find the moon in the viewfinder.

I did much better 4 years ago: http://faxmentis.org/html/science12.html

Kewl!! These snaps are how I had imagined this one would be. Nice
photography there matey!

and again 3 years ago: http://faxmentis.org/html/science30a.html

nice again but where's the toning? It's looking like it's been
dipped....or (gasp)..dremmeled! :-)

Coupl'a factors at work here.
The first set (science12) was taken with a webcam mounted on a 200mm f.l. lens.
At low light the webcam got a bit noisy.
This was a total eclipse, and it did (as you can see!) exhibit substantial reddening
(izzat a word?)

The second set (science30a) was taken with a 35mm camera at the prime focus of a
1000mm f.l. telescope (f/8.3), using Elite Chrome transparency film. (Not afocal - no
eyepiece used). This film is well known to be excellent at reproducing accurate
colours at low light. Those "dipped" colours are pretty accurate - note that the one
at maximum eclipse shows a faint tinge of red at the darkest bit. I was exposing the
frame for the body of the moon - which washed out the reddish dark bit.

No whizzing required.

but I didn't bother setting up the 'scope or getting out the proper cameras
this time, 'cause it was so low in the sky.

why is that? atmospherics / light polution / too short a cycle to bother
with / other?

The first two certainly. Dirty atmosphere close to the horizon.
I live in the suburbs, and the sky is pretty bright. Yuk.

Pragmatically: *None* of my 35mm cameras are currently operational! Its so long since
I've used them (I've gone digital) that they all have flat batteries! The mechanical
ones (no batteries req'd) I couldn't use 'cause I don't have the lenses handy
anymore.

I couldn't use the webcam, 'cause the laptop has been pinched. :-(

Plus - I just couldn't be bothered dragging the big heavy telescope 10km to work,
where I could have found a clear horizon to the west. Not at 5 in the a.m. (yawwwnn)

So - I just pointed the Mavica (at full telephoto) at the moon and hoped for the
best.

Very average results, but heck - it proved that I saw it, and I *have* already
captured a total lunar eclipse nicely.

Plus - I'm getting old and losing enthusiasm....

Other interests, too.

I wonder how many folks saw the half-eclipsed moon and thought: "hmmmm. Clipped
planchet."

Did I mention? I'm going senile, too.

Now, what was the question again?

--
Jeff R.
(I think)

Old May 5th 04, 04:01 PM
A.Gent

"tony" wrote in message

Here in Surrey it was behind a cloud bank to the East while total,
but later this evening it was a superb sight in a clear sky,
although partial.

The umbral shadow has now gone at 11.25, but definitely traces of the
penumbra are visible in a distinct dulling at the top.

I couldn't discern the penumbral shadow at all, due to a combination of sleepy eyes
(stumbling out of bed at 4am) and a light hazy cloud cover.

I have to say, though, that the sight of the fully eclipsed moon - glowing crimson
and so dark that it doesn't wash out the stars - is nothing short of magnificent (and
*spooky*!)

[back on topic]
Why are UK clipped planchets so rare? Good quality control
at the Royal Mint, no doubt.

Same here in Aussie.

Mind you, I suspect that the astronomical (back off-topic!) mintage figures in the US
could have something to do with this, too.

--
Jeff R.

Old May 5th 04, 06:45 PM
Coin Saver