need help researching 1909 silver penny

Old January 25th 04, 11:09 PM
Darkpaws

Default need help researching 1909 silver penny

My grandfather recently passed away and i found his coin collection.A
certain coin caught my eye..is a 1909 silver penny.On one side is a picture
of lincoln..on the others side is a wreath of some sort with the leter V in
the middle.I've tried finding something silimar online but nothing exactly
matches.Can anyone help?
matt

Old January 26th 04, 12:35 AM
Robert Murphy

Sounds like you have a 1909 nickel, not a silver penny. Liberty is
portrayed on the obverse, not Lincoln. Good Luck.

Bob

e.rogers.com...

Old January 26th 04, 12:35 AM
Michael R

"Darkpaws" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

My grandfather recently passed away and i found his coin collection.A
certain coin caught my eye..is a 1909 silver penny.On one side is a

picture
of lincoln..on the others side is a wreath of some sort with the leter V

in
the middle.I've tried finding something silimar online but nothing exactly
matches.Can anyone help?
matt

almost sounds like a Liberty head nickel with the V, except for the Lincoln
part. where does it state one cent and does it have the good ol' USA on it?

--
Michael R
ANA #173222

Old January 26th 04, 04:14 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"Darkpaws" wrote:
... and i found his coin collection....is a 1909 silver penny.
On one side is a picture of lincoln..on the others side is
a wreath of some sort with the leter V

It sounds like a 5-cent nickel, a Liberty Nickel (or V Nickel) issued
1883-1912. If it is so worn that you cannot tell Lincoln from Miss
Liberty, then it is probably woth a dollar or two and is best kept as
a memory of your Grandfather.

1909 was both the first year of the Lincoln Cent and the last year of
the Indian Head Cent, both of which are copper and both of which say
"One Cent." The 1909 V Nickel says "V [ Roman numeral 5 in the
center] with "Cents" underneath.

Try this link from Ron Guth's "Coin Facts" web pages:
http://www.coinfacts.com/nickels/liberty_nickels.html

Michael
ANA R-162953
Old January 26th 04, 09:53 PM
ELurio

Look, 1909 was the Lincoln centennial and all sorts of medallic stuff wias
issued privately.

eric l.
Old January 26th 04, 10:11 PM
Bob Flaminio

Darkpaws wrote:
My grandfather recently passed away and i found his coin collection.A
certain coin caught my eye..is a 1909 silver penny.On one side is a
picture of lincoln..on the others side is a wreath of some sort with
the leter V in the middle.

OK, others have given you more likely explanations, but I'll go out on a
limb here -- it's remotely possible that you've got a nickel planchet
that was struck with the V nickel reverse and Lincoln obverse. You will
want to show this to a coin dealer for confirmation first, and then get
it authenticated if the dealer confirms it. We can talk more on that
later; get a dealer's opinion first.

If this is the case, and I will say it is an extraordinarily remote
possibility, the coin would be worth many tens of thousands of dollars,
I would think.

--
Bob

Old January 26th 04, 10:18 PM
Michael R

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
Darkpaws wrote:
[...]

Boy, wouldn't that be nice! But as you state, remote.

--
Michael R
ANA #173222

Old January 27th 04, 01:46 AM
Cliff

"Bob Flaminio" wrote:

Darkpaws wrote:
My grandfather recently passed away and i found his coin collection.A
certain coin caught my eye..is a 1909 silver penny.On one side is a
picture of lincoln..on the others side is a wreath of some sort with
the leter V in the middle.

OK, others have given you more likely explanations, but I'll go out on a
limb here -- it's remotely possible that you've got a nickel planchet
that was struck with the V nickel reverse and Lincoln obverse. You will
want to show this to a coin dealer for confirmation first, and then get
it authenticated if the dealer confirms it. We can talk more on that
later; get a dealer's opinion first.

If this is the case, and I will say it is an extraordinarily remote
possibility, the coin would be worth many tens of thousands of dollars,
I would think.

If that were the case it's more likely to be an early magician coin.
Just my .06 worth.
Cliff

Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 January 11th 04 08:01 PM
Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 December 3rd 03 03:26 AM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM