Why We Left The Gold Standard

Old August 5th 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

Default Why We Left The Gold Standard

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bremick wrote:

"Paul Ciszek" wrote in message
Good points. Also, many laid off or fired employees are too reluctant
relocate or to learn new skills. Or to accept a lower paying job. Why
bother when they can make more money for the next two years on the
dole?

Really? People are living well on Unemployment Insurance? Unemployment
Insurance is
something that people pay into, it's not the dole.

I never said people were "living well", although many are receiving over
$500 a week. That's $26,000 a year.

And who are they? The average unemployment payment in the country is about
$330/week. In Virginia, the MAXIMUM is about $355 or about $18500/year.
So if you were a worker in Virginia, making the average salary of $45000
or about $865/week, you could expect to get $355 per week if you were
laid off. Most of the younger people I know with families, mortgages, and
the like, live paycheck to paycheck and a drop of $500 in their weekly
income would have a dramatic effect

According to this website, the majority of states provide average benefits
of $300-$500 dollars.
http://fileunemployment.org/unemploy...rison-by-state

What's your cite? I live in VA and have no idea what our average is. In
contrast, most of the young families I know do NOT live paycheck to
paycheck. So we apparently are at a standoff.

I sure could manage to live on that, considering the alternatives.

I could probably live on it too if I were a retired government worker with
a big pension and health insurance paid mostly by the government and no
mortgage, or wife and kids to support. But thats not the typical worker
in the United States.

I'm talking about someone unemployed-- not a retired govt worker with a
pension. Is your bias showing? An unemployed person and family would HAVE
to live on $300-500 plus food stamps, etc. They would make do, as I said,
considering the alternatives, often up to 99 weeks.

People don't pay into it. It comes from taxing employers,

Hey! you got something right!

Since it seems important to you, it looks to me like I may have trumped YOU.

but guess who ends up funding the cost in the long run. Once that 99 weeks
runs out people then can qualify for other types of federal assistance.
It never ends.

All the while using the same infrastructure and services the rest of us
are
paying taxes for to keep going.

It's called a free society where people come together for the common
good.

You sound like someone from the flower child generation.

Or someone who read the U. S. Constitution. You know, like the Preamble
(caps are mine for emphasis) that goes

"WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES, IN ORDER TO form a more perfect
Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the
common defence, PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE, and secure the Blessings of
Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this
Constitution for the United States of America."

Or Article I Section 8 that starts.

"Section. 8.

THE CONGRESS SHALL HAVE POWER TO LAY AND COLLECT TAXES, DUTIES, IMPOSTS
AND EXCISES, TO pay the Debts and PROVIDE FOR the common Defense and
GENERAL WELFARE OF THE UNITED STATES; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises
shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

Personally, I think these passages should be required reading along with
the rest of the document.

My opinion still stands. Get off your pompous soapbox.