Time to change the definition of "coin rotation"

Old December 20th 03, 05:17 AM
Jim

Colin Kynoch continues to pretend at having a clue...

Not platic as such but polymer.

Sorry mate. See your other ad barfinitum post.

All plastics are polymers. Yours are specifically polypropylene, lamintated,
but just plastic ol boy.

And remember wing nuttis, every counterfeiter is just one step behind an
amateur. That could be why all you rainbow nations never stop re-inventing the
wheel. You couldn't build one right to begin with.

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--
Old December 20th 03, 05:40 AM
Serenus Zeitblom

"A.Gent" wrote in message news:3fe3902d$0$18691
LOL! Good troll.

Shh!
Old December 20th 03, 11:54 AM
F B

Jeff wrote:
Just a word of clarification from the Antipodes: our comic book coloured
money is *plastic*, not paper.
Works t'riffic, too!
They are also different sizes. larger denom larger note and different
color.
Really much easier.
Doris

Old December 20th 03, 12:57 PM
A.Gent

"F B" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Just a word of clarification from the Antipodes: our comic book coloured
money is *plastic*, not paper.
Works t'riffic, too!
They are also different sizes. larger denom larger note and different
color.
Really much easier.
Doris

I keep forgetting that all US notes are the same size.
That really is bizarre.

Old December 20th 03, 01:11 PM
A.Gent

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
A.Gent wrote:

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

I think it was originally to make sure that the dates
were well struck. On British silver & gold coins from
the late 17th and the 18th century, the date of the coin
was at the top of the reverse

(that's by no means universal, BTW)

Counterexamples include some William & Mary silver with the date
around the middle, the 1787 silver of George III and some of the
Maundy type coinage of George III. It does appear to be true of
most of them. The only one of the counterexamples I own, a 1800
silver penny, has medal rotation. Perhaps you can tell me about
some of the others. I don't have a catalogue which shows the die
orientation.

My fault in poor quoting...
I actually meant that "coin" rotation wasn't universal, not the date in the
centre.

The issues from my collection in "medal" rotation I was referring to we

Geo.III 1816 shilling
Geo.III 1793 gold spade Guinea
Geo.III 1787 shilling and 6d
Geo.IV (everything? - certainly all I've got)
Victoria (ditto)
plus a whole bunch of hammered stuff Henry III, Edward I, Edward III, Henry
VIII, James I where, frankly, its a bit hard to work out sometimes which way
is meant to be up - say f'rinstance when the reverse is a cross, over a
circle, with text all around (360 deg) and no pointer to the "top". Besides
which, the hammered stuff usually has pretty random die orientation (in my
collection at least)

Then I see that most of my examples are outside the date mentioned by the
OP. Oops.
I shall retire to re-read my Spinks, and add further later, if relevant.

Jeff

Old December 20th 03, 01:18 PM
Bruce Remick

A.Gent wrote:
"F B" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:
Just a word of clarification from the Antipodes: our comic book coloured
money is *plastic*, not paper.
Works t'riffic, too!
They are also different sizes. larger denom larger note and different
color.
Really much easier.
Doris

I keep forgetting that all US notes are the same size.
That really is bizarre.

Small size bills "lost" in between the larger ones in the wallet would
be one potential irritation, IMO. I have become used to having the tops
of my bills flush across in my wallet. Over the years, we 'merkins also
have developed the ability to read the denominations on the corners on
our one-size paper bills, and we pass this skill down to our young.

I'm curious how easy a wallet full of plastic bills would be to handle
and sort in hot, humid climates. Or even in sub-zero winters.

Bruce

Old December 20th 03, 01:37 PM
A.Gent

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
A.Gent wrote:
I keep forgetting that all US notes are the same size.
That really is bizarre.

Small size bills "lost" in between the larger ones in the wallet would
be one potential irritation, IMO. I have become used to having the tops
of my bills flush across in my wallet. Over the years, we 'merkins also
have developed the ability to read the denominations on the corners on
our one-size paper bills, and we pass this skill down to our young.

I'm curious how easy a wallet full of plastic bills would be to handle
and sort in hot, humid climates. Or even in sub-zero winters.

Bruce

The size difference isn't all that extreme - our smallest note, at 131x65mm
is the $5. No way that's small enough to "get lost" in the wallet (unlike
some SE Asian postage stamp sized notes). Pix at
http://mendosus.com/5bucks.html
The largest, the $100, is allegedly 172x82.5mm. (Allegedly, 'cause I never
get to see them!) That's not all *that* much bigger than the $5 - though
easy to distinguish.

The heat/humidity question just isn't an issue. The notes aren't all
shiny/plasticky, they're more just "smooth". They handle and wear very
well. Don't stick together-easy to count etc etc.

As to the sub-zero winter problem: What's a sub-zero winter?

Jeff

Old December 20th 03, 04:38 PM
Bruce Remick

A.Gent wrote:

[...]

In your case, I suspect it's like one of those $100 bills you mentioned.
You seldom see them.

Bruce
'paper or plastic?'

Old December 20th 03, 05:21 PM
Edward McGrath

If there is plastic mixed into the money does that mean the bills can't
get wet? Ed

Old December 20th 03, 05:57 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Bruce Remick wrote:

Over the years, we 'merkins also have developed the ability to read the
denominations on the corners on our one-size paper bills, and we pass this
skill down to our young.

So that is why, contrary to those verbose US coins, your notes actually
show the values in digits?

SCNR ;-)
Christian