Time to change the definition of "coin rotation"

Old December 20th 03, 12:03 AM
A.Gent

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

I think it was originally to make sure that the dates
were well struck. On British silver & gold coins from
the late 17th and the 18th century, the date of the coin
was at the top of the reverse

(that's by no means universal, BTW)

...so arranging the dies
this way helped to ensure a well struck date.

Peter.

Ummm...
How does that make a difference?
Is there a "sweet spot" at 12 o'clock?
(not being sarcastic - really want to know)

Old December 20th 03, 02:49 AM
Peter Irwin

A.Gent wrote:

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message

I think it was originally to make sure that the dates
were well struck. On British silver & gold coins from
the late 17th and the 18th century, the date of the coin
was at the top of the reverse

(that's by no means universal, BTW)

Counterexamples include some William & Mary silver with the date
around the middle, the 1787 silver of George III and some of the
Maundy type coinage of George III. It does appear to be true of
most of them. The only one of the counterexamples I own, a 1800
silver penny, has medal rotation. Perhaps you can tell me about
some of the others. I don't have a catalogue which shows the die
orientation.

...so arranging the dies
this way helped to ensure a well struck date.

Peter.

Ummm...
How does that make a difference?
Is there a "sweet spot" at 12 o'clock?
(not being sarcastic - really want to know)

It's a theory I've heard. In general the top of the bust
requires more silver than the bottom, though I'm not sure
that that would be the case for Anne. Both of my Anne
sixpences are coinage rotation, so that doesn't seem to have
made a difference.

Peter.

Old December 20th 03, 04:57 AM
Colin Kynoch

A.Gent wrote:

"John LeMay" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:47:27 +0000, Jim wrote:

I know you've noticed that 99% of the world embraces comic book colored
paper money as well,

Actaully, I'd like to see the US have colored paper money.

Just a word of clarification from the Antipodes: our comic book coloured
money is *plastic*, not paper.

Works t'riffic, too!

Not platic as such but polymer.

Colin Kynoch

Old December 20th 03, 05:11 AM
A.Gent

"Colin Kynoch" wrote in message

Just a word of clarification from the Antipodes: our comic book

coloured
money is *plastic*, not paper.

Works t'riffic, too!

Not platic as such but polymer.