Will any more Dollar Coin supporters come forward?

Old November 14th 03, 12:40 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

I used to always send articles on the GD to Jim as well. When I would tell him
"I hope these articles are new to you" he always said "Never assume I seen
anything" so I would send him anything about news on the dollar coin.

Another thing, I used to go to bingo at a certain hall that had those toy crane
machines, and they would refuse rag dollars ALOT and I would always say, "We
wouldn't have this problem if we used dollar coins". Well, I told Jim this, and
he said "Things like your toy crane story sometimes make it into congressional
hearings" or something like that. I thought that was neat. Makes it sound like
its just one more good reason to eliminate the rag.

Tom
Old November 14th 03, 12:45 AM
Dale Bowman

Paper dollar bills are simply much more convenient to carry around. What
would you rather carry around?

Old November 14th 03, 12:58 AM
Bob Peterson

The supporters of the dollar coin never talk about convenience to the user,
only about supposed savings that don't really exist.

The only real use for the dollar coin is as change from vending machines,
and quite frankly I would bet dispensing bills as change would be no harder
and a whole lot easier on the vending guys who could carry a few pounds of
bills for change rather than needing a forklift to bring in the dollar
coins. :-)

Old November 14th 03, 01:28 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

What would I rather carry around?

A maximum of one $1 coin, and a few $2 bills.
Old November 14th 03, 02:31 AM
Bruce Remick

Bob Peterson wrote:

The supporters of the dollar coin never talk about convenience to the user,
only about supposed savings that don't really exist.

The only real use for the dollar coin is as change from vending machines,
and quite frankly I would bet dispensing bills as change would be no harder
and a whole lot easier on the vending guys who could carry a few pounds of
bills for change rather than needing a forklift to bring in the dollar
coins. :-)

And I certainly wouldn't want to stand in a line at the bank just to get
dollar coins to use in a laundry or vending machine that accepted them.
You can't even opt for dollar coins at an ATM machine. How much more
convenient can you get? The mint has its head in the sand.

Bruce
Old November 14th 03, 03:13 AM
Fred Shecter

The dollar coin replaces using 4 quarters in vending machines or a dollar bill in
vending machines or in 'regular' transactions.

They are more convenient. You do not have to pull your wallet out of your back pocket
(if that's where you keep it).

You will be able to use a $5 bill in vending machines and get change (newer models that
are actually showing up and replacing older models).

They are easier to scoop out of the cash register than rag dollars. How often do you see
the cashier flip up the bill retaining bar and then when they try to pull one FBI-RD out
they end up with several getting lulled out with some falling on the floor? Also,
automatic change dispensers can dispense them!
http://www.telequipcorp.com/cms/

If dollar coins are circulating the "vending guys" will not have to use a forklift. They
will have dollar coins coming into the machines and into the dollar coin tube of the
changer. Some will be dispensed and it the tube gets full some will drop into the coin
box. They will have less quarters to haul away. It's like the laundry or amusement
machine example - for every dollar that they now get in quarters they will only have one
dollar coin. The coin box will not fill up as fast and service visits will be reduced by
about 2/3. This has been proven in the car wash industry as well as the laundrys that
have converted.

Then there are those pesky real world countries like Canada and Australia who are quite
happy with their $1 and $2 coins. They do not carry around pound of coins (although in
England they carry around Pound coins...).
--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:

To reply by e-mail, remove zorch two places.

Old November 14th 03, 03:18 AM
Fred Shecter

You can get dollar coins at the ATM when they install the proper cassette/module:
http://www.diebold.com/
http://www2.diebold.com/whatsnews/cs...hts/case05.htm

Of course, most laundrys and car washes that use dollar coins have changers that will
break your $5, $10 and $20 into dollar coins. It's the real world and it works very
well.

And using coins is good for coin collectors. I'm amazed how many folks on a coin
collecting newsgroup seem to irrationally hate a coin. Especially when countries around
the world have shown how easy it is to change to a dollar coin and how the folks would
not want to go back after using them for a bit.

Old November 14th 03, 03:25 AM
Fred Shecter

Jim passe away from a brain tumor. Many of us did not know he was ill. It was last
November.

Tiny just passed away. He was a vending machine guru and you should read his bio. Quite
a guy! And a shining example of an "older guy" who is not stuck in his ways and was
willing to adapt to new things when he learned how they were better or good. like the
web and dollar coins.

http://www.vendingbiz.biz/
http://www.vendingbiz.biz/?category=8
http://www.vendingbiz.biz/index.php?story=760

--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

To reply by e-mail, remove zorch two places.

"bob peterson" wrote in message
om...
(Malanutt 4 Life) wrote in message

I was just wondering if anyone knows if more people who support the GD will
come forward to try to eliminate the rag dollar. Does anyone know if someone
will?

Too bad we lost Jim Benfield and Tiny. They were so pro-dollar coin. But now we
need someone else to stand up for the challenge of eliminating the rag dollar.
Is there any way we could encourage someone?

When you say lost, just what do you mean? That they went to work for
some other lobbying group?

Tom

Old November 14th 03, 03:26 AM
DyzeeGF3

[...]

The soda machines at school went up from $1 to $1.25 over the last summer.
Now, everyone is usually fiddling with a wrinkled, dog-eared paper dollar,
or 5 quarters. I enjoy having them step aside while I use my Sac/SBA and a
quarter, and out pops my ice cold beverage. Thanks Cola-Cola.

Old November 14th 03, 03:29 AM
Fred Shecter

Do you have stickers for the vending machine. The mint provided free stickers in several
sizes. They may still have some. If not I've got a few extras I can mail to folks if
they supply a SASE.

If you want some stickers (and the mint is out of them), send the SASE to:

FRED SHECTER
PO BOX 5165
FULLERTON CA 92838-0165

--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

To reply by e-mail, remove zorch two places.

. ..