Will any more Dollar Coin supporters come forward?

Old November 13th 03, 06:45 PM
Fred Shecter

Laundry was one of the many businesses targeted in the initial
marketing of the GD. Self-serve car washes were also targeted and many
have converted.

If you want the industires to lobby, then you've got to contact their
trade groups (like NAMA) and tell them to get a new lobbyist who can
revive the Coin Coalition. If they don't they could at least be urged
to hire someone to promote the use of the GD in their own industry and
win over the hold-outs.

melting the SBAs would help, as would ending the rag-dollar.

-Fred Shecter

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message ...
Bruce Remick wrote:

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone knows if more people who support the GD will
come forward to try to eliminate the rag dollar. Does anyone know if someone
will?

Too bad we lost Jim Benfield and Tiny. They were so pro-dollar coin. But now we
need someone else to stand up for the challenge of eliminating the rag dollar.
Is there any way we could encourage someone?

Tom

I wouldn't mind at all supporting the dollar coin if most merchants
would partipate by recirculating them as well. I'm simply not that
passionate about them to go out acquiring them at banks and then
spending them, only to see them "die" in cash registers. Too many
people still like using the paper dollar to hope for any groundswell of
public emotion to eliminate it, considering that the public never asked
for a dollar coin to begin with.

Some aspects of the public have been asking for it (ie, major vending
operators and municipal parking and transit agencies), their calls have
simply not been picked up in the mainstream popular press. Most people
continue to use the 'rags' out of sheer inertia, they are simply so used
to it that they use them without even thinking.

One area that could be BIG for $1 coins if some pioneering types in the
field would be willing to take the 'plunge' is the coin-op laundry
business, many of those machines take several doillars in quarters for a
cycle (one local Appleton area laundry has a high-capacity machine that
takes $6.25 in quarters for a cycle, another local one has an $8,
quarters only machine).

Old November 13th 03, 06:47 PM
Ami .

I believe the only way that the American public will start using a
dollar coin in everyday transactions is if the government stops making
paper dollar bills.

There was big effort made to get the American public to start using
dollar coins in 2000. The mint shipped millions of Sacagawea dollars to
Wal-Mart stores across the U.S. Anybody who made purchases at Wal-Marts
for a couple of weeks received nice, shiney Sackies in change. Some of
these 2000 Sackies are now in circulation, but most of them seem to have
been squirreled away by the public not as legal tender but as
collectibles.

Old November 13th 03, 07:17 PM
Edward McGrath

The brass buck was doomed from the beginning. You would think they would
have learned their lesson from the popularity of the SBA.

Old November 13th 03, 07:20 PM
Bruce Remick

Vector wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:36:02 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

considering that the public never asked
for a dollar coin to begin with.

That's true. I personally be happy to see a dollar coin succeed, and
don't believe it will as long as the paper bill is turned out. But,
whether the public 'requested it' or not there is a big purely
practical reason to back the coin. Coins cost more to manufacture but
are surely more economical since they last decades in circulation.

John Q. just doesn't consider any difference in the cost of making coins
vs paper to be something he should worry about, especially when the
government can easily come up with $87 billion to spend in Iraq. He
presumes that the government surely considered the costs when it decided
to produce both a dollar coin and bill at the same time.

John Q Public complained about SBA looking too much like a Quarter,
and the Mint responded to that with a different color and no reeding.
Hmmm, isn't that a response to a request?

The mint falsely thought that SBA-quarter size issue was the main reason
people weren't using the SBA. While that may have been the most common
response people gave when surveyed, they simply weren't ready to embrace
a dollar coin of *any* size or design, as long as comfortable paper
dollars were still available.

Bruce
Old November 13th 03, 07:20 PM
Bob Flaminio

Ami . wrote:
I believe the only way that the American public will start using a
dollar coin in everyday transactions is if the government stops making
paper dollar bills.

Yep. No amount of evangelicism, melting of SBAs, or ghosts of past coin
advocates will bring about acceptance of the dollar coin. Only the
ending of production for rag-bucks will do so.

--
Bob

Old November 13th 03, 08:23 PM
Barney

(bob peterson) wrote in

When you say lost, just what do you mean?

They are no longer with us.

Barney