Pennies add up to abortion message -- Church fills glass house with symbolic protest

Old December 7th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Pennies add up to abortion message -- Church fills glass house with symbolic protest

In article , "Brian Oakley" wrote:

wrote in message
In article , "Arizona Coin
Collector" wrote:
Hello

On the story below, the photo image link below shows the
building holding the pennies. It looks like the glass
pannels are about to pop out from the weight of the
pennies.

FROM:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-to-abortion-m

es
sage/

Pennies add up to abortion message

Church fills glass house with symbolic protest

Associated Press
Sunday, December 7, 2008

JACKSON -- There's a half million dollars sitting on
the corner of Mississippi and President streets in
Jackson, but no one could possibly steal it.

(NEWS STORY PHOTO IMAGE OF PENNIES)
http://media.commercialappeal.com/mc...2/06/7abortion

.j
peg

That's because the cash is in the form of pennies --
50 million of them -- that collectively weigh 156 tons.

The coins, which fill a glass house outside of the
Mississippi Baptist Convention building, provide a
visual reminder of the number of abortions performed
in the United States since the Roe vs. Wade
decision in 1973.

"We just needed something to memorialize and help
people see the magnitude of abortion over the last
several decades," said Rev. Jimmy Porter, executive
director of the Mississippi Baptist Convention's
Christian Action Commission.

Called the "Memorial to the Missing," the penny-filled
structure is a project of the Mississippi Baptist
Convention, which set out more than two years ago to
collect one penny for each child who would have been
born were it not for legal abortion.

Now that the convention reached its goal of collecting
50 million pennies, it plans to invest the money in a
fund dedicated to anti-abortion causes.

"I think it's been real effective," said Rev. Clarence
Cooper, who was president of the convention when the
memorial was erected on Mother's Day weekend in 2006,
"especially to those who have taken the time to read
the large plaque that is there."

The plaque says the coins not only represent aborted
babies but "the difficult process of decision-making,
fear and loneliness" involved with abortion. It asks
passersby to "stop, pray, consider what we are doing
as a nation, ask God to forgive us, seek ways to help
those who are struggling with the decision and look
to the Lord to restore each of us."

Convention spokesman William Perkins said people often
stop at the container to pray and insert their own
coins into the structure's penny slot.

"There are a number of stories we've heard about
grandparents who walk by and saw it and read the
plaque and dug in their pockets and put pennies in
the memorial for grandchildren who have been aborted,"
he said. "It's been an interesting couple of years."

Meanwhile, continued contributions can be made to
the Mississippi Baptist Christian Action Commission.

Removing the pennies from the container will be no
easy feat.

"It will be interesting to see how that's done,"
Perkins said. "There's no clear-cut way to do that."

The coins are piled 6 feet deep in the 13-by-7 glass
house. The structure weighs more than 300,000 pounds,
or the equivalent of 100 sedans stacked on top of
each other.

The container is made of steel and bulletproof glass
and is reinforced by five concrete pilings buried 14
feet into the ground. The first batch of 20 million
pennies were poured into the container when the
memorial was dedicated in 2006.

Members of the state's 2,100 Mississippi Baptist
Convention-affiliated churches contributed most of
the coins that fill the glass house.

more control freak hate propoganda. roe vs wade is the law to keep women
safe
and healthy. the no choicers give the u.s a black eye overseas.

Maybe you should do more research. A lot of women are damaged physically,
and some die of complications. Hardly safe and healthy. The emotional scars
are just as bad. Ask any woman thats had an abortion.
www.focusonthefamily.com will have lots of stats if you genuinely care to do
some honest intelectual study on the subject. If you just want to spout
your hate for the pro life movement, dont bother. Been there done that, got
a tee shirt for ya. What you call control freak propaganda is for saving
lives, and is much more based in facts than what you wish to think.

i know that side. i'm all for safety but don't use it as an excuse to outlaw
all abortions. i beleive women have the right to decide. individually. i want
them full access to ALL information and factors equally to alloe them an
intelligent choice.
i know this isn't a perfect world but i hate draconian laws.
Old December 7th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Arizona Coin Collector" wrote:

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
news

FROM:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...p-to-abortion-
message/

(NEWS STORY PHOTO IMAGE OF PENNIES)
http://media.commercialappeal.com/mc...2/06/7abortion

.jp
eg

How long would it take for an individual to check that lot for rarities
and varieties?
--
Roger Hunt

Hello

I was thinking how many "wheat pennies" would be in that
mass of coins? What is the possibility of any 1974
aluminum pennies in that mass of coins? I would exchange
a dollars worth of pennies for any of these coins.

I wonder if they took the time to check out ever penny before
placing them in this structure?

aluminum? zero chance.
Old December 7th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Isti Mirant Stella

Sunday, December 7, 2008

[...]

Me, too. Brian's list of "consequences" of abortion could just as easily
apply to women who have given birth against their will. I do not question
the data cited by Focus on the Family, but they leave out a number of
pertinent data, which I will cite if this thread goes on too much longer.
In any event, I have yet to meet anyone who is "pro" abortion. Brian isn't,
you are not, I am not. It is extremely unlikely that even those women who
have had one or more are "pro", especially as it applies to others.

Old December 8th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Isti Mirant Stella" wrote:

Sunday, December 7, 2008

[...]

yep, i'm pro informed decision. i certainly don't have much use for some
countrie's ideas. (hey china....wtf?)
i also believe we need more intelligent birth control. but too often religion
gets in and the ruins everything by adding emotionalism. there are too many
rats in the cage and we have to face it. as americans especially.
"population explosion, def: an even that started 20 years ago that everyone
says will happen in 20 years."
-john brunner, 1969.
you discuss intelligently. got a sister? (g)
Old December 8th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aladdin Sane

"Brian Oakley" wrote in message

Maybe you should do more research. A lot of women are damaged physically,
and some die of complications. Hardly safe and healthy. The emotional
scars are just as bad. Ask any woman thats had an abortion.
www.focusonthefamily.com will have lots of stats if you genuinely care to
do some honest intelectual study on the subject. If you just want to
spout your hate for the pro life movement, dont bother. Been there done
that, got a tee shirt for ya. What you call control freak propaganda is
for saving lives, and is much more based in facts than what you wish to
think.

Spoken like a true believer, who, once the child is born, will abandon it to
poverty, cut medical and hunger funds, and blame the child for the "sins" of
the parents. Why are republicans so keen to get government out of the
public realm of banks and stocks and into the private realm of bedrooms?

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old December 8th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Isti Mirant Stella

Aladdin Sane wrote:
[...]

What Focus on the Family fails to point out is that the majority of
abortions are performed on young, unwed mothers (read welfare recipients),
and the majority of those are black and brown people. Some 48 million
abortions have been performed since Roe. Had those fetuses been carried to
term, the population of the U.S. would be 48 million greater than it
actually is today. Oh wait, I forgot to add in the offspring of the first
fifteen years or so of those, which would likely increase the total to well
over 65 million, even by conservative guesses, and the unaborted fetuses of
1973 could well be grandparents by now. Yes, agreed, abortion is an ugly
thing, but from a pragmatic point of view, what infrastructure has been put
in place, financially supported at least partially by the pro-life
contingent, that could deal with that magnitude of an increase in
population, again mostly on welfare? For example, does Focus on the Family
take any substantial number of these unwanted children under its wing and
nurture them through to adulthood, thereby giving them at least a minimal
chance at the pursuit of happiness? If it can be shown that an adequate
infrastructure is already in place, then the argument of the pro-life
contingent gains respectability. Brian?

Old December 8th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Aladdin Sane" wrote:
[...]

thnaks, best laugh in a tough day.
you certainly hit the hammer on the nail, or whatever.
Old December 8th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_10_]

On Dec 7, 4:08*pm, "Brian Oakley" wrote:

What you call control freak propaganda is for saving
lives,

Bombing abortion clinics saves lives?
Old December 8th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , PC wrote:
On Dec 7, 4:08=A0pm, "Brian Oakley" wrote:

What you call control freak propaganda is for saving
lives,

Bombing abortion clinics saves lives?

we have to destroy this village to save this village.