CAC - Boondoggle or valuable service???

Old July 3rd 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

Default CAC - Boondoggle or valuable service???

How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?
Old July 3rd 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

An interesting letter to the editor of Numinews states that if the TPGs need
a FPG, how trustworthy are they in the first place? Good question. Some of
the coins I've seen with the sticker weren't anything to write to Aunt Sadie
about. If they let ME wield the stickers, there'd be very few wielded.

James

Old July 3rd 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Jul 3, 5:02*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"Voltronicus" wrote in message

How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

An interesting letter to the editor of Numinews states that if the TPGs need
a FPG, how trustworthy are they in the first place? *Good question. *Some of
the coins I've seen with the sticker weren't anything to write to Aunt Sadie
about. *If they let ME wield the stickers, there'd be very few wielded.

The major TPGs provide a valuable service in authenticating coins.
They dropped the ball with market grading though.

Old July 3rd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 5:02 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"Voltronicus" wrote in message

How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

An interesting letter to the editor of Numinews states that if the TPGs
need
a FPG, how trustworthy are they in the first place? Good question. Some of
the coins I've seen with the sticker weren't anything to write to Aunt
Sadie
about. If they let ME wield the stickers, there'd be very few wielded.

The major TPGs provide a valuable service in authenticating coins.
They dropped the ball with market grading though.

--------------------------------------

I heartily second that thought. In fact, I have actually posted that
thought myself a time or three.

James

Old July 4th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:02:33 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

An interesting letter to the editor of Numinews states that if the TPGs need
a FPG, how trustworthy are they in the first place? Good question. Some of
the coins I've seen with the sticker weren't anything to write to Aunt Sadie
about. If they let ME wield the stickers, there'd be very few wielded.

Has there been any counterfeiting of the CAC stickers? Probably not
worth the trouble I guess until it is proven the sticker results in a
higher sale price, but I am just curious.

Is there a CAC validation # to look up?
Old July 4th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

An interesting letter to the editor of Numinews states that if the TPGs
need a FPG, how trustworthy are they in the first place? Good question.
Some of the coins I've seen with the sticker weren't anything to write to
Aunt Sadie about. If they let ME wield the stickers, there'd be very few
wielded.

James

I recently won three classic silver commem halves from an internet auction.
All three were in today's mail. They are all excellent for the grade, imo.
Each has a CAC sticker on it and that was never mentioned in the auction
(unless I missed it), although I had guessed it would be there from what I
could see in the auction image ( I could not make out the letters but
thought it was CAC from the shape). I won two of the three for decently
under greysheet bid, even after factoring buyer's 15% fee and registered
mail shipping costs. The third coin I paid just above greysheet, after
factoring the juice and shipping. I don't feel that I paid anything extra
for the CAC sticker, which is the only way I would want it. I would never
knowingly bid or pay extra because of the sticker. However, when the day
comes to sell I want sale proceeds to reflect the sticker. 8)

Bill

Old July 4th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

I've been hearing rumblings that the big two are taking CAC very seriously.
And going by the complaints(including mine) about tight grading at NGC
lately,it may be true.

Old July 4th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Jon Purkey" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:02:33 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Voltronicus" wrote in message
How long before someone else comes along to rate the CAC stickers?

An interesting letter to the editor of Numinews states that if the TPGs
need
a FPG, how trustworthy are they in the first place? Good question. Some
of
the coins I've seen with the sticker weren't anything to write to Aunt
Sadie
about. If they let ME wield the stickers, there'd be very few wielded.

Has there been any counterfeiting of the CAC stickers? Probably not
worth the trouble I guess until it is proven the sticker results in a
higher sale price, but I am just curious.

I've heard plenty of macho statements of the type "I wouldn't pay a cent
extra for a slab with a CAC sticker" but how would anyone know, other than
to have access to "before" and "after" prices, which is mightily unlikely?

James

Old July 4th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Jul 4, 12:09*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I've heard plenty of macho statements of the type "I wouldn't pay a cent
extra for a slab with a CAC sticker" but how would anyone know, other than
to have access to "before" and "after" prices, which is mightily unlikely?

Well, let me say that a CAC sticker is not a selling point for me.
I don't know if CAC even rates coins from ICCS, which is the main TPG
I use/seek.
I buy the coin, not the slab, whether CAC "approved" or not.
CAC is yet another example of hucksterism polluting numismatics.
Old July 4th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Jul 4, 9:30*am, Voltronicus wrote:
On Jul 4, 12:09*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I've heard plenty of macho statements of the type "I wouldn't pay a cent
extra for a slab with a CAC sticker" but how would anyone know, other than
to have access to "before" and "after" prices, which is mightily unlikely?

Well, let me say that a CAC sticker is not a selling point for me.
I don't know if CAC even rates coins from ICCS, which is the main TPG
I use/seek.
I buy the coin, not the slab, whether CAC "approved" or not.
CAC is yet another example of hucksterism polluting numismatics.

Well,well, "Voltronicus," aka RF or Robert Finnan, the "RF" nom de
plume too sullied for you now?

Anyway, I digress.

From what I've seen at shows and from speaking to major dealers, THe
CAC sticker is helping items sell that might otherwise languish in a
relatively flat market.

Bill Krummel wrote that he paid under Graysheet for some classsic
commems with the sticker in place, but it should be known that in the
present market, most classic commems are selling for discounts off
Graysheet bid (except for really scarce ones).

In the rare coin Type market, they seem to bring a premium over non-
stickered coins, sometimes a significant premium. Yet, overall, I'd
say from personal experience that the CAC sticker will facilitate a
sale that might not occur otherwise.

Ira

New Coin Grading Service: Universal Grading Service LLC FUBAR Coins 1 March 17th 06 09:34 PM
Which is more valuable? Earl Bollinger Coins 3 June 15th 04 10:51 PM
Are these valuable? D Worldwide Stamps 1 November 13th 03 05:59 AM
New RSFPC Service: Member biography service launched. Avery A. Hise Pens & Pencils 0 October 14th 03 03:46 AM