Will any more Dollar Coin supporters come forward?

Old December 1st 03, 11:00 PM
Joe Fischer

"Fred Shecter" wrote:

About a billion SBAs and a billion GDs were passed through the banks/armored carriers to
businesses and people. Most of the millions that remain in the banking system (banks and
Federal Reserve) are circulated. One reason they don't need to keep minting billions
every year is that they just don't wear out (at least they don't until 30 years of wear
and tear has worn them down). Rag dollars wear out fast and have to be replaced (as fast
as rolls of TP at a chili cook-off).
;-)

Do you remember how many times you have harped about
the dollar bill being refused by change machines?

For the first time I tried to use dollar coins at the Kroger
computer checkout, a SBA went ok, a SAC ok, then the next SAC
was a little brown and was rejected.
I tried 3 more times and it fell through each time.

I tried another SAC and it worked ok, so I tried the
bad SAC and it was rejected twice more.
So I used another SAC and it worked ok.

I tried the bad one again and it was refused, so
I had to use small change for the remaining 44 cents.

I will weigh it when my back gets to feeling better,
and maybe I can make other tests if I knew what to test.

Joe Fischer

Old December 2nd 03, 03:48 AM
Fred Shecter

I have had brand new SBAs drop through the machine. I buffed them on my shirt and then
they were accepted. Perhaps something on the surface or a teeny burr? In your case the
machine could be set too sensitive and the crud on the surface of the coin could be
enough to cause it to register beyond the acceptable limits. That should not happen
unless there is chewing gum or even nail polish on the surface. Regular surface
corrosion should not cause rejection. Severe corrosion could. I've had quarters that
look like they were hooked up to a car battery and buried....

--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:

To reply by e-mail, remove zorch two places.

Old December 4th 03, 04:45 PM
Barney

Bruce Remick wrote in :

Well, since the Morgan dollar was used in commerce to some extent for
over 80 years, and the SBA has largely languished in storage vaults
during it's brief existance, I would question Mr. Benfield's claim.
Vending machines have no bearing on the question of either coin's "use".

Vending machines has almost everything to do with the use of the new
smaller dollar sized coin. With just the postal machines across the
country using SBAs, there is more usage of that coin in one week than there
was the use of that Morgan dollar in one year maybe even more.

Don't forget about the vending equipment that use the SBA sized dollar
coins at the NY Subway, not to mention many of the newer Coke machines that
use dollar coins as change.

I would bet that one year's use (and maybe even less time) of todays dollar
coin is more than the TOTAL usage of the Morgan dollar in it's 80 year run.

Barney
Old December 4th 03, 06:32 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Barney wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote in

:

[...]

I would suspect that the Morgan dollar enjoyed more nationwide usage
than today's modern small dollar coins. The new coins are little more
than tokens, used in some coin operated machines but not in general
commerce. They are little more than novelties to the average spender.
While certain machines will accept the dollar coins, few people have
ready access to these coins unless they make a concious effort to seek
them out at a bank. Meanwhile, many machines that accept dollar coins
also accept dollar bills, or if not, there is usually a dollar bill
change machine nearby. Forcing uses for the dollar coins will not make
them acceptible. People will decide for themselves, and not enough
choose to use dollar coins to make them cost effective.

My humble opinions. Although I was alive when Morgan/Peace dollars were
available to spend, I can't recall ever seeing anyone carry any in
pocket change. People still favored the paper bill. I can't speak for
how the silver dollars were used during the period when they were being
minted, but I would guess they were used more readily in certain areas
of the country, and very little in others.

I don't ever recall them being used as pocket change either. But I remember
spending quite a few of them. When I was a kid in teh early 1950's, every
year my father would go to New York City for a bowling torunament and, when
he returned, he would always give each of his 6 kids a silver dollar. That
was a lot of money back then for a 10 year old kid. And, of course, we made
a beeline for the local candy store.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Dating Coins from the reverse:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...erse_Dated.htm

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm

Large and Small Date Lincolns:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...mall_Dates.htm

Viewing the 3's on Lincolns
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Comparison3's.htm
RCC FAQ:
http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/faq2.html

Old December 4th 03, 08:18 PM
Joe Fischer

On Thu, Barney wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote in :
Well, since the Morgan dollar was used in commerce to some extent for
over 80 years, and the SBA has largely languished in storage vaults
during it's brief existance, I would question Mr. Benfield's claim.
Vending machines have no bearing on the question of either coin's "use".

Vending machines has almost everything to do with the use of the new
smaller dollar sized coin. With just the postal machines across the
country using SBAs, there is more usage of that coin in one week than there
was the use of that Morgan dollar in one year maybe even more.

When the SBA was first released, it circulated widely,
and vending machines had little effect because the changers
were not upgraded yet.

Don't forget about the vending equipment that use the SBA sized dollar
coins at the NY Subway, not to mention many of the newer Coke machines that
use dollar coins as change.

I would bet that one year's use (and maybe even less time) of todays dollar
coin is more than the TOTAL usage of the Morgan dollar in it's 80 year run.
Barney

In numbers maybe, but during the period when most paper
notes were bank notes, the Silver Dollar was in heavy use.

Joe Fischer

Old December 4th 03, 08:33 PM
Edward McGrath

Still looking for a vending machine that takes dollar coins. Ed in NJ.

Old December 4th 03, 11:59 PM
Barney

"Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote in
:

When I was a kid in teh early 1950's, every
year my father would go to New York City for a bowling torunament and,
when he returned, he would always give each of his 6 kids a silver
dollar. That was a lot of money back then for a 10 year old kid.
And, of course, we made a beeline for the local candy store.

That was a lot of money even for a kid according to the ET inflation chart.
$1 in 1952 is $6.93 in 2003. $7 in a candy store today could buy a lot of
really cheap candy or even some nice candy.

Barney