Ugly Liberty's

Old August 7th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

Default Ugly Liberty's

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 09:46:20 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 05:53:41 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

wrote in message

Well, on a serious note, I vaguely recall reading recently about
a US coin in maybe around 1910 or so, which was changed due that
point. In the first year, Liberty was having a Janet Jackson
style "wardrobe malfunction." But subsequent years had her
clothes pulled up slightly, to protect her modesty. And to
protect the delicate eyes of the American public.

You are thinking of the Standing Liberty Quarter of 1916-1917, which was
modified during 1917 as you suggested. However, it has generally become
accepted that the story of public outcry over the design is mythology.

Then, why was it changed?

I would encourage you to read for yourself the discussion of this topic in
J. H. Cline's book Standing Liberty Quarters, now in its fourth edition. As
I read it, there was indeed private objection to the exposure of Liberty's
breast, mainly by the wives of legislators to those legislators, as well as
every possible public objection to the design EXCEPT that of the nudity, no
doubt in an effort to disguise prudery. If there existed a body of
editorials, letters to editors, and Congressional orations apropos the
topic, I am confident that author Cline would have cited it. We have to
remember that this all transpired before the coming of electronic media, and
the situation would likely be far different today.

James

IIRC, the change was primarily related to our increasing participation
in World War 1. Chain Mail to cover the exposed breast.
Aram.
Old August 7th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 05:36:48 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
. ..
This is a continuation of a discussion of Saints, Draped Busts,
Morgans, beautiful Liberty's, ugly Liberty's, and coin aesthetics.

Here's a page of mine that I believe I pointed out here a while back
that discusses some of this:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/reidgo...ts/beauty.html

The ugliest of all Liberty faces: Matron Head cent of 1816 to 1836.

Give her a break, Reid, she might have already been the mother of 17,
three
still suckling, when she posed for that portrait. 8) The face on the
chain cent is no Cosmo girl, either, but I'll still take as many as I can
get my hands on.

Most beautiful: Draped Bust dollar of 1795 to 1804. Agree? Disagree?

She's definitely a babe, the lucky William Bingham's wife. We're not
supposed to be coveting her or lusting after her, but I do anyway.

Do you think it might have to do with her maiden name, "Willing?"

I had heard that after she married Bingham, she wasn't Willing anymore.

James

Old August 7th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 19:22:16 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message

Do you think it might have to do with her maiden name, "Willing?"

I had heard that after she married Bingham, she wasn't Willing anymore.

Some things never change...

(er,...just kidding of course...)

Old August 7th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:57:48 -0700, Aram H. Haroutunian
wrote:

Do you think it might have to do with her maiden name, "Willing?"

Draped Bust coins are infinitely fascinating. But the problem with
Anne Willing Bingham is that she just "flipped it out." Both actually.
Not completely out, but fairly far out, judging from these coins. How
about a little decorum, hmmmm? She has them out there, in your face.

Just like the model on that banknote pointed out here, except there we
see one, not two, but the entirety of it, and it's even being used as
it was designed, believe it or not, to nurse a baby. Right on a piece
of money, far more public, or PUBLIC, than in Grand Central Station or
any other public, or PUBLIC, place.

Actually, the evidence suggests human breasts were designed, by
evolution, for dual purposes, but discussing this I'm afraid would
make the priggish who speak in tongues among us have a virtual
conniption.

All this assumes it was Anne Willing Bingham who posed as the Draped
Bust Liberty. I believe it was she, from the circumstantial evidence,
but this hasn't been proven conclusively as a result of the absence of
contemporaneous documentary evidence one way or another.

All told, fine looking coins...

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old August 7th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 00:57:07 -0400, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

Just like the model on that banknote pointed out here, except there we
see one, not two, but the entirety of it, and it's even being used as
it was designed, believe it or not, to nurse a baby. Right on a piece
of money, far more public, or PUBLIC, than in Grand Central Station or
any other public, or PUBLIC, place.

Clarification for the nitpickers: I at least don't know that the image
on that Romanian banknote resulted from a model posing. Could have
been representative or conjured up. Those wild and crazy Eastern
Europeans.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Help with Morgan die anomaly. Liberty's eyeball? Cliff Lawless Coins 1 August 19th 06 04:32 PM
Seriously ugly. note.boy Coins 7 April 9th 06 04:10 PM
Is it the scuff on Liberty's chin? Larry Louks Coins 2 May 13th 05 08:05 PM
one of the few ugly au-58s I have run across Bob Peterson Coins 6 April 5th 05 11:10 AM
Walking Liberty Halves - Liberty's Left Hand High Plains Writer Coins 19 August 8th 03 03:13 AM