A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Books
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Adventures in book collecting

Old January 12th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Adventures in book collecting

There's a mystery series I like, by an author named R.D. Wingfield. Jack Frost is a detective inspector in Denton, England in just half a dozen novels which never saw hardcover publication in the U.S. I have been assembling these over time, and just need two more to complete the series.

Checking Amazon listings, I saw what looked like a nice copy of NIGHT FROST at a pretty good price. (I shall not name the seller.) I ordered the book, and a few days later received a parcel containing the book club edition, printed later to capitalize on a successful television presentation starring David Jason as the title character. I e-mailed the seller, explained that what I got was not what had been advertised, and asked to return the book for a refund.

First the seller insisted it was the correct item, based on the SKU listing.. I photocopied the SKU off the back of my copy, and wrote back, explaining again that what I had received was the correct *title*, but not the publisher's edition.

The seller responded: "We try very hard to avoid returns and all the costs involved in shipping out, shipping back and the restocking cost. In an effort to simplify all that, may I offer you a 20% discount to simply keep this book as delivered? I hope you find this a good solution."

I wrote again: "No, that is not acceptable. This is not the book you claimed to be selling, and I do not want it, discounted or not; I want my money back." Their reply: "Sorry for the inconvenience. How about if I offer you a 50% refund to simply keep this copy as delivered and to avoid hassle in returning this copy please?"

I felt I had to put my reply in (mostly) single-syllable words:
"Every time I have written, I have asked you to take this book back, and
return my money. What part of this am I not making clear?
- I do not want this book. It is the wrong item, and no refund/discount will
make it the right one.
- I want all my money back, including the postage.
- I expect your company to pay the cost of my returning this book, as Amazon
would do for a defective item."

Apparently, this outfit's staff has been instructed to do *anything* rather than accept a return... "Sorry for any problems. I have posted the refund to your account. Please know that the refund has been posted by us, but it may take a few days to show up on your credit card. No need to return it back."

I'll find a friend who hasn't read this book. The search continues...

Ads
Old January 21st 14, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 1/12/2014 1:37 PM, wrote:
There's a mystery series I like, by an author named R.D. Wingfield. Jack Frost is a detective inspector in Denton, England in just half a dozen novels which never saw hardcover publication in the U.S. I have been assembling these over time, and just need two more to complete the series.

Checking Amazon listings, I saw what looked like a nice copy of NIGHT FROST at a pretty good price. (I shall not name the seller.) I ordered the book, and a few days later received a parcel containing the book club edition, printed later to capitalize on a successful television presentation starring David Jason as the title character. I e-mailed the seller, explained that what I got was not what had been advertised, and asked to return the book for a refund.

First the seller insisted it was the correct item, based on the SKU listing. I photocopied the SKU off the back of my copy, and wrote back, explaining again that what I had received was the correct *title*, but not the publisher's edition.

The seller responded: "We try very hard to avoid returns and all the costs involved in shipping out, shipping back and the restocking cost. In an effort to simplify all that, may I offer you a 20% discount to simply keep this book as delivered? I hope you find this a good solution."

I wrote again: "No, that is not acceptable. This is not the book you claimed to be selling, and I do not want it, discounted or not; I want my money back." Their reply: "Sorry for the inconvenience. How about if I offer you a 50% refund to simply keep this copy as delivered and to avoid hassle in returning this copy please?"

I felt I had to put my reply in (mostly) single-syllable words:
"Every time I have written, I have asked you to take this book back, and
return my money. What part of this am I not making clear?
- I do not want this book. It is the wrong item, and no refund/discount will
make it the right one.
- I want all my money back, including the postage.
- I expect your company to pay the cost of my returning this book, as Amazon
would do for a defective item."

Apparently, this outfit's staff has been instructed to do *anything* rather than accept a return... "Sorry for any problems. I have posted the refund to your account. Please know that the refund has been posted by us, but it may take a few days to show up on your credit card. No need to return it back."

I'll find a friend who hasn't read this book. The search continues...

I must admit that I have not (knowingly) come across any of Wingfield's
books. They seem to be fairly scarce.

Francis A. Miniter

Old January 25th 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:09:50 PM UTC-5, Francis A. Miniter wrote:

I must admit that I have not (knowingly) come across any of Wingfield's
books. They seem to be fairly scarce.

In hardcover, yes. As you probably know, British genre fiction is generally printed in very small runs nowadays, and many of those go straight to libraries. However (and I know you like mysteries), it shouldn't be that hard to find the U.S. paperback versions.
Old January 27th 14, 01:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:54:17 PM UTC-5, Francis A. Miniter wrote:

Alas, I will have to untrain myself to ignore paperbacks. Well, I
suppose I do look for really old paperbacks. Now, I will look for
Wingfield as well. Thank you.

You could always try one from the library, to see how you like Jack Frost; of course, those will be paperbacks...