Book Value?

Old November 1st 13, 10:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Book Value?

I have a number of art books that I would like to attempt to sell. Can anyone tell me the best way to determine the current value? Some are signed first editions and others have tipped in colour plates.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
Old November 2nd 13, 05:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Delusional bookseller prices: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

What the market bears: http://www.ebay.com

Old November 2nd 13, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:31:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Delusional bookseller prices: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

What the market bears: http://www.ebay.com

Amusingly oversimplified. You can, in fact, find very good prices by reading ABEbooks carefully, and you will find outlandish figures at eBay. It's not easy to tell if a given book sells via ABE, but you *can* put an item into your watch list at eBay, and see how the seller made out.

Old November 3rd 13, 04:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Robert James

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:36:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:31:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Delusional bookseller prices: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

What the market bears: http://www.ebay.com

Amusingly oversimplified. You can, in fact, find very good prices by reading ABEbooks carefully, and you will find outlandish figures at eBay.

Thanks for the replies and the links. I will give them a try after I learn what the specific "condition" descriptors really mean.

Rob.
Old November 3rd 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:36:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Amusingly oversimplified. You can, in fact, find very good prices by reading ABEbooks carefully, and you will find outlandish figures at eBay. It's not easy to tell if a given book sells via ABE, but you *can* put an item into your watch list at eBay, and see how the seller made out.

Well yes. I was going to favor Mr James with an extended essay ** on the dead hobby of book collecting in the dead medium of usenet, but as usual went for the cheap laughs instead.

I use ABE solely as a reference to determine whether a particular book or edition is scarce or might be valuable for other reasons. I have neither the time nor inclination to sort through 100s of individual listings and dealers to determine which of them are insane and which pricing their items rationally. Based on his posting I suspect Mr James of the same lassitude.

On ebay you can sort searches by completed listings and sold items. There's no need to resort to a watch list.

** With footnotes
Old November 9th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Tom Swift Home Page

wrote in message ...

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 5:36:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Amusingly oversimplified. You can, in fact, find very good prices by reading
ABEbooks carefully, and you will find outlandish figures at eBay. It's not
easy to tell if a given book sells via ABE, but you *can* put an item into
your watch list at eBay, and see how the seller made out.

Well yes. I was going to favor Mr James with an extended essay ** on the dead
hobby of book collecting in the dead medium of usenet, but as usual went for
the cheap laughs instead.

The used book business was fundamentally changed with the advent of wide
Internet use and, of course, eBay.
Gone are the days of the misanthropic crotchety old book dealer demanding
exorbitant prices for his not-so-rare book.
Used book shop dropped like flies over the last 15-20 years.
I miss browsing thru them but I like the low prices on the net more.

Old November 23rd 13, 07:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
weary flake

"Tom Swift Home Page" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Low prices aren't caused by closing of bookstores but the
opposite, by reducing competition: it is trivial to find a
used unloved book in a bookstore cheaper than on the internet.
The internet means I buy books that I wouldn't have bought
before because I didn't know they existed or were available.
Old November 24th 13, 01:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Tom Swift Home Page

"weary flake" wrote in message

Low prices aren't caused by closing of bookstores but the

opposite, by reducing competition: it is trivial to find a
used unloved book in a bookstore cheaper than on the internet.
The internet means I buy books that I wouldn't have bought
before because I didn't know they existed or were available.

I never claimed that low prices are caused by closing bookstores.
I stated the opposite: that brick and mortar bookstores are closing because of
low prices on the internet.