Scott Stamp Monthly -- Ireland overprint "gauge"

Old February 22nd 04, 09:06 PM
Bob Ingraham

Default Scott Stamp Monthly -- Ireland overprint "gauge"

I recall reading an article in a fairly recent Scott Stamp Monthly about an
acetate overlay that would help to identify the early Ireland provisional
overprints. IIRC, it was being offered for sale by an Irish philatelic
society. I even recall that the article was on an inside left page, toward
the top, and in the first few pages. Does anyone know anything about this?
Or would they be willing to browse through their recent Scott Stamp
Monthlies?

Thanks,

Bob Ingraham

--------
Bernard Lalor, a lonely Irish schoolboy, wrote home from boarding school in
1890 to seek advice following the purchase ill-fitting boots sold to him
from the "gentleman in Clearys." See his letter and its cover at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/dublin.html.
--------

Old February 23rd 04, 10:31 AM
JerryB

Bob Ingraham wrote in message ...
I recall reading an article in a fairly recent Scott Stamp Monthly about an
acetate overlay that would help to identify the early Ireland provisional
overprints. IIRC, it was being offered for sale by an Irish philatelic
society. I even recall that the article was on an inside left page, toward
the top, and in the first few pages. Does anyone know anything about this?
Or would they be willing to browse through their recent Scott Stamp
Monthlies?

Thanks,

Bob Ingraham

--------
Bernard Lalor, a lonely Irish schoolboy, wrote home from boarding school in
1890 to seek advice following the purchase ill-fitting boots sold to him
from the "gentleman in Clearys." See his letter and its cover at
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/dublin.html.
--------

Hi Bob,

I do some cataloging for a friend of mine and I am currently working
on an Ireland collection in which there are a lot of the overprint
issues. I believe I am using the acetate overlay you describe.

The overlay comes inside a small booklet. The booklet contains a
chart with Scott and Stanley Gibbons numbers and a write up on how to
distinguish the different types of overprint.

It takes a little bit of effort to coordinate the overlay results with
the Scott catalog numbers. I also find that using the overlay with a
magnifier works well (unless you have great eye-sight). I find that
this is the best way to see if the overlay overprint "fits" exactly.
Some overlays are pretty close in size to each other.

Here is the information for the overlay:

Ireland
Identification of the Rialtar and Saorstat Overprints
Published by the Eire Philatelic Association

I am sure you can contact them to get a copy of the publication.
Hope that this helps.
Jerry B
Old February 23rd 04, 04:03 PM
Bob Ingraham

2/23/2004 1:31 AM

Bob Ingraham wrote in message
I recall reading an article in a fairly recent Scott Stamp Monthly about an
acetate overlay that would help to identify the early Ireland provisional
overprints.

SNIP

[...]

Thanks, Jerry. That sounds exactly like the item in question.

Bob

Old February 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
RRoyPERFIN

Bob - the booklet mentioned Identification of the Rialtar and Saorstat
Overprints Published by the Eire Philatelic Association is offered by the EPA
on their website - link at the APS website - www.stamps.org

Rudy

Old February 23rd 04, 06:48 PM
TC

On 23 Feb 2004 01:31:03 -0800,
(JerryB) wrote:

[...]

Éire Philatelic Association
http://home.att.net/~aranman/epa1.html

PUBLICATIONS:
http://home.att.net/~aranman/Publicat.html
(These items may be ordered from
Timothy O'Shea, 58 Porter St., Granby, MA 01033-9516)

includes:
Ireland, Identification of the Rialtas and Saorstat Overprints
by Joseph E. Foley

Blair