Albums for other than US stamps

Old July 5th 11, 11:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Andy Pastuszak

Default Albums for other than US stamps

I have discovered two FREE programs that allow you to print your own album pages out. They a

One is Album Easy and can be found he http://www.thestampweb.com/
The other is Stamp Page Creator: http://stamppagetor.sourceforge.net/

I also just discovered a web based solution at: http://stampalbumpro.com/
Old July 6th 11, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/05/2011 05:21 PM, Andy Pastuszak wrote:
I have discovered two FREE programs that allow you to print your own album pages out. They a

One is Album Easy and can be found he http://www.thestampweb.com/
The other is Stamp Page Creator: http://stamppagetor.sourceforge.net/

I also just discovered a web based solution at: http://stampalbumpro.com/

Thanks for the links Andy. They both look good and the best part they
work with Linux. I made a test page at the stampalbumpro site, looked
pretty good though it would have looked better probably using an inkjet
or colored laser instead of a b/w laser printer.

Thanks again
Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 6th 11, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 7/6/2011 7:49 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Color laser, yes, ...

inkjunk ... NO, NO, NO !!!

Question.

Are you showing off your stamps or your printer?

Simple is far better, than ornate.

Inkjet printers are just fine for album pages, especially if your stamps
are in stamp mounts. I have been making album pages this way for over
ten years. Even when using hinges for my used stamps I see no evidence
of print transfer from page to back of stamp, although I try to avoid
any printing inside the stamp frame.

Just a couple precautions:
Use the manufactured recommended print cartridges.
Let the page dry for at least a few minutes before mounting stamps on it.

Bill
Old July 8th 11, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/07/2011 11:08 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Billns found these unused words:

On 7/6/2011 7:49 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Color laser, yes, ...

inkjunk ... NO, NO, NO !!!

Question.

Are you showing off your stamps or your printer?

Simple is far better, than ornate.

Inkjet printers are just fine for album pages, especially if your stamps
are in stamp mounts. I have been making album pages this way for over
ten years. Even when using hinges for my used stamps I see no evidence
of print transfer from page to back of stamp, although I try to avoid
any printing inside the stamp frame.

No fadin of colour? No slight smearing from handling. Hopefully our albums
are less than 50% humidity a many [not all] inkjunk prints will do both and
some even 'run' with high humidity.

Bet the area under the hinge is affected!

Most inkjunk supplies state a 'durability' of 18 months [expose] to 7 years
[covered].

Just a couple precautions:
Use the manufactured recommended print cartridges.
Let the page dry for at least a few minutes before mounting stamps on it.

Could also use water colors ... G!

Why pay for archival paper to put on transient 'ink' ?

There are a few, but very few, 'permanent' inks for certain printers.

When you consider the high cost of ink for an inkjunk [plus the printer's
price] vs the total cost of a colour laser [higher cost for the mechanism],
if you're doing a long term project into the hundreds of 'filled' pages, the
laser wins.

Most have solved the problems of skips, clogs and ink colour variations,
batch to batch, but it's not a guarantee you'll get perfet matches, next
year.

Color PHOTO prints I made on my 1200 dpi colour laser over 7 years ago are
exactly the same as one I made yesterday!

Inkjunks are like Gillette razors - the initial cost is low, but the cost of
'supplies' is high.

As 'Billins' said "try to avoid any printing inside the stamp frame." Don't
'try', avoid like the plague! Your first damaged stamp [a drop of sweat, a
sneeze, damp hands ...] will complete the explanation!

Thanks all for the great advice, while I don't have an "inkjunk" printer
I do have an HP 6L though it's used and was given to me. The only
problem is that something is wrong with the feed roller and if I don't
keep a certain amount of paper in the paper feed it sucks a whole bunch
through. I guess I should go out and look for a new one if I'm going to
produce my own pages.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 8th 11, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

" while I don't have an "inkjunk" printer"

No you seem to have a LaserJunk printer.

Old July 8th 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/07/2011 08:26 PM, rod222 wrote:
" while I don't have an "inkjunk" printer"

No you seem to have a LaserJunk printer.

At least it was free

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 8th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 7/8/2011 8:08 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
found these unused words:

" while I don't have an "inkjunk" printer"

No you seem to have a LaserJunk printer.

At least lasers don't smear, fade and clog!

The only time I experienced ink clogging with an inkjet was when I tried
to use old outdated print cartridges.

My first printer was a dot-matrix printer with typewriter-like ribbon.
Noisy as all get-out, especially when printing graphics.

My second printer was an HP Laser black and white. Excellent but
high-priced.

Since then I've been using inkjet printers, most recently all-in-ones
for scanning and copying too.

Album pages that I made ten years ago with an inkjet printer haven't
faded or smeared. I do keep the pages in closed albums and have not
spilled anything (tears, sweat, or soda) on any of the pages.

I will certainly admit that color inkjet photos fade when exposed to
sunlight or even bright room light. So do postage stamps, although it
takes a lot longer with stamps than with inkjet printouts.

Old July 8th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/08/2011 10:07 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Chris found these unused words:

On 07/07/2011 08:26 PM, rod222 wrote:
" while I don't have an "inkjunk" printer"

No you seem to have a LaserJunk printer.

At least it was free

and worth every penny!

If you want to keep it - there's a Roller Repair Kit:
http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/RollerKits/AX-RK_RollerKit.html

OTOH, if you go to HP Business you can get a refurbished 2055DN
[black/white] for well under $275 or a high end color unit for not much
more.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-3328059-14638-236263-3662052-3662058-3662060.html

The DN is a duplex printer, printing both sides and also 'network'
compatible. It uses the 8 pin 'telephone' plug or connects to a router to
share with several computers.

I've a small net of 6 machines and all access this one printer through
routers.

HP still seems to have their 'trade in' program running.
http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/home_nf.html

This gives you cash for your 6L, they pay for shipping and for my 2055dn, I
saved about $75 more - even though it was a 'refurbished'!

HP's refurbished are units that are used at a show or conference, then
stripped, 100% checked and come with a new toner cartridge.
http://www.hp.com/sbso/buspurchase_refurbished_whybuy.html

Right now there's a 'basic' colour laser {LaserJet Pro CP1525nw} for $210
[price before a $50 instant rebate] and you should get some further savings
if you use the 'trade in' program.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/outlet/printer/1/storefronts/CE875AR%2523BGJ

Oh yes, shipping is also free for over $50 purchased!

HTH !!!

Certainly does, appreciate the links - have to get with the 'boss' on
this though she should go for it since I now spend much less time in
front of the computer now that I'm back into stamps OTH she gets to
watch fewer TV shows that we've recorded on the DVR since they're also
my favorites too.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 9th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Chris[_11_]

On 07/09/2011 09:47 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
[...]

Why would that reduce the number of shows she watches? If you have a modern
'box', you can watch one on one set, she on another - they have dual
outputs!

Ahh, but we only have one TV, I know that sounds so backwards with the
price of TV's, most people probably have one in each room.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Old July 10th 11, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 7/9/2011 7:42 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Did you note the price of the HP colour laser?G

My last two inkjet all-in-ones were both under $100.

As I said, I've had no problems with smearing, clogging, or transfer of
ink from the page to the stamp. No fading either as long as I keep the
pages in a closed album.

I know that toner cartridges are cheaper than inkjet cartridges on a
per-page basis, but my inkjet cartridges (one color, one black and
white) last for at least six months each. It would take quite a while
for me for the total cost for an inkjet to equal that of a laser jet.

I see no reason to "torture test" an inkjet page. I don't want to spill
anything on an album page no matter how it's printed.

Generally speaking I don't put any printing inside the stamp frame on my
own album pages, but I have printed out a few pages downloaded from the
Scott World Wide PDF album that includes stamp images in the frames. I
have not yet seen any ink transfer onto the stamps when they are mounted
with hinges. Of course using stamp mounts instead of hinges avoids the
possible problem completely.

Bill