rookie question on $2 bill

Old September 21st 03, 02:24 AM
Coin Saver

From: advanspec

Does this mean that The * notes will be issued first, beore regular notes

No. When they begin printing the regular Notes, the Star Notes will be used to
replace spoiled Notes printed.

Does this mean that if 1995 stockpiles aren't theoretically "further"

depleted, that 2003 notes will never be issued

This is a "theoretical" possibility, but not probable.

2003 notes ... arent now ready to enter the FRB stream?

That is the case. They started printing the Star Notes in preparation of
printing the normal blocks. There must be quite a number of the 1995's still
in the stockpile, else they'd have started sooner. They don't wait till the
"last minute".

Let's look in on a theoretical day (in the near future) at the Fort Worth
facility of the BEP. The stockpiled reserves of Series 1995 $2 bills have
dipped to below the accepted level. The boss says: "Let's get some $2's
made!", and they begin to print (for example) the B-A block.

The first run (6,400,000 Notes) goes off without a hitch. The BEP Supervisor
writes a report to the Federal Reserve stating the completion of the printing
of run #1, of serial numbers B00000001A to B06400000A, and ships the Notes to
the stockpile warehouse.

The fifth sheet of the second run goes in crooked and makes a mess. The press
jams, ruining 4 other sheets. They stop the press. The Supervisor authorizes
the removal from the vault of 5 sheets of $2 Star Notes, to replace the ruined
Notes. The workers are not allowed to simply "roll back" the Serial Number
counter, and each sequential stack of 100 numbers must contain 100 Notes. The
ruined sheets are shredded, and the replacement notes are inserted.

Now - let's say for example the Supervisor gets a call from the Federal
Reserve, to cease operation of the Series 2003 $2 Notes - there's a new
Treasurer as of a week ago, and they will now have to make them a Series
2003-A, effective immediately, with the new plates which just arrived. The
supervisor does not 'recall' the Notes already shipped to stockpile, and ships
out all those "regular notes" already printed, then prepares to begin on Series
2003-A.

What becomes of the already-printed Star Notes? One of three things - and all
three have been done during different Series -

One: all the left over Star Notes are simply stacked, cut, and issued; -OR-

Two: the Star Notes are used for the first part of the next Series, so rather
than wasting time printing up 'new' replacement notes, they can go directly
into the regular note production; -OR-

Three: They shred all the left overs.

Which of these three is done depends on things such as politics, budget, and
BEP Director's notion of how to run the BEP.

Does this help? (Remember, this is a theoretical scenario, I am not saying I
was there and witnessed this).

The printing of the Series 2003 I* notes is simply prepatory; and I, for one,
am curious as to the current situation (fate) of any left-over Series 1995 F*
Notes, if any, at the Ft Worth facility. A report on this would, indeed, be
interesting; but since they always maintain Star Notes for replacement Notes
during a printing, I think that any left-over Series 1995 $2 Star Notes fell to
either possibility number One or Three (above).

8-/
Coin Saver
Old September 21st 03, 03:50 AM
John III

From: advanspec

[...]

Do they ever take these * notes and sell them on their web site? Or would
that be against some regulation they have in place? Seems like they could
make some money selling these left overs to the collecting community. I
don't know how much of a premium they would command, but something is better
than nothing. I know I've seen uncut sheets on that HSN TV thing and they
went pretty quickly. No, I didn't purchase any. I watch for the
entertainment value. Kinda like the circus clowns. :-)

John III

Old September 21st 03, 05:16 AM
Coin Saver

From: "John III"

Makin me earn my status quo as a Note Collector today, aren't we ;-)
Seriously, this is exactly what this forum is here for, and as many questions
you got, I either have an answer or will find out.

Let's get to it:

Do they ever take these * notes and sell them on their web site?

Of the three (?) times I'm aware that they had done this with Star Notes, they
had ordered a 'special printing' for the Notes to be sold via the website.
None were $1.

Or would that be against some regulation they have in place?

Taking 'left-overs' may be against some such rule. Those Notes had been
printed for an express purpose, whose final handling by the BEP was to be
released into circulation; could be why the Notes from the website had to come
from a special print order.

Seems like they could make some money selling these left overs to the

collecting community.
"Could" isn't the word; "would" is. But try to remember that the Government is
not as "profit-conscience" as is the private sector.

I don't know how much of a premium they would command, but something is

better than nothing.

True; and they'd never face a loss. They can set the retail at any level they
wish; they set the 12-Note sheet of Series 1995 $2 Star Notes at $200 / sheet.
They could have asked for $50 a sheet and made what you'd think is a "profit",
or $500 / sheet and simply shredded all those that didn't sell.

But, consider this: What happens to "old" money? It's turned in to the Federal
Reserve, for destruction by shredding or burning. It's replaced dollar - for -
dollar by them. The BEP is part of the Treasury Department. So, to them,
shredding money - new bills or old - does not "cost" them anything. It's no
more than one other option. So, the concept of "profit" does not apply to
them.

You say that the BEP could make money selling Notes on their website. I got
news for you: the BEP workers makes money every day. All 7 denominations. As
much as the BEP Director tells them to. You want to pay them multiple Notes
(which they printed up) for one Note (they also printed up). If they wanted
that, why not just print up multiple Notes instead of just the one, in the
first place?

I know. It almost sounds like a paradox: "I'll give you 100 of these two
dollar bills if you give me 12 of those same denomination bills with stars on
them". Why would I do that? "Because someone else might give me 125 of those
two dollar bills for the 12."

Remember - they're only 'special' because we, the collectors, deem them to be
so. To the average Joe, they are only worth $2 apiece. And, to the BEP,
they're just printed matter.

For example, what would happen to the Star Notes from Series 2006 if, in 2005,
all of the Note collectors stopped giving a damn anymore about Star Notes?
What would happen if, all of the sudden, no collector would pay even face value
for them? It wouldn't hurt the BEP; if they were by chance selling overstock,
they'd then just shred the rest and move on.

I know I've seen uncut sheets on that HSN TV thing and they went pretty

quickly.
Heh. Yep, went quickly. According to HSN, that is. Funny thing, after being
"sold out" for two weeks, they suddenly have more, and these are also "no
longer avaliable". Then, again, later on, and so on.

No, I didn't purchase any.

They get theirs the same place you & I do - from the BEP.

I watch for the entertainment value. Kinda like the circus clowns. :-)

I don't waste my time watching HSN, there's better humor on TV.

Finally, I have some advice for you. Go to:
http://www.krause.com/
and look over some of their perodicals. Might I suggest you try a subscription
to "The Bank Note Reporter" and look into getting one of their paper-money
books, too.

8-/

Coin Saver
Old September 21st 03, 05:40 AM
John III

From: "John III"

Makin me earn my status quo as a Note Collector today, aren't we ;-)
Seriously, this is exactly what this forum is here for, and as many

questions
you got, I either have an answer or will find out.

Yes, I'm trying. LOL. And I appreciate it.

Let's get to it:

Do they ever take these * notes and sell them on their web site?

Of the three (?) times I'm aware that they had done this with Star Notes,

they
had ordered a 'special printing' for the Notes to be sold via the website.
None were $1.

This auction here is for some of those $2 * notes. A special set.
Is this the one that went for $200? I wish I would've gotten in on that one.
So do others I suppose.

Or would that be against some regulation they have in place?

Taking 'left-overs' may be against some such rule. Those Notes had been
printed for an express purpose, whose final handling by the BEP was to be
released into circulation; could be why the Notes from the website had to

come
from a special print order.

Seems like they could make some money selling these left overs to the

collecting community.
"Could" isn't the word; "would" is. But try to remember that the

Government is
not as "profit-conscience" as is the private sector.

I agree. Would is a better word. There is no doubt.

[...]

I hear ya. That is so true.

No, I didn't purchase any.

They get theirs the same place you & I do - from the BEP.

I watch for the entertainment value. Kinda like the circus clowns. :-)

I don't waste my time watching HSN, there's better humor on TV.

When I do see it on, I can only tolerate about 5 minutes of it.

Finally, I have some advice for you. Go to:
http://www.krause.com/
and look over some of their perodicals. Might I suggest you try a

subscription
to "The Bank Note Reporter" and look into getting one of their paper-money
books, too.

Thanks, will do.....you can take a rest now.... :-D

John III

8-/

Coin Saver

Old September 21st 03, 08:02 AM
Coin Saver

From: "John III"

"Coin Saver" wrote

The BEP set the 12-Note sheet of Series 1995 $2 Star Notes at $200 / sheet.

Is this the one that went for $200?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3047513036&category=40 029

Thar she blows.
That is a set of the 12 Districts, individually - this was the idea of
collectors for the most part - 1 from each District.

I wish I would've gotten in on that one. So do others I suppose.

Missed opportunites are abundant. Some examples include the 1997-W SAE and the
Glenna Goodacre Presentation Dollars. But know that there are also "flubs".

One example- the 1999 Silver Proof Sets (Mint price about $32) soared to over
$100 each at re-sale after the Mint was sold out. When the 2000 SPS's came
out, everyone 'loaded up' on them. Those, after selling out, dropped in price
to about $20, and that price stayed there until only just recently. So it can
go both ways.

Here's a thought: Soon, we'll be seeing the 'new' colorized $20.oo Notes.
Everyone will be wanting to be the "first kid on the block" to have one. But,
sooner or later, when they become more common, everyone will have them. During
this "earlier" time, however, instead of scrambling for the "new" ones, I'm
going to be on the lookout for the older ones which had a lower printage. It
won't be long before you won't see the small President Engraving Notes floating
around. Now is the time to keep the ole eagle eyes open for low-printage
blocks.

you can take a rest now.. :-D

Thanks. See ya tomorrow.
8-)

Coin Saver
Old September 21st 03, 07:26 PM
Fred Shecter

Others have replied with some info (better than I can provide).

I would imagine they run what they think they need based upon p-revious history. They do
not need to run stars for all districts. Take a look at previous years and previous
denominations as well on that website.

We'll see what else they run in the next month or so....

--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:
"John III" wrote in message
Fred, according to your provided link. It has the letter I as the first
letter of the Serial number. Does that mean that these are printed for only
the Minneapolis district? Also, how do they decide which district to print
them for? Requests from a district? One more question (for now). How do they
know how many of these star notes to print up in advance, experience, lucky
guess? Please remember I am a rookie :-)

Thanks,

John III

"Fred Shecter" wrote in message
Bookmark this link:

http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~dmoffitt/serials/

-Fred Shecter
--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

"ADVANSPEC" wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes

... So does anyone know if these new 2003 Two's are being printed for

all
Districts, or will it be like the '95's & just be a run for 1 district??

Old September 29th 03, 03:57 PM
Vinkjm

To john lll
My email to you have been returned ,
marty
Old September 29th 03, 04:27 PM
Coin Saver

From: vinkjm
To john lll My email to you have been returned

mine too.

8-0

Coin Saver

Tube question for rookie googliemooglie Juke Boxes 1 August 10th 04 11:05 PM
LeBron James GRADED Rookie Cards For Sale GEM MINT 10 - CHEAP, DISCOUNT !! TO-55 Card discussions 2 January 22nd 04 02:05 AM
Estie "Bill Signer" question mz Pens & Pencils 8 October 10th 03 04:38 AM
Currency question Bill Krummel Coins 7 September 14th 03 11:14 PM
FS: 1982 "Bill Cosby Himself" VHS Video Cassette Jim Sinclair General 0 July 9th 03 06:15 AM