A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

Old October 9th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:13:42 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

found these unused words:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:10:50 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Ralphael1 found these unused words:

On Oct 7, 5:34*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:02:00 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien

wrote:
Terry Reedy found these unused words:

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

It is now, as most US areas have laws against smoking, they're 'politically'
motivated, so ... G!

As someone who is suffering the effects of long-ago second-hand smoke
and will for the rest of my life, calling the motivation 'political' is
not so funny to me. *Tobacco and tobacco smoke are full of poisons and
it is 'political' (votes and revenue) that they are not banned.

Terry

The motivation is definitely political - the anti-smoking groups finally got
enough POLITICAL clout to force the actions!

There is nearly nothing that happens without a political overtone, in the US
anyway!

Darn lobbyists, doggone it!- Hide quoted text -

Just in case some people have forgotten, laws are generally passed
because people need to be protected from themselves.

RtOo

Those 'laws' are passed because SOME people think THEY know what's BEST for
the rest ...

I don't need to be 'protected' from myself. I'm an adult and should have the
FREEEDOM to make my own decisions, IF I'm also willing to live with the
consequences of such decisions.

Therein lies the POLTICAL nature of these laws, too many, after they get in
a jam, cry HELP! and expect the rest to come running and fix everything with
a pat and a kiss on the forehead.

The more laws, the less freedom !!!

Yes... and when was the last time George Bush paid you a visit? I
have yet to have politicians knocking, although I have received
political snail mail responses to petitions sent.

They know what's happening in Main Street USA alright. Just not our
respective Main Streets.

Why would I want Bushy, Bambam or McPain to visit me?

They should have work to do, specifically the tasks assigned to them by the
constitution and they should NOT be prying in my personal affairs, life or
whatever!

I don't need them as 'friends', I need them to do the JOB they're PAID to
do!

BTW, when did Hillarity last visit you?

You've missed the point. You stated above that

"I don't need to be 'protected' from myself. I'm an adult and should
have the FREEEDOM to make my own decisions, IF I'm also willing to
live with the consequences of such decisions."

But, since you don't want any input into how the Bushman is governing
your "lot", you don't want anyone knocking on your door polling you
for your decision.

Hmmmm... Sir Rien, how does "want your cake and eat it too" sound?

By the way, they're doing their jobs - just not for you or me. :^)
Old October 10th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:13:26 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

found these unused words:

[...]

???

You wrote .."
Yes... and when was the last time George Bush paid you a visit? "

You stated above that

"I don't need to be 'protected' from myself. I'm an adult and should
have the FREEEDOM to make my own decisions, IF I'm also willing to
live with the consequences of such decisions."

But, since you don't want any input into how the Bushman is governing
your "lot", you don't want anyone knocking on your door polling you
for your decision.

Somebody polling isn't President Bushy -=visiting=- me!

Do understand your own choice of wordings!

Well, I never!

I said nothing about input - my conext is that there's too much of
'protectionist' input being accepted as 'the way to go' and it's NOT a good
sign!

How's your stock of gummint issued diapers ... ?

Lessee... enough to withstand new-kew-lur fallout.

Hmmmm... Sir Rien, how does "want your cake and eat it too" sound?

Like a democrat ...

Well, at least Biden knows how to say nuclear, much unlike the Bush
camp teenster who seems to want to look edumacated but still takes a
cue from the master - new-kew-lur.

By the way, they're doing their jobs - just not for you or me. :^)

No, they're -=exceeding=- their mandates and -=creating=- new 'authorities'
to over see us - Dumbos and 'Pub's alike!

Ahem... we may be on the same page, albeit looking at it from
different ivory towers. :^)

So, the question stands, did they ask us to:

"-=exceeding=- their mandates and -=creating=- new 'authorities' to
over see us - Dumbos and 'Pub's alike!"

No, they didn't. :^P Is this a government for the people, by the
people? Well, not really. Corporation dictates, mandates, lobbies
and PACs!
Old October 10th 08, 07:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

No, they didn't. :^P Is this a government for the people, by the
people? Well, not really. Corporation dictates, mandates, lobbies
and PACs!

Sign on the back of a Septic Tank truck.
Caution: This truck is full of political promises.

Old October 10th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Maybe you should have the right to make your own decision whether or
not to smoke - but you certainly do NOT have the right to make the
decision to exhale your foul poisons into my air-space - and like it
or not that is the only reason why smoking is being proscribed.

I have the choice as to whether I enter your house - where you have
every right to smoke - and given the balance of risk to benefit ( and
especially if we were to talk stamps !!) I probably would - however I
do not have the choice outdoors and in public places - and please
don't go on about other forms of pollution -seperate argument.

I am all in favour of anyone having freedom to do anything provided
that such freedom does not limit someone else's freedom - yes
oversimplification every freedom by definition limits everyone else's
but you get the picture.

Malcolm

Old October 10th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default On Rights. Was: A Politically Incorrect Postage Stamp

"malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

What you write seems consistent to me but I'd like to understand it better.

Let's say that I want to open a restaurant, and I write on the entrance
door: "For Smokers Only". I hire only smoking persons for all the jobs, and
I tell them in advance the reason. This isn't the only one restaurant on the
place, there are many others in the proximity. Will you agree or not that
I'd have the right to open such a restaurant in a free country?

To prevent some misunderstandings, may I mention that:

- because there are enough restaurants around, we cannot speak here about a
real discrimination against the non-smokers
- not all places, even those funded by taxpayers, are accessible to everyone
(like prisons, for example, where one cannot ask to sleep a night, for any
reasons, or like in the Oval Office .
http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/oval-office.html

And BTW, can an owner of a philatelic shop write on the entrance door: "For
Stamp Collectors Only" or will he discriminate this way against the non
stamp collectors?

--
Victor

Old October 10th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:28:22 +0800, "rodney"
wrote:

No, they didn't. :^P Is this a government for the people, by the
people? Well, not really. Corporation dictates, mandates, lobbies
and PACs!

Sign on the back of a Septic Tank truck.
Caution: This truck is full of political promises.

An understatement. :^)
Old October 10th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 23:30:39 -0700 (PDT), malcolm
wrote:

Maybe you should have the right to make your own decision whether or
not to smoke - but you certainly do NOT have the right to make the
decision to exhale your foul poisons into my air-space - and like it
or not that is the only reason why smoking is being proscribed.

I have the choice as to whether I enter your house - where you have
every right to smoke - and given the balance of risk to benefit ( and
especially if we were to talk stamps !!) I probably would - however I
do not have the choice outdoors and in public places - and please
don't go on about other forms of pollution -seperate argument.

I am all in favour of anyone having freedom to do anything provided
that such freedom does not limit someone else's freedom - yes
oversimplification every freedom by definition limits everyone else's
but you get the picture.

It is sad that once you define it, freedom is then less free.

One very weird but VERY serious problem some people face is the intake
of perfume, deodorants or other "smelly nicey" things. There was such
a woman at a place I did some consulting. Talk about walk on tiptoes.

It was a very serious condition and although the in-house staff knew
about it, I wonder how many other people did? I heard she had at
least one "attack" while at work. This was nobody's fault - really -
but how do we know?

With smoking, it goes a lot deeper than that.

Further, smoking around your stamp collection gives them that "smokey"
flavor du jour...
Old October 10th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:59:24 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

BUT, the product is legal, thus its use should not be -=separately=-
regulated.

BUT, it already is with the age limit.
Old October 10th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:52:01 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

found these unused words:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:13:26 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

found these unused words:

[...]

Check, mate!

So, the question stands, did they ask us to:

"-=exceeding=- their mandates and -=creating=- new 'authorities' to
over see us - Dumbos and 'Pub's alike!"

No, they didn't. :^P Is this a government for the people, by the
people? Well, not really. Corporation dictates, mandates, lobbies
and PACs!

Sierra Club, Indians and NAACP aren't 'people'?
What about AAAAAAARRRp! [excuse me]
One of the heaviest lobbies.

I'd rather have an ARP 2600 myself. :^P
Old October 11th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

[...]

By the way, they're doing their jobs - just not for you or me. *:^)- Hide quoted text -

Kudos again Tracy. I totally agree and add the new bunch ain't gonna
do no better either.Ralphael, the OLD one

Incorrect Scott Numbers in 1943 Scott Stamp Album? Kent[_2_] General Discussion 3 June 14th 08 08:13 PM
Merry Xmas [Politically correct version] Xray Coins 4 December 26th 04 06:05 AM
[Fwd: Should your dog be on a postage stamp?] AK47 General Discussion 6 September 3rd 04 12:35 PM
Old Postage Stamp Prices? Randy General Discussion 2 November 10th 03 12:20 AM
Politically correct? LN in DC General Discussion 0 September 21st 03 12:10 PM