Currency question

Old September 14th 03, 05:38 AM
Bill Krummel

Default Currency question

Can the US paper currency shrink? That may be a question deserving of a
"well, duh" answer, but in my life I have never seen an undersized bill.
One time I thought I had a bill that was short but with the right width and
the bank teller straightened me out by straightening the bill out - it had a
couple of creases that actually shortened the bill noticeably. SM ExLax. I
would think that if the US bills can shrink, I would have seen several by
now. Heck, I've even sent currency through the laundry and never noticed
shrinkage.

Tonight, while doing the end of day stuff with the registers, I came across
a US $1 bill that seems proportionally correct, but noticeably smaller than
the other ones. It measures 5.5 inches long by 2.375 inches wide.
Measuring a regular sized $1 bill, I get approximately 6 1/8th by 2 5/8th.
The bill does not look faded and under 16X, I see the little squirrley red
and blue threads, same as a normal sized bill.

So, can US currency shrink? Oversized Bill, aware that inflation causes
the dollar to shrink.

Old September 14th 03, 06:10 AM
MarkR

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I believe they can. I've seen them being sold on eBay. They are
noticeably smaller than a regular bill. I wish I could find a picture of
one, but right I'm tired and my brain wouldn't comprehend me telling it to
search for strange stuff now. I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow if
someone else hasn't helped you more by then. Thanks.

Mark

Old September 14th 03, 06:24 AM
Bob Flaminio

Bill Krummel wrote:
Can the US paper currency shrink?

Sounds like a question for Bert Hickman :-)...

--
Bob

Old September 14th 03, 09:17 AM
Joe Fischer

Bill Krummel wrote:
: Can the US paper currency shrink? That may be a question deserving of a
: "well, duh" answer, but in my life I have never seen an undersized bill.

It's called the "Sears Roebuck catalog in the
outhouse trick".

The catalogs had a lot of pages that were
crisp and shiny, and to make them usable, they
were waded up and straightened out a number of
times.
If that is done with a bill, it will get
smaller each time it is waded, because there
are more and more small wrinkles.
The wrinkles are random and if waded
properly enough times the bill can be made
almost any amount smaller.

Joe Fischer

--
3
Old September 14th 03, 05:24 PM
Barney

Cotton tends to shrink when washed in hot water and dried in a hot air
dryer.

Barney
Old September 14th 03, 06:10 PM
Fred

It will also shrink if you take a dollar bill and roll it up into a ball and
roll it inbetween your palms (like when you make meatballs).

After about 5 minutes, unroll it and compare it.

Fred

Old September 14th 03, 11:14 PM
Joe Fischer

Fred wrote:
: It will also shrink if you take a dollar bill and roll it up into a
: ball and roll it in between your palms (like when you make meatballs).
:
: After about 5 minutes, unroll it and compare it.

You've used a Sears catalog, haven't you? :-)

Joe Fischer

--
3