Abuse of email address

Old January 10th 04, 09:41 AM
Mette

Default Abuse of email address

It appears that some jerk is abusing my very private email
address, that is not published anywhere on the Internet,
neither on websites nor in newsgroups, nor eBay, nor PayPal,
nor elsewhere. Thus, spam is now constantly generating on
that address!

This can only mean that I myself have given my address
to someone whom I considered a friend, but who seems
to have betrayed my confidence.

Whoever you are, be notified now that the address in
question is closed, and that I have -- again -- another
private address, strictly reserved for private correspondence.

So far anyone can reach me at my Yahoo-address
heindorffstamps at yahoo dot dk
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
Return address invalid -- contact me at

Old January 10th 04, 09:58 AM
Didier Cuidet

Le Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:41:46 +0100, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
"Mette" a écrit :

It appears that some jerk is abusing my very private email
address, that is not published anywhere on the Internet,
neither on websites nor in newsgroups, nor eBay, nor PayPal,
nor elsewhere. Thus, spam is now constantly generating on
that address!

This can only mean that I myself have given my address
to someone whom I considered a friend, but who seems
to have betrayed my confidence.

I think that someone knowing your address has his computer infected by a
worm or a virus that copied his address book, and use random names in it
to send copies of it all around the world.

Such a copy may have been caught by spammers.

Nothing sufficient to believe that someone has betrayed your confidence,
excepted if you include less of prudence in that opinion.

--
DC
Old January 10th 04, 10:26 AM
Mette

"Mette" a écrit :

It appears that some jerk is abusing my very private email
address, that is not published anywhere on the Internet,
neither on websites nor in newsgroups, nor eBay, nor PayPal,
nor elsewhere. Thus, spam is now constantly generating on
that address!

This can only mean that I myself have given my address
to someone whom I considered a friend, but who seems
to have betrayed my confidence.

I think that someone knowing your address has his computer infected by a
worm or a virus that copied his address book, and use random names in it
to send copies of it all around the world.

Such a copy may have been caught by spammers.

Nothing sufficient to believe that someone has betrayed your confidence,
excepted if you include less of prudence in that opinion.

Thank you, both Rodney and Didier.
I do have my well founded suspicions, but would never
dare publish them here, since I cannot prove anything.

However, things are happening in sequences that are
not due to spammers but can only be done by an
ill-meaning individual. I am not being over-sensitive
nor hysterical.
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
return address invalid - contact at

Old January 10th 04, 02:04 PM
Victor Manta

"Mette" a écrit :

[...]

So Rodney, Didier, you have the merit to have tried to find an explanation,
even if unsuccessfully.

A suspicion is a suspicion, and, rational or not, it cannot be easily
eliminated.

Probably the best solution for suspicious persons in similar situations is
to never make known their personal e-mail addresses to RCSD participants
(because it is obviously one of us who is suspected, even if I don't
understand why this restriction).

What I cannot also understand is this:
"Whoever you are, be notified now that the address in
question is closed, and that I have -- again -- another
private address, strictly reserved for private correspondence."

If the e-mail address is closed, then the abusing person will be notified
when s/he tries again to mail to it, so that I wonder what brings this
announcement to the person who has made it public, and also what brings it
to all of us (because we cannot do something to find and to punish the
presumable guilty person).

Victor Manta

Old January 10th 04, 03:52 PM
Mette

Victor Manta wrote in message
- snip -

So Rodney, Didier, you have the merit to have tried to find an

explanation,
even if unsuccessfully.

A suspicion is a suspicion, and, rational or not, it cannot be easily
eliminated.

Probably the best solution for suspicious persons in similar situations is
to never make known their personal e-mail addresses to RCSD participants
(because it is obviously one of us who is suspected, even if I don't
understand why this restriction).

Thank you for your comments.
1) My personal email-address is not -- and has never been --
announced here.
2) I have never said that I suspect an RCSD-participant. A
similar post has been made to other groups that I read, and
where I (hope to) have friends who do know my personal
address. Other than that it could be a lurker, regular or
occasional in any group, who tries his/her luck on me.
3) The "pattern" of spam has been so atypical for normal
spamming, that it attracts attention. For reasons that I shall
not disclose here, it has obviously come from (an) ill-meaning
individual(s).

What I cannot also understand is this:
"Whoever you are, be notified now that the address in
question is closed, and that I have -- again -- another
private address, strictly reserved for private correspondence."

If the e-mail address is closed, then the abusing person will be notified
when s/he tries again to mail to it, so that I wonder what brings this
announcement to the person who has made it public, and also what brings it
to all of us (because we cannot do something to find and to punish the
presumable guilty person).

Not through my provider who offers no spam protection
whatsoever. No Danish provider does that. And I have
asked no-one for help finding the guilty person, but just
announced that the address in question is closed.

Mette

Old January 10th 04, 03:56 PM
Alan

Mette wrote:
[...]

Why are you even posting this information here in the first place ?.
Old January 10th 04, 04:40 PM
Mette

Alan wrote in message

- snip -

Why are you even posting this information here in the first place ?.

To try and locate the offender(s) to see if my suspicion
can bear.

Old January 10th 04, 04:48 PM
Victor Manta

"Mette" wrote in message
Alan wrote in message

- snip -

Why are you even posting this information here in the first place ?.

To try and locate the offender(s) to see if my suspicion
can bear.

And how is it supposed to work???

Victor Manta
(who tries to understand)

Old January 10th 04, 05:31 PM
Mette

Victor Manta wrote in message
"Mette" wrote in message
Alan wrote in message

- snip -

Why are you even posting this information here in the first place ?.

To try and locate the offender(s) to see if my suspicion
can bear.

And how is it supposed to work???

Why would I tell that here?
If you want to take similar action against those
who might spam you, you have to do it your own
way, not mine.