Rock-ola 429 "Starlet" dome lid half open/half closed

Old January 13th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Default Rock-ola 429 "Starlet" dome lid half open/half closed

Hi group,
I have a fairly serious problem that won't require any "technical" or
electronics knowledge to answer. On transporting a Rock-ola 429 juke,
the lid became locked on the left side, and ajar on the right side
(where the lock is for the cabinet key, #486). I don't want to pry up
on the lid, as I fear the silk-screened dome glass will surely break
(not good!).
I have tried "tapping" a cabinet key into the cabinet lock, hoping to
turn the lock to release the left side, but the key will not go into
the lock (I'm guessing something to do with the tumblers not lining up
correctly in the position the cabinet lock currently is in).
I feel the only safe way in is through the back door, that is held on
by those three little spring steel thing-a-ma-jigs. My questions are
these:
1) has this happened to anyone else before? If so, how did you get into
it?
2) Should I attempt to lift the bottom of the door panel out of the
slot that it rests into, or should I try to pry away the top of the
panel and then repair what's left of those three tabs that are released
(normally from the inside) once I get the lid freed up and opened?
3)If I succeed in getting into the cabinet from the rear, I still
anticipate some difficulty in getting around the mechanism to release
the rod that's keeping the left side of the cabinet locked down. If
this is the case, how do I best work around the mech to release it?
I realize these things were made to make entry from the outside without
a key difficult, but there has to be some way into it without totally
damaging stuff! Thanks for the help. Rob

Old January 13th 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Okay......I admit I panicked a couple of hours ago. I fixed the problem
totally by accident. I went and continued to try to tap the cabinet key
into the lock with a hammer. Before the key "bent" from tapping, part
of the key broke off inside the lock cylinder as I was attempting to
twist/turn the key while I was tapping the key into the lock.
At first, I uttered a couple of "expletive deletives". Then, I grabbed
a flat bladed screwdriver and "drove" the broken off portion of the key
deeper into the chamber. As I did, the lock cylinder turned, and the
lid glass "released" on the left side of the cabinet (which was
originally locked down tighter than a nun's ____!).
I don't make any apologies; I don't make this stuff up! But I do offer
this as a solution to anyone this may happen to in the future. This
stuff happens in the everyday world of the many "crises" that occur in
working on jukeboxes. Now, if I can only figure out how to get that
broken portion of the cabinet key (embedded in the lock cylinder) out
with out having to disassemble everything! Hoping this helps someone
else facing a similar problem in the future; thanks. Rob

Old January 14th 06, 01:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Funny thing reading about the hammer and screwdriver here when I will be
breaking out these very tools to help a friend of mine get in his newly
aquired Rockola 477. I got him the cabinet key solving the jukebox access
problem but those cash boxes all have their own locks. Tip: For those
newbies out there. I quickly learned you can waste a lot of time trying to
drill out a lock (the face is hard steel) and found it much more efficient
to just take a craftsmen screwdriver with the square shaft, hammer it into
the lock slot. Then hold it in place while turning it slowely with an
adjustable wrench. The hard steel face cracks right off and you just pick
out pieces or push them into the lock until your access problem is gone. I
have a drawer full of replacements which are a breeze to install. Ah yes
fond memories!!!!!!!!!!
"David Dibble" wrote in message
ahh the good ole hammer & screwdriver... Used it many times after some

twit
buggred up the lock trying to get into a machine

oups.com...