Postal Info

Old August 18th 08, 05:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3[_2_]

Default Postal Info

I've been out of the loop sending requests in 9x12 envelopes for the
last two postal hikes. I'm just now getting back into it, so I talked
to a postal worker to clarify some of the myths.

The metal clasp increases the price:
False. He said it has no basis at all.

"Do note bend":
True. He did verify that putting this on your envelopes will increase
the price as it has to actually be handled by a postal employee.

Cardboard:
True. This is kind of a no-brainer, but he said that the standard
brown 8x10 backers will increase your postage. He recommended using
manila folders and placing the picture and contents inside it. It's
not as thick, but it still provides enough protection that the mailman
will have to use some effort to bend it. Office Depot sells a
100-count box of their generic brand for $6.29 and tax. As a test,
I'm planning on writing "please return" on the folders in an attempt
to reuse them. I don't know if it'll work though. :-)

--

Mike
Gummby3

Old August 18th 08, 03:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I've sent out 6x8 or 6x9 envelopes and put 5x7 photos in there with
NOTHING to keep them from bending and I'd say maybe 2-3 items out of
200 came back damaged. I did turn around and resend to replace, but
the cost savings overall is still a ton less than doubling the price
(essentially 84 cents regularly without cardboard and 160 or little
more with it. So sending three times would be under 2 bucks whereas
and extra 197 times 80 sents exta give or take is a LOT more!

So I recommend cutting the size of what you send and collect something
smaller. I have a great Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and Pirates
of the Caribbean album that is more than half 5x7;s. I can fit more
into the albums too. You can buy 5x7 avery sheets so you get 4 items
on a page instead of two so it's double the amount as well. And it's
cooler for people to thumb through as they see four at a time...
instead of two.

Old August 18th 08, 03:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

I hate to agree, but I am all for not asking too much extra of the
celebs. It turns them off as you're already asking for them to sign,
seal and send out your item.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:32:27 -0700, "Tony Evans"
wrote:

I'm planning on writing "please return" on the folders in an attempt
to reuse them

Celebrities will think you're a weirdo and a cheapskate and won't even
bother to return the photos at all.

Old August 18th 08, 06:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Tony Evans[_4_]

"Do note bend":
True. He did verify that putting this on your envelopes will increase
the price as it has to actually be handled by a postal employee.

This practically guarantees the envelope will be purposely bent and the
contents destroyed. A high percentage of postal employees are disgruntled
and go out of their way to destroy anything marked "fragile" or "do not
bend"

Old August 18th 08, 07:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Yes, yes I do. If you don't like it, filter me out.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:28:27 -0700, "2008ny"
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

you have an answer to everything,don't you ?

Old August 18th 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3[_2_]

I've actually been going the custom index card route, as of late. One
stamp on each standard sized envelope and the nominal cost of an index
card. The problem is that I have a LOT of 8x10 pictures that I've
printed out of the years. Unfortunately, I ran into that bad day that
lasted the last 7 years and I was never able to get the money to mail
properly. Things are easing up, finally, in the real world, so I'm
playing catch up. I have always had the same contents in my 9x12s:
photo, request letter, cardboard backer, SASE, which comes to 3 oz.
every time. What used to cost .83¢ now costs $1.51 because of the
postage hikes. I have three 9x12s ready to go with the lighter
folder, instead of the cardboard. It's only reduced the package
weight by very little though.

Are the Avery sheets acid free? If not, Ultra Pro does sell 4-pocket
sheets too. That's what I've been using for the index cards.

--

Mike
Gummby3
-= Star Collector =-
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

news

Old August 18th 08, 08:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3[_2_]

What I've found out, since posting this last night, is that I have had
equal amount tell me that their PO does NOT charge for instructions on
the envelope and that their PO DOES charge up to a quarter for the
metal clasp and vice versa. There is a definite case of vague
interpretation of the Postal regulations per region and even per PO
which is resulting in the public being nickeled and dimed to death. A
little uniformity would be nice. :-) I just have to hope that the
inserts I put with the request package is enough to support
everything...

--

Mike
Gummby3
-= Star Collector =-
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

.. .

Old August 18th 08, 08:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Gummby3[_2_]

You know the old saying about opinions. LOL Besides, it would be the
pot calling the kettle black for a Hollywood resident to think others
are weird... Besides, I'm sure that they, or their assistants, would
like to be able to recycle. Regardless, I'll never know until I try.
Finally, if I worried about what Hollywood thought, I would be a
mindless political follower too and vote just because one of them said
to vote a certain way.

--

Mike
Gummby3
-= Star Collector =-
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

.. .